MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-10-2003, 06:50 AM   #1
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Default Gear Noise

I just had my 3.73s put in and they certainly make a bit of noise when you let off the gas. They have a good whine to them... is this a bad thing? It doesnt bother me really... just wanted to check if this is going to be a problem... I mean.. the mechanic didnt seem to think so, cause he told me about it when he gave me the car back... just checking
-as
Old 04-10-2003, 07:06 AM   #2
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

You shouldn't hear any kind of noise coming from the rear end. If so, he didn't install them correctly and the gears will wear out prematurally.
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:52 AM   #3
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

ugh... how do I go to him now and tell him he did a **** job.. he's just going to say it's normal... it's going to be impossible to get him to fix it... I can tell it allready
-as
Old 04-10-2003, 10:01 AM   #4
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

question: does it only whine when your turn, or at any time the wheels are moving?

When I blew my carrier and it made a whine noise whenever I turned. That's because one rear wheel was truning faster then the other. I installed my Alburon posi and havn't had a problem yet. If you can, jack up the rear end of your car (both wheels off the ground) and put the tranny in a gear. Rotate the drive shaft back and forth. If there is a lot of play, then he sucks as a mechanic. It should be pretty tight. Also, ask the dude if he put some chatter grease in the rear end. This helps with the friction and keeps the noise down.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:26 AM   #5
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Its a very audible whine whenever I let off the gas... PERIOD... it starts more when you get to like 30 MPH and up... if I just keep slight pressure on the gas it goes away... it's strictly when I let off... I've been trying to read up on this by searching... for the most part it seems to be NOT GOOD... though some say it's normal... tough to tell.. its only been a couple days... I'll give it some time and see what happens but I dont wanna kill the gears... though if they are cooked then I would expect him to replace them eitherway..
-as
Old 04-10-2003, 10:36 AM   #6
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Some people believe in this, and some think it's a bunch of crap... but did you give them time to break in though the heat cycles? You are suppose to drive it for 30 min (hot) and then let it cool off (cold). Do this three times before you romp on the car. I know it's really hard, but drive "normal".

My guess is that your carrier is blown -or- the lashing/pattern of the gears are too tight.

Either way, you need to go back to him and have him fix the problem. He should warrent it.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:39 AM   #7
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

He said nothing about a break in period... though I will give it some time... the rear end was perfectly quiet with the stock gears.. infact he said the gears that came out of it looked like they will still new...
-as
Old 04-10-2003, 10:43 AM   #8
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Give it some time. Within a weeks time, you'll know if there is something worng with them. They will either work or blow up. Do the heat cycles and go from there.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:07 AM   #9
94snake
Registered Member

Default WHINING

I had a set of 4.10's installed in my 94 cobra. The guy who put mine in told me to break them in first before romping on them. He said i should drive it for a lil bit then let them cool. I did this several times and about after a week, they were broken in and they stopped whining. Give it a couple more days and see what happens. If they dont stop whining, you should go back to him.
94snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 02:08 PM   #10
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

My gears sounded like my rear end was going to explode at times right after I got them. But, after about 5 days or so, they quieted down and I haven't had a problem since. Hopefully this will be the case with your's also.

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote