MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-29-2000, 12:39 AM   #1
T-Bone
Registered Member

Question Gears N' Stuff

Curious what the Factory Gears are in my 96' GT and if 3.73's increase the amount of torque when accelerating through the lower range of RPM's. That's kinda what I'm gathering from reading here. Is 3.73 what I should get?
Also wonderin' exactly where this Air Silencer is to remove. Got any pictures? Currently waiting on my Chilton's manual before I can get down and dirty with the beast.
Thanks
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2000, 09:12 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Talking

Hmmm,
I think factory install for a 96 is 2.73 for 5 speed, 3.08 for auto, and 3.27 were optional for both. Are you running a 5 speed or auto?

3.73 is a great choice for the GT's power band, and it doesn't cut much off the top end or much off your gas mileage either.

I'm also still learning the details of the gear=torque=HP issues, but I am pretty sure that you do increase torque by increasing your gear ratio...(ie 3.73)

The formula for HP is HP = Torque X RPM/5252

But hear's a more down to earth explaination:

Think about riding a 10 speed bicycle:
If you put your bicycle in a low gear, you can accelerate faster, but your top speed is less (in that gear) because you reach your maximum RPM (leg HP ;-) at a lower speed. Put a bike in a higher gear and you can go faster, but you can't accelerate as fast. However, your body strength (HP) will stay the same in any gear.

When it comes down to it, the 4.6's power band is much higher in the RPMs than a 5.0's.
You want to get to that power band as quickly as possible to maxinize your performance.

The air silencer is located on the side of the air filter housing. It connects the air filter housing (where your filter resides), to the inside of the passenger side fender. If I remember correctly, there is just one bolt and one clamp to remove both the housing and silencer. Take the silencer off, replace the housing, and viola! You're done... You should be able to see part of the filter through the hole on the passenger side of the housing....

The Chilton's manual for your vehicle is #26608. Haynes manual is #36051.

Hope this helps...

------------------
98 GT
Dyno-Max cat-back exhaust, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, Ford Motorsport Underdrive pullies, 87mm MAF and Roush cold air kit...

[This message has been edited by Hammer (edited 01-29-2000).]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2000, 09:16 PM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Oops,
Forgot to tell you that your air filter will want to run away with the housing as you remove it. Be sure that it doesn't make a dirty trip to your engine or the ground!
Hammer
Old 01-30-2000, 12:24 AM   #4
T-Bone
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info, Hammer. My Stang is a 5-speed(wouldn't have it any other way).
Now, off to the garage to take off that air silencer!

Thanks again.
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2000, 12:51 AM   #5
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Gears don't increase the torque of the engine, but they increase the drive force at the wheels. Like in the bike analogy, in first gear your legs aren't exerting any more torque to the pedals, but there is more force applied between the wheels and ground, then there would be in 2nd gear.

3.73s seem to be the choice for GTs. To make them even more effective consider buying a shifter also. It makes for a really nice combination.

------------------
'97 Cobra, K&N, Flowmaster, subframes, 4.10 gears, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Steeda G-Trac 3, Cobra R wheels w/ Goodyear F1s

My Ride

97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2000, 01:24 AM   #6
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Thanks for the correction Snake...

As I said before, I'm still learning the true "physics" of HP, torque and acceleration. But it seems the bike analogy works well in this instance. Actually, it was the exact same anology that I was given when I was curious about the effects of different gear ratios. If it works, use it... ;-)

Snake is also right about the shifter, you'll definately want to put in an after market shifter (Steeda Tri-Ax or Pro 5.0) to take full advantage of your gears...

------------------
98 GT
Dyno-Max cat-back exhaust, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, Ford Motorsport Underdrive pullies, 87mm MAF and Roush cold air kit...

Old 02-01-2000, 01:15 PM   #7
Red96GT
Registered Member

Rear gear ratio multiplies the torque delivered by the engine, as do the transmission ratios of each gear.

Check out my web page under tech info on rear gears. It explains it in pretty understandable terms...

------------------
96 GT: KB subs, March pulleys, Bassani X pipe, 3.73's, alum. drive shaft, 70mm TB, K&N, KB Carbon Kevlar BP, Steeda Tri-ax shifter, Flowmasters, MSD wires, H&R springs, Tokico Illuminas

MM C/C plate & GW RLCA sitting in the garage waiting for a free weekend...

Red96GT's home page

[This message has been edited by Red96GT (edited 02-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Red96GT (edited 02-01-2000).]
Red96GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2000, 10:23 AM   #8
GaryDawg
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Wow! That was some great information! I got the optional 3.27 axle on my '98 GT and it sure kicks! I already plan on a Tri-Ax shifter but if I up the gears to 3.73 will it affect my speedometer? How much and is there a fix?

Thanks!
http://home.earthlink.net/~siriusmoon/ponyrear.html

------------------
'98 Rio Red (Clearcoat) Ragtop Mustang GT
3.27 optional ratio axle
17" Pony Sport wheels
K&N Air charger
Removed Air Silencer
Great lookin blonde passenger!
Vegas Baby!!!
Next to come...
Kenny Brown Matrix Kit
Steeda shifter

GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2000, 01:45 PM   #9
Red96GT
Registered Member

Yep, it'll mess up your speedo. Maybe 5 mph or so. You can get a 23 tooth speedo gear for the trans for about $16, but they tend to wear out pretty quick b/c there's so many teeth.
Another option are the new electronic compensators, which also allow you to recalibrate the speedometer for tire changes as well, via dip switches. Granted, it's a little more than the speedo gear (ballpark $175) but also much more versatile and more accurate..

------------------
96 GT: KB subs, March pulleys, Bassani X pipe, 3.73's, alum. drive shaft, 70mm TB, K&N, KB Carbon Kevlar BP, Steeda Tri-ax shifter, Flowmasters, MSD wires, H&R springs, Tokico Illuminas

MM C/C plate & GW RLCA sitting in the garage waiting for a free weekend...

Red96GT's home page
Old 02-03-2000, 12:55 AM   #10
RedGTvert
Registered Member

Red. a little correction from another red here. The Abbot ERA which is the speedo compensator I use is $120 from Houston Performance.

Also, when we dynoed my car after putting 3.73's in it was off 8 mph. Once the Abbot was in there, dead on accurate.

Abbot is also good if you decide to ever go to bigger tires, since you can reset it for the changes.
RedGTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2000, 08:26 AM   #11
Red96GT
Registered Member

general vs. specific

I said 5 mph or so, it's been a long time and I couldn't remember exactly...

I said ballpark $175, as I don't have one...

GaryDawg, now you've got the straight dope..