MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-10-2000, 08:36 PM   #1
T-Bone
Registered Member

Question Gears Question

Gears are definitely going to be my next mod, probably next month. If I get a set of 3.73's do I need to get the kit that includes the transmission fluid, friction modifier, shims, etc. or will the Transmission shop have these things? And if they do have them, will they overcharge me for them? What is a reasonable gear installation rate if you bring in all the parts? Thanks

oh yeah, is the 23 tooth speedo gear the one I need?

------------------
96' GT
5-speed,K&N air filter,Roush Cold Air kit,80mm MAF,Mac Cat-Back,Mac Pro Chamber H-Pipe
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select654.htm

[This message has been edited by T-Bone (edited 04-10-2000).]
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2000, 01:14 PM   #2
T-Bone
Registered Member

I don't know what brand they are. I saw an ad at MustangWorld.com under the classifieds: Group Purchases. It was a complete gear kit for $195 shipped. It included: 3.73's, 2 quartz of Royal Purple 75W90, 1 Bottle of Ford friction modifier, and a 23 tooth speedo gear. It sounds like a good deal to me? What do you guys think? The ad isn't there anymore but I called them and they still offer it.
I don't guess it comes with the shims, crush sleeve, or pinion nut and seal, which you mentioned, 96GTS. Would they have them at the transmission shop? How much are these things?
Old 04-11-2000, 07:58 PM   #3
95GTS
Git jiggy

Most have them though some don't. Most transmission shops here don't work on rearends. Just transmissions. The parts like the shims, seal, crush sleeve are cheap. Usually the ring and pinion comes with the pinion nut at least. The price they have is about what it would run you if you bought the parts separately by themselves yourself (w/FMS Gears). Not really getting any discount. Maybe a little bit. The shims run around $10; the crush sleeve, if it doesn't come with the new gear set, is about $2-3; the pinion seal is about $11. If nothing else use the old pinion nut if the new gear set doesn't have one. Depending on the mileage and treatment of the car you may or may not have to change bearings, too. If low mileage you won't need new bearings.
FMS 3.73s=$149
3 quarts (you will need a little over 2)=about $3-4/qt.
Ford Friction Modifier=$6
23 tooth speedo gear=$15

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS
K&N, removed air silencer, 3.55s, turndowns after H-pipe (no mufflers)
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2000, 11:31 PM   #4
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

23 tooth speedo gear, yes. I'm getting ready to put in my 3.73s. I presently have 3.55s in right now. they're an improvement but I'm going a step higher. you'll need the fluid 80W 90 some people use other wts. but this is Ford's recomm. (3 quarts but won't use it all), friction modifier (if the fluid doesn't already have it in it), crush sleeve, shims, pinion seal. what brand of ring and pinion are you using? The FMS gears come with pinion nut and crush sleeve.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS
Old 04-17-2000, 04:18 PM   #5
T-Bone
Registered Member

Well guys, I made some money selling stuff on ebay so I'm trying to order my gears. Where are you getting the gears and other parts at such cheap prices. I've read that some of you got gears and had them installed for under $300. I'm having trouble finding all the parts I need for that price.
I called National Drivetrain. Their prices are: Gears 139.95(reasonable), and the bearing and seal kit(everything else needed, except speedo gear) $85. Total-$225
Then I called the only Ford dealer in town to get the speedo gear, and the guy tries telling me that the most teeth they make is a 21 toother. I told him that I need the 23, they make it, and when I get it I'll take it in there and show him.
So I called Mustangs Unlimited for the speedo gear, they want $20+shipping.

Where can I find better prices?

Thanks
Old 04-17-2000, 05:54 PM   #6
97snakedriver
Registered Member

$20 + shipping is a little expensive but not at all out of line. I paid $15 + shipping for mine. The Ford guy is right, the 21 tooth is highest driven speedo gear Ford makes. To do it using Ford parts you would have to replace the drive and driven gears, not just the driven gear. That means pulling at least the drive shaft and probably the transmission out. $20 and about 5 minutes of work is a much better solution.

------------------
'97 Cobra, K&N, Flowmaster, subframes, 4.10 gears, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Steeda G-Trac 3, Cobra R wheels w/ Goodyear F1s
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2000, 12:02 PM   #7
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Diversified Products Marketing:$149 FMS gears in 3.55s, 3.73s, or 4.10s ($159 w/shipping included)
I forget the name of the place I got the 23 tooth speedo gear from but Diversified can tell you. Look in the MM&FF for all this stuff too. $15+shipping for the 23 tooth. ($19.99 total)

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS
Old 04-19-2000, 07:23 PM   #8
T-Bone
Registered Member

Question

How much did you guys pay for installation? And, does the transmission shop also install the speedo gear?
Old 04-20-2000, 10:12 AM   #9
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Ford's rate for the gear install, if you have all the parts, is $195. Most places charge from $200-$400 (some places get a bit ridiculous). Mine was done for $100 cause I know some people. It's always so nice to have lots of friends. They can also put in the speedo gear too. Very easy to do.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS
K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, turndowns after H-pipe (no mufflers)

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 04-20-2000).]
Old 04-20-2000, 10:57 AM   #10
T-Bone
Registered Member

I just got off the phone. I called DriveTrain Direct and they have the FMS gears on special for $179 right now(cheapy's are $125, but they talked me into the FMS). For 2 pinion bearings and 1 pinion seal-$39. s/h-$17.
Steeda has the speedo gear for $16.
Then I called the 3 local transmissions shops and this is what they quoted me for the install:
1st- approx. $150
2nd- aprrox. $225
3rd- doesn't install other peoples products(because of problems in the past, yeah right!), because they want to over charge you for them, I bet.
I think I'll go with that $150 install, it sounds good.

So the total for parts is-$250
install-$150
For a grand total of around $400.

I think I've done enough research to conclude that these are the best prices I'm gonna get, so hopefully in a couple weeks I'll be adding "FMS 3.73's" to my MWorks signature.

Thanks for the input, guys!

[This message has been edited by T-Bone (edited 04-20-2000).]
Old 04-24-2000, 05:47 PM   #11
Rays 88 gt
Registered Member

If I were you I would get a couple 23 tooth speedo gears..Reason, ford doesn't make that gear because it wears out too fast, and it is only somewhat accurate, and when they do wear out they leave a piece of plastic in your tranny. My buddy is on his second one. His only lasted 10k miles.

The solution, look to Houston performance for their Abbout speedo compensator (about $129, install in about 30 min.) You won't be sorry. I know Guys are going to respond and say that there 23 tooth gears are fine, but trust me on this one, it will save you trouble in the long run. If the 23 tooth gear was good for your car, ford would make it. (FMS is currently developing a compensator!!!)
Rays 88 gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2000, 01:52 PM   #12
T-Bone
Registered Member

I got the last of my parts ordered today. Hopefully, I got everything I need.
FMS 3.73's from Diversified-$160 w/ s&h
Minor repair kit(inner pinion bearing and race, outer pinion bearing, crush sleeve, pinion nut and seal)from Drivetrain Direct-$56 w/ s&h
23 tooth speedo gear from Steeda-$23 w/ s&h

Am I missing anything? The guys at the parts stores were really confusing me. Different people were telling me different things I needed, even at the same shop...
Old 04-26-2000, 12:42 AM   #13
97snakedriver
Registered Member

I had the same "23 tooth gears wear out quickly" discussion 15,000 miles ago. I've heard that from enough people that I believe it, but as of yet, it hasn't worn out.

I wasn't charged to have the gear installed, but considering how easy it is and how much business I had given the guy, I would be upset if I had been. I had the car tested after the instalation. It was within 3 mph up to 100 mph. That is well within stock tolerences.

I'll post it if anything changes, but as of now, the 23 tooth option looks good.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2000, 05:31 PM   #14
T-Bone
Registered Member

Well, I finally got my gears installed this weekend. Wow! What a difference! I also installed a new Steeda Tri-ax shifter to complement those gears.
The install cost me $170, for a total of around $420. Not too bad. I also put in a 70mm FMS TB.
The March U/D pulleys are in the box in the garage. Hopefully will get those in this weekend. Any advice or suggestions before I dive into that project(besides the ones on MustangWorld.com's site)?
I also have the '99 intake manifold coming in the mail. Not sure yet when that will go in. More parts(heads and a few $100's worth of other stuff)and info needed first.
Is a 180 degree thermostat recommended? I tried to get one from Mustangs Unlimited last week with the other stuff, but they were out of stock.

Thanks

------------------
'96 GT
5-speed,K&N air filter,Roush Cold Air kit,80mm MAF,Mac Cat-Back,Mac Pro Chamber H-Pipe, FMS 3.73's, FMS 70mm TB, Steeda Tri-ax

T-Bone's '96 GT