MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-23-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
Duane'97gt2v
Registered Member

Default Going into my 4.6 soon

I plan on getting into my 4.6 pretty soon, runs perfect though. No oil is leaking or burning. I'm going to add "PI" heads and intake, upper plenium, cold air, throttle body and headers. Should I go ahead and pull the whole block out and have it cleaned and replace the stock componets w/new? I feel I should add forged pistons also 'cause have future plans (1 yr. or so)of adding roots style supercharger, or should I just leave the bottom-end alone despite having 101,000 miles of no problems on it? Which headers should I go with '96-'98 or '99 up? I'm pretty sure '99 and up due to "PI" heads, but not certain, and what throttle body size, want to run BBK but not sure on size. I found a forged pistons rebuild kit in Summit for a little under $800.00, and pulling the block and replacing the bottom-end could seriously be felt on my budget and extended garage time( even with help of friends) any replys will be appreciated. Oh yeah, has anyone else ever broke into one of these mod motors? I hear it's rather time consuming and a head-ache.
Duane'97gt2v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:04 PM   #2
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Default Re: Going into my 4.6 soon

I think if I was going to start moddin' a 4.6 with 101K miles I would go ahead and go through the block while I was at it. It may run perfect now, but go adding horsepower and possibly a heavy foot and who knows how long it will be before you have to go back into it. Go ahead and build the bottom end now so it can handle the mods you have planned for it.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:10 AM   #3
302mazda
Registered Member

Cool Re: Going into my 4.6 soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange97GTVert
I think if I was going to start moddin' a 4.6 with 101K miles I would go ahead and go through the block while I was at it. It may run perfect now, but go adding horsepower and possibly a heavy foot and who knows how long it will be before you have to go back into it. Go ahead and build the bottom end now so it can handle the mods you have planned for it.
he has already add the heavy foot part lol
302mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 07:37 AM   #4
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

With 110 on the odometer, it would be wise to rebuild the entire block. In my experience (w/ fleet Crown Vics) 100,000 + miles gets close to the compression ring failure area. It is not to say that you would experience failure, you just run the risk...
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
surfbeast
Registered Member

Pull and replace or just buy a good used low milage 4.6. In good shape it can handle boost and you may save money on all the labor and trouble involved in rebuilding and old NPI block.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:25 AM   #6
Duane'97gt2v
Registered Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the replys and advice!!!
Duane'97gt2v is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: