MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-12-2002, 07:05 PM   #1
MineralGray02K
Registered Member

Talking Got my first mustang today..02..basic questions

I bought it with 50 miles on it, now its got 400 miles on it because it's so fun to drive, I just can't stop driving it! It's Mineral Grey (i spelt my username wrong, oops), GT, 5 speed, Mach 460, black leather interior, the works...I have just a few basic questions.....

First off, and most importantly, anything I should know about the car in general?

What octane gas should I use? Book says 87, but 89 sounds like a better idea to me.

Is there a brake in period for the engine or does it not really matter?

Will an aftermarket cold air intake system void warantee? If so, will a K & N drop in void?

What does the car peak at? 260 hp at what RPM's?

Finally, which performance mods to the car will NOT void the warantee.
MineralGray02K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 07:25 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Congrats on your new stang!
Unless you have a timing adjuster or run forced induction there is no reason to use anything more than 87 octane. Higher octane gas just burns slower (takes more temperature and pressure to ignite), so if you don't need it there is no point in paying more for it.
Aftermarket cold air kits don't add much power, so unless you want it for the looks you are better off just ripping out your intake silencer and dropping in a K&N. They may hassle your for a CAI on warranty, but they won't for a drop-in K&N.
Basically anything more than a K&N and a catback is going to depend on the delaership whether they want to hassle you about the warranty or not. Other than that you can try things that they aren't as likely to notice.
Peak power on a stock 99+ GT comes at 5250 rpm.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 09:01 PM   #3
MineralGray02K
Registered Member

Thank you very much.....Very informative!! I plan on attemping the sound dampering intake removal mod very soon, as well as dropping in a K & N filter. Maybe get a pony or 2, and hopefully louder intake and exhaust! Thanks again, good luck!

P.S. When I drive my turbo Volvo around, no other volvo owners wave to me...The mustang society seems to be a lot nicer because they all wave at me!
MineralGray02K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 12:23 AM   #4
StangGT02
Registered Member

hey congrats on the car i got the same one......i put in a k&n and took out the silencer, and trust me its something that you WANT to do it sounds so much better after you take it out when you push it pretty hard, my stock stang is louder than a friend of mine who put flowmaster exhausts on his honda and its deep loudness not to mention, although its not much but you can feel a power difference at least i can on mine. o and you can see the engine better too with that huge silencer thing out so its good for looks too
StangGT02 is offline   Reply With Quote