MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-08-2003, 12:25 PM   #1
sjlawr
vlgeideyot

Default Gears

I am considering putting gears in my 01 V6, but i need some help. I really do not know much about the topic. What companies are good, and what ratio should i go with. Also what else do i need to buy besides the gears. Thanks
sjlawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 03:10 PM   #2
Miss Mischief
Registered Member

Default Re: Gears

Quote:
Originally posted by sjlawr
I am considering putting gears in my 01 V6, but i need some help. I really do not know much about the topic. What companies are good, and what ratio should i go with. Also what else do i need to buy besides the gears. Thanks
When it comes to Hard parts I have always Relied On TRW I just finished my 2000 V-6 Rear end But I Put the Original 3:73's back Into it they Just happen to be TRW the 3:73's seem to match the engine and all around performance of a stock or slightly Modified 3.8L.

RHC#153 Proud to carry the Card

2000 V-6 5 speed Frame Braces [Steeda] [Wanna be Cobra] 17" Rims with Kuhmo 245's 5 Spoke Gunmetal finish [Power Dyne] Blower Unpolished 6 psi {Mods to Come} [Steeda] Springs slightly lower then stock [Steeda] Anti sway bars front and rear.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Big six 5 speed Infinty Bose steroe Lots of Creatures Comforts [Mods] Brush/ Push bar Full length Welded and Bolted , Tow Hook Front and Rear 30" Goodyear AT's .
Miss Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 03:58 PM   #3
GodStang
College Stanger

I would not put anything in but FRPP gears. I have 3.73's and like them. They are Richmond and I may sell them and buy FRPP 3.73's cause the Richmond are noisy. You also need the shims and gaskets to put in the gears and rear end fluid.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:19 PM   #4
84LX89GT
Mustangs

I would only buy the Ford Racing gears because i've never heard anything bad about them. To install gears you need to have a dial indicator for checking backlash as well as a depth tube and gauge block set for checking pinion depth. You adjust the pinion depth first with the shims supplied with the gears, then adjust the backlash by changing the carrier housing shims. Also make sure if you do it, to do a pattern check with gear marking compound to verify you've done it right. If the gears are installed incorrectly they can break or make noise.
You could also have your gears installed by a shop for a moderate price.
I'd probably recommend 3.73 for manual and 4.10 for automatic. If you get gears for an auto, i'd also recommend your next mod be a higher stall torque converter, which would really wake up your car.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 09:55 PM   #5
Miss Mischief
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: Gears

Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Mischief
When it comes to Hard parts I have always Relied On TRW I just finished my 2000 V-6 Rear end But I Put the Original 3:73's back Into it they Just happen to be TRW the 3:73's seem to match the engine and all around performance of a stock or slightly Modified 3.8L.
Oh! Very Inportent to Note Here about shims Fluid etc Because everyone changes there gear Oil anually You had better have your Eye open for Metal shavings in the Bottom of the rear end they blend in well and arent easy to pick up make shure you whip the bottom clean any gritty feelling is shaveings the easiest way to pick them up is with a magnet re whip to check for more grit Reapat this Process with a clean Paper towel over and over DO NOT USE bare hands putting some 10w-40 on the paper towel helps the grit and shaveings stick to the paper as well.

Ps this is a Great Time to send out your Stock Drive shaft to have it Balanced as well.

RHC#153 Proud to carry the Card

2000 V-6 5 speed Frame Braces [Steeda] [Wanna be Cobra] 17" Rims with Kuhmo 245's 5 Spoke Gunmetal finish [Power Dyne] Blower Unpolished 6 psi {Mods to Come} [Steeda] Springs slightly lower then stock [Steeda] Anti sway bars front and rear.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Big six 5 speed Infinty Bose steroe Lots of Creatures Comforts [Mods] Brush/ Push bar Full length Welded and Bolted , Tow Hook Front and Rear 30" Goodyear AT's .
Miss Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote