MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-08-2002, 12:16 PM   #1
mhgreenstreet
Registered Member

Default New member, new car

Hello all,

I have been lurking on your board for the last couple of weeks and have gained a lot of knowledge. Thank you. I recently purchased an '02 GT Premium package for my wife and had a question about the shift points. Sorry its an automatic. I was curious if there is anything mods that will give the car a more classic acceleration feel? I am used to feeling the car lunge when I step on the gas pedal, but this one feels like it holds back. Also if I can draw from your experiences, The car seems to hesitate when it upshifts. Could this be from the thottle position sensor? Example, If I suddenly press the pedal to about a third of the way, the car immediately responds, but seems to plane slightly before it shifts. Is this the nature of these cars in their stock form? Thanks for any input.
mhgreenstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 01:06 PM   #2
gilmoujr
Registered Member

From everything that I have read, you need a performance chip (DiabloSport makes one that will change the shift points and make a cleaner shift). I have a 5-speed so I am not speaking from experience, just what I have read from others and reviews on various aftermarket parts.
gilmoujr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 05:03 PM   #3
96GTPRT
Registered Member

The chip is an excellent idea and you may also want to look in to some gears to help with acceleration. 3.73's would be good and your wife wouldnt mind them but if you want you could go with 4.10's.
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 06:24 PM   #4
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

I have an auto GT too. Here's how it works: Install an Xpipe, C&L 80mm MAF kit, and pulleys. That will make your car pull through the RPM range much easier. Next, throw some 4.10 gears and a chip in. At this point, you will enjoy your auto very much Good luck.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing

Last edited by StoplightWarrior; 06-09-2002 at 01:11 AM..
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote