MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-13-2001, 12:42 AM   #1
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Unhappy H-pipe Blues..Wont seal up

Well, today me and Tim C finally put my offroad H-pipe on my 2000 GT. It leaks out of the collector on the drivers side. Spent to many hours to have a damn exhaust leak. I hate those damn cone exhaust fittings. Guess I know what I'll be doing tommorrow.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 03:27 PM   #2
purebred94
Registered Member

Hey man, I know what you're going through. My buddies and I put Ford Motorsport Headers on to my 94 with a bassani X-pipe. We ended up getting a little to tourqe happy with the wrench and managed to bend the flange on the header. Needless to say, that was a major exhaust leak! I found out that it would cost more than they were worth to fix them, so I just bought some BBK equal length headers and finally put them on yesterday. We made sure to be careful so now there is no leak. However I know have major vibration when I step on the gas. My mechanic friend assures me that is normal with the equal length headers. I'm not so sure. Anyway, good luck

94 Mustang GT auto. w/shift kit, 3:55 gears, underdrive pulleys, 70mm throttle body, K&N, BBK equal length headers, bassani x-pipe w/high flow cats, flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers.

64 1/2 Mustang 260 V8, project car.
purebred94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 10:05 PM   #3
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Talking

Well, after two hours of tinkering, we got them to seal up real good. Happy Happy JOY JOY.

Last night she ran like mush, ran rich as hell, and fumed me out, giving me a headache. I was very upset. Its all okay now though.

I reset the computer, and everything is working awesome now. SOunds mean even with stock mufflers. Has a very noticable improvemtn in low end grunt (which the 4.6 needs) and through out the whole RPM range. Throttle response is quicker and crisper. Oh god, I'm so damn excited. Cant wait to put my next mods on.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 04:00 PM   #4
Moxie
Registered Member

They way I usually fix an exhaust leak is to let the engine run for several minutes, until the exhaust pipes are really hot. Then put on gloves, and tighten the bolts as much as you can. When the pipes cool, they'll contract, and form a tight seal. The pipes usually stayed sealed after that.

------------------
Moxie Racing

The Nitrous Oxide Information Site
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote