MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-10-2004, 10:56 PM   #1
Mop
Registered Member

Default Hate to sound ignorant

Could someone please explain to me the "what and why" it's a modular engine.............just like to know for sure.
Mop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:44 AM   #2
Mop
Registered Member

Do I get a special prize for stumping the audience????/ Don't worry about it, I found my answer.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:32 PM   #3
explicitone
Registered Member

because its interchangable

you mix and match most of the mod motor parts

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 08:33 PM   #4
Mop
Registered Member

The Modular engine focuses on low friction, excellent sealing and increased block stiffness. The design results
in an extremely smooth running engine using aluminum heads and having all accessories rigidly mounted to the engine.
Both the engine block and head are machined to close tolerances to produce a very precise assembly. The head bolts of
modular engines actually extend past the cylinder bores into the bearing webs, eliminiating bore distortion and providing
a better head gasket seal. The overhead cam design uses roller finger followers to lower friction and increase
the RPM potential of the engine. Like I said I found what I was looking for.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:00 PM   #5
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mop
The Modular engine focuses on low friction, excellent sealing and increased block stiffness. The design results
in an extremely smooth running engine using aluminum heads and having all accessories rigidly mounted to the engine.
Both the engine block and head are machined to close tolerances to produce a very precise assembly. The head bolts of
modular engines actually extend past the cylinder bores into the bearing webs, eliminiating bore distortion and providing
a better head gasket seal. The overhead cam design uses roller finger followers to lower friction and increase
the RPM potential of the engine. Like I said I found what I was looking for.
that is all true and well said but it is not why ford called it the modular motors

in a interview awhile back with a one of the guys that designed this motor was asked the same ? and he awnsered it the same way I did
and that come from ford it self

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:53 AM   #6
JBeryleC
Registered Member

I've also heard it explained as... each cylinder is its own block, 4 of these blocks lined up in a row, and your head bolted on top

Whats cool about that is if you get some engine damage you dont have to replace the whole block as with a 5.0... just replace the one block that holds the cylinder with the damage.

True or what??
BBK long tubes, BBK h-pipe, MAC mufflers, K&N w/ silencer trimmed, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L plenum, Mobil1 synthetic fluids, FRPP aluminum drive shaft, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, FRPP 4.10's, 18x9 & 18x10 Saleens with Dunlop SP Super Sport Race rubber, Mach1 grill (GT delete), & Mach1 bumper chin!
Click here for pictures & more info!

If you are in Northern California, check out North Bay Mustang Club for local meets and cruises!
JBeryleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 03:58 AM   #7
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Quote:
Originally posted by JBeryleC
I've also heard it explained as... each cylinder is its own block, 4 of these blocks lined up in a row, and your head bolted on top

Whats cool about that is if you get some engine damage you dont have to replace the whole block as with a 5.0... just replace the one block that holds the cylinder with the damage.

True or what??
Ummmm...No.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 04:01 AM   #8
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

What you, or the person that told you might of got mixed up with is the engine has sleeves for cylinder bores. You can replace the sleeve by boring it out (not cheap..just as someone with a Big Bore Modular 5.0)

If you send a rod through the block..the whole thing is toast. Same applies for all other engines..

That would be cool if the had some kind of lego engine though.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 07:21 AM   #9
429mustang
Registered Member

I hear it's called modular cause it moves from place to place when you drive it, like a modular home. Get it Actually it's modular cause you can move the engine to different locations in the car like the trunk or whatnot to make it faster, kinda like them TORNADO intakes. Maybe they thought it would sound cool, "that engine in the mustangs totally modular!" ??????????????
Old 03-19-2004, 11:48 AM   #10
Mop
Registered Member

The quote I use came from Ford Racing, so it actuall is why they call it a "Modular Motor". I'll give you the whole quote so I don't leave anything out.

MODULAR V-8 ENGINES

4.6L SOHC, 4.6L DOHC, 5.4L SOHC

In 1991, Ford unleashed a new era of muscle, one that is propelling us into the future. The Modular
engine focuses on low friction, excellent sealing, and increased block stiffness. The design results in an
extremely smooth running engine using aluminum heads and having all accessories rigidly mounted to
the engine. Both the engine block and head are machined to close tolerances to produce a very precise
assembly. The head bolts of modular engines actually extend past the cylinder bores into the bearing
webs, eliminating bore distortion and providing a better head gasket seal. The sophisticated overhead
cam design uses roller finger followers to lower friction and increase the RPM potential of the engine.
On the bottom end, the deep skirt engine block and cross-bolted main caps contribute to a highly rigid
assembly. Two engine plants manufacture Modular engines; Romeo produces all passenger car versions
and Windsor produces the Modular Truck engines. Here’s a brief description of Modular V-8 engines.

4.6L SOHC

The 4.6L SOHC (2V) was first introduced in 1991. This engine is the basis for all modular engines
and is used in passenger car as well as the trucks. The block is cast iron with a nodular crankshaft,
while the heads are aluminum using an in-line valve design with 1 intake and 1 exhaust valve per
cylinder. All passenger cars have press fit piston pins, while all truck engines have full floating piston
pins to improve durability.

4.6L DOHC

The 4.6L DOHC (4V) was first introduced in the Mark VIII; however, in 1996 a similar version of
this engine found its calling the Mustang Cobra. The aluminum block and four valve head make for a
powerful combination producing 305 HP @ 7000 RPM. Internally, the 4 bolt, cross-bolted main bearing
caps provide the support necessary to easily handle the high RPM potential of the forged steel crankshaft.
This engine uses hypereutectic pistons with full floating piston pins and upgraded connecting rod
assemblies to improve durability.

5.4L SOHC

The 5.4L SOHC (2V) “Triton” engine released in trucks for 1997 is producing favorable reactions.
This engine has a cast iron block, forged steel crankshaft, full floating piston pins and special 6000 RPM
connecting rods. It is the 5.8L “pushrod engine” replacement.

And this came directly from Ford Racing.com