View Single Post
Old 03-30-2002, 03:44 PM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Cool

Getting into the technicalities of the GT40P vs GT40 Iron heads is probably best left to the Windsor Power Forum. Trust me though, the GT40P heads are superior, not to mention the fact that I'll be buying headers for either heads so it really doesn't matter.

Like I said earlier, the price of modifying the cars will basically be the same. While people seem to think the 5.0L is dirt cheap to modify, it's not when you consider the PI head swap on the 4.6L. Either combination will wind up running $1800-2000 when all is said and done. If I was trying to get more than 320hp, I would not be going N/A. There are just too many sacrifices. Poor fuel economy, loss of drivability, and reliability issues begin to surface, even on the 5.0.

The custom cam route is way overrated IMHO. Unless I was going with forced induction/N20, there is no reason to take the chance with drivability on the 94-95GT computers. The Steeda #19 is .480/.480 220/226 with an LSA of 115. It works very well with the 94-95GT computer systems (which are junk anyway), and I'm going with a mild cam. I don't put a lot of faith in the current ideas about camshafts. The XE Series cams from Comp Cams are a joke, and the fact people are buying into it disturbs me. Large cams are not warranted for anything but the most aggressive N/A EFI combinations.

While the 5.0 is certainly king of the street yet, the 4.6L has come into it's own, even with a limited aftermarket catering to it. In my opinion, it's not always best to have a huge aftermarket with lots of bad players in it. The first gen 4.6L has really stumbled upon a gold mine with the PI heads. The only question I have is about it's reliability with the stock pistons, because it still can't match the 5.0 with mild modifications without the compression. I just don't know what the compression is yet, or how reliable the engines are under that level of compression (I know it's high).

Thanks for the responses thus far, I've been running around moving stuff back out of a house I've been sitting for the past 3 1/2mo, and working my tail off at the office and I haven't really had a chance to check back in. I know the 5.0 back and forth, but when it comes to the 4.6L, my knowledge is a little lacking.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote