MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-03-2001, 11:21 PM   #1
98 BLK CONVT GT
Registered Member

Question Head Swap Help Again (46Stang)

When changing out 98 heads for 99 and up I would like to try it myself but I have limited mechanical knowledge, do the cams come with the heads and is there any other modifications that need to be made. I live in the Bay Area and no one will put the heads on for $800, do you know of shops in your area that can complete the job. Travel is not a problem. Since you work at a dealership any help or inside tips you may have would be terrific.

Thanks
Dave

------------------
98 Blk Conv GT
Bassani X-Pipe, 70mm T.B.
Cold Air Induc.
98 BLK CONVT GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 11:42 PM   #2
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Cool

No offense meant by this Blk 98 GT, but since you say you have only moderate mechanical experience, it would be best to leave it to someone who knows the mod motors a better. They can be finiky beasts to work on. Getting the timing on the cams correct is real crucial with the mod motors, and can be a BIG pain.

As for the cams coming with the heads, I'd put money on saying that they dont come with them. If you got some more money to toss around, opt for a set of Sean Hyland cams.

I'm not sure how much stock cams cost but I bet it aint pretty. Have you thought about junk yard scavenging in your area?

One other thing I'll throw in, I wouldnt deck the heads any. Over head cam engines dont like having heads shaved, especially V type ovehead cam engines.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. Period white wall tires. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car. Mods, Rust, rust, and more rust
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 12:21 AM   #3
46stang
Registered Member

the heads come complete! they have the cams, lifters, rockers,valves,etc, completely assembled! you'll need a 99+ intake as well, as the ports are shaped diff. on the heads. as for the cam timing it's pretty simple, there is two brass links on the chain, you put the engine on tdc #1, line up the brass links with the index on the cam and the crank sprokets, and bamb, it's done. if you get the 2001 heads you can use your valve covers as well! there is a few other small things but no big deal. if you go to www.corral.net and search there archives section on the head swap, you'll find a ton of info. a guy that goes by nosnows in the forums has a detailed parts list, he is the first to do the swap and is very knowledgable on the subject. i did the swap with all hand tools and a torque wrench. i did need a puller for the crankshaft pulley but thats it. do some more reseach on the swap and if you are serious about it, i'll do it for $750 labor with your help. we would need to do it at my house and it'll take 3 days to do, it's pretty labor intense.you can stay at my pad if you like. do some research and let me know
leon

------------------
96 stang,ported 99 heads, 99 intake, 99 cams,Steeda power pullies,Kirban adj.reg.,Pro-m 87,24#inj.,70mm t/b,BBK longtube headers,Bassani x-pipe w/cats, Dynomax ultraflow catback,iat mod, home depot ram air, k@n,373's,cobra brakes,fms spings, tri-ax shifter.
best et 13.80
best mph 103.3
bfg street tires,bakersfield, ca
46stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 12:25 AM   #4
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Good thing I didnt put money on it then!
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 01:39 AM   #5
98 BLK CONVT GT
Registered Member

Talking

Thanks for the tips 46stang, I will research the swap and get back to you this week. I just may take you up on the offer to do the install I am tired of being slow. 01 heads will fit and I don't have to swap valve covers that would be great. I will be in touch.

Thanks
Dave

------------------
98 Blk Conv GT
Bassani X-Pipe, 70mm T.B.
Cold Air Induc.
98 BLK CONVT GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 03:20 PM   #6
Try Me
Registered Member

Talking

46STANG - by how much did your times improve with the head swap?
Could you feel the difference?
Try Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 06:12 PM   #7
46stang
Registered Member

could i feel the difference? HELL YEA the best i ran preswap and preheaders was 14.75@95mph. and that was in october with cool air. I ran the 13.8&103mph a couple of weeks ago and it was real humid, so i'm betting i can get 104-105mph with good weather. all times on my same bfg street tires. traction is a big problem on my street tires at the track, i can get 2nd gear to get sideways pretty good with a hard shift!(before a 2nd gear chirp)i know i can get a 12.9x if i had good traction and weather. but i have to save up for slicks best mod so far to my car, by far!! take it easy
leon

------------------
96 stang,ported 99 heads, 99 intake, 99 cams,Steeda power pullies,Kirban adj.reg.,Pro-m 87,24#inj.,70mm t/b,BBK longtube headers,Bassani x-pipe w/cats, Dynomax ultraflow catback,iat mod, home depot ram air, k@n,373's,cobra brakes,fms spings, tri-ax shifter.
best et 13.80
best mph 103.3
Old 06-07-2001, 07:24 PM   #8
Phlea96gt
Registered Member

So how much can one to expect to pay for a complete headswap like the one mentioned in this thread....? Considering it on my 96 gt.

------------------
96, stock...for now
Phlea96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 09:11 AM   #9
46stang
Registered Member

typically the parts will run around $1200. the labor can vary so shop around. typicallly it's + or - $1000, most of the guys doing it are installing them, them selves. later
leon

------------------
best et 13.80
best mph 103.3