MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-30-2001, 04:30 PM   #1
waldoo28
Registered Member

Post Heads

What is the best way to improve the cylinder heads on a 96 GT? Does anyone know anyone in the Va. area that can install the new heads for cheaper than $900? I am tired of the newer cars pulling away from me after 2nd gear. Should I change the upper and lower intake to keep up with the newer cars or would the heads be enough. I have all the minor bolt ons that are currently available and I want some more speed.
waldoo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 05:46 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

You can port the original heads and gain around 20-25 hp, or get the FMS heads (alone, they will get you around 30 to 35 hp)

I took a look at your mods in user's rides.
For the money that you would spend, I would be looking for a safe shot of nitrous.
(or a supercharger if you've got the cash...)

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
"Hey, you weren't supposed to be that fast!"- Turbo Eclipse Driver
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 08:03 PM   #3
waldoo28
Registered Member

I have heard a lot of people say that the 99+ GT heads would benefit the previous 4.6L motors as well. Would they be worth the investment. As far as the NOS what do you consider a safe shot? What other mods would be recommended with a shot of NOS?

Thanx.
Old 01-30-2001, 09:13 PM   #4
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

The 99 heads would give you about the same performance increase as ported stock heads.
If you go the 99 head route, there will also be other small modifications that will need to be made to your engine to make them work properly (I do not know the specifics...)
To be honest, whether you purchase 99 heads or port your old ones, you're probably looking at comparable costs for comparable gains.

A dry 75-shot will be about as safe as you can get with forced induction. (There are always risks...)
There is an NOS kit with that set-up as well as a Zex kit. Both would do fine...
I'm pretty sure that both NOS kits would come with everything needed to use the kits...
(You might want to consider a blow off valve and a nitrous pressure guage)

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
Old 01-30-2001, 10:04 PM   #5
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

If you swap the heads, go w/ the 2001 heads because they are Romeo heads instead of Windsor heads and will bolt up easier. You will be able to keep you stock head covers among other things that would add up in cost if you go w/ 99 or 2000 heads.The head swap is becoming a regular thing for the Thunderbird guys and I can't believe that more 96-98 mustang guys haven't picked up on it. The new heads will outflow ported heads, but why not just port the new ones before putting them on. Another thing to think about would to just get a whole 99+ motor and swap that in. Many people have been finding these motors w/ 10,000 miles or less for less then $1500. Best deal I have heard so far was a 2000 w/ 4,000 miles for $950. Why not just throw in an almost new motor? The 99GT and up motor is the way I am planning to go in the future w/ my Tbird.
Some people say go w/ NOS, but wouldn't you rather have HP and Torque all the time? I would. There are a few article about swapping in the other heads on the net, I would just try to search for one. BTW, you can pick up the heads complete w/ cams and all that for around $360 each new!

------------------
1997 Thunderbird 4.6L: Black w/ grey leather Ram Air w/ K&N, FMS U/D pulleys, FMS 9mm wires, Dynomax exhaust. Soon: custom burned "Inject tech" chip, trans-go shift kit, 28,000GVW trans-cooler

No Longer own: 91 LX 5.0L 5 spd Red w/ black interior
2 chamber flowmasters, Bassani off-road X-pipe, MAC cold air induction, Kirban short throw, Heavy duty 3 core radiator, FMS 3:73's, Timing bump to 14 degrees, SRP billet racing pedals, Kenwood sound system
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 03:44 PM   #6
waldoo28
Registered Member

Where is the best place to look for a 99+ 4.6L motor? Besides the computer what else would I need to change on the car? About how much after labor and all would this cost? Would my currnet mods still be compatible with a newer engine? Thanx for all of your help I am new at this. My 96 GT is my first sports car and I am only 19. All advice is greatly appreciated. Thanx again.
Old 01-31-2001, 03:57 PM   #7
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Thanks for the other alternatives 91LX...
Good suggestions too..
(I didn't know the 2001 heads were different than the 99-2000 either)

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling waldoo isn't planning on having his ride down for the time it would take to accomplish an engine swap.

Also, I "think" he's looking at someone else doing the labor, which means just porting and\or swapping out heads gets to be expensive, much less the cost of swapping an engine...
(I've been known to be wrong before... )

I myself am not a pro yet, although the rebuild of my 83 has me learning quickly...

Anyway you want to go with this waldoo, I'm sure everyone in the forums will be happy to help you as much as they can...

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
Old 01-31-2001, 06:45 PM   #8
waldoo28
Registered Member

I called around and the local junkyard has a 99 4.6 for 1700 with 13000 mi. Would this be a good pick up or should I hold out for something better. Do I need to take the computer from that car as well or will my comp adjust to the new motor. Not making any decisions yet because I dont have the money to waste. I need to make a sound investment and this is the best place I have found for advice.
Old 01-31-2001, 11:20 PM   #9
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

I really couldn't tell you if its a good deal or not.... I also have no idea what would be involved in such an operation.

Few things you should consider before plunking your money down on a new engine:

1. Are you doing the swap yourself?
If you are, be sure you have the tools to complete it correctly. If you are paying someone else to do it, be sure you have the funds to cover the expense. (Which could get a bit high)

2. Are you prepared for any down time that the car will experience while its being worked on?

To be honest, an entire engine swap for 45 hp (215 to 260 stock) seems a bit much for me, but it is your vehicle....

Just keep in mind that there are cheaper, less intensive ways to get the outcome you may be looking for...
Old 02-01-2001, 12:56 AM   #10
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

$1700 for the whole motor? Good deal.

Go for it. Don't know about the NOS upgrade but in order to have your car breathe better you're going to need to buy the SVO/FRPP heads or the 99 PI heads and look into their intake.

If you choose to purchase heads. Save and go the extra mile and get them ported and polished.

Down time shouldn't be a major factor if some else is doing it for him.
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 03:11 PM   #11
S Howard
Registered Member

There is a great write up in the March 2001 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords regarding 96-98 4.6 bolt ons. Including the hassle of installing 99 heads.
S Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 03:17 PM   #12
S Howard
Registered Member

In reference to the engine swap, I put a '95 5.0 engine in a 97 3.8 Stang. Let me state from experience that when you add up all the BS items, it would cheaper to buy a base car with the correct motor in it. ie ignition module, fan module, overflow bottle, computer, wiring harness etc granted that both have the 4.6 I am unsure of the compatability. Any way to get a hold of the wiring diagrams? Perhaps you could ask your local Ford parts bud for a printed copy of the ignition system and go from there. Isn't there a Ford parts guy on this website?? Although putting the Stang together with my intent on quality was painstakingly rewarding. Wouldn't it be cheaper to spend $2k on a supercharger??

[This message has been edited by S Howard (edited 02-04-2001).]
S Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2001, 02:44 PM   #13
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

waldoo28- I think it all comes down to who is doing the install. If you are going to do the install, then install a set of 2001PI heads would be your best bang for the buck and would really set you up for future mods. I recogmended the engine swap in case your car was getting high in milage and it wouldn't be too much more money then the heads.

If you are going to have someone else do the work, it seems like a power adder such as NOS or a supercharger may be the best bet.

The other thing is you have to decide how much power you want your engine to produce in the future. If you know you want big HP numbers even w/ a SC, then it may be wise to swap the heads anyway because they are the bottle neck of out engines. Hopefully you will find something that will work for you.

Ohh yeah, over at www.tccoa.com they just posted a long article written by a few people who have done the head swap. It covers approximate costs, the actual install, and all parts needed. Go to the home page, and then scroll down and its halfway down the page under "News Bulletins"

[This message has been edited by 91LX2Bfast (edited 02-05-2001).]
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 01:27 AM   #14
46stang
Registered Member

i just installed the 99 heads on my 96 stang this last week end.. i can say that you get alot more than 45hp. the power band is awesome. on my 96 power really died at 5k rpm. it pulls hard to redline know! i did port them myself to save money and did all the labor. the hardest part of the whole job was the dipstick tube. bastard just didnt want to go back in. the good or bad thing depending on your point of view is the head swap raises comression to just over 10 to 1. the 99 motor is 9 to 1. 1st and 2nd gear smokes the tires now!!! the 2001 heads is the cheaper way. i bought my stuff last year. the svo stuff is good but to much, plus you dont get the better cams. good luck.

------------------
96 stang, 373's, 70mm t/b, gutted maf, bassani x-pipe w/cats, ultraflow catback, home depot ram air, k@n. 14.75 @ 95mph.

[This message has been edited by 46stang (edited 02-06-2001).]
46stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2001, 05:41 PM   #15
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Hey 46stang, you were running a 14.75 before your heads swap - what would you estimate now? Let us know when you get some track times.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Both are slow but easy on the eyes!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2001, 12:47 AM   #16
46stang
Registered Member

as soon as i get some extra time, im definately going to the track. several other guys i talked to on the net got mid 13's with nearly same mods as mine. im hoping for the same. a couple guys are knocking on the door to 12's. my car definately feels like 13's are possible. I'll post it as soon as i do

------------------
96 stang, 373's, 70mm t/b, gutted maf, bassani x-pipe w/cats, ultraflow catback, home depot ram air, k@n. ported 99 heads, 99 intake and cams.
Old 02-08-2001, 09:35 AM   #17
waldoo28
Registered Member

46stang. Where did you get the heads at? How much did they cost and what else did you need to change? My local dealer has the heads for 350 ea. w/o valves and 540 ea. w/ valves. How long was the down time on your car? I can afford to be down for about a week, but much longer would hurt. A recent mag I read said that the motorsport heads would give more power when ported but they cost a lot more. Can you get the LT1 or LS1 guys with your mods? Just curious, because my friend has a 95 TA. What do you think I would run with my current mods? Sorry so long just excited to have someone that might be able to answer me.

------------------
96 GT: MAC CAI, 87MM MAM, 70MM TB, MAC 2.5" h w/cats, American Thunder catback, 373, FMS pulleys, Ripper Shifter, PPIII, 160 thermostat.
Yet to put on: MAC control arms/lowering springs, Steeda timing adjuster.
Old 02-08-2001, 09:38 AM   #18
waldoo28
Registered Member

One more thing, would the 2001 heads net the same power gains as the 99PI heads?

Thanx ahead of time.

------------------
96 GT: MAC CAI, 87MM MAM, 70MM TB, MAC 2.5" h w/cats, American Thunder catback, 373, FMS pulleys, Ripper Shifter, PPIII, 160 thermostat.
Yet to put on: MAC control arms/lowering springs, Steeda timing adjuster.
Old 02-08-2001, 10:15 AM   #19
46stang
Registered Member

i work at a dealer so i got mine at work. it was a pain because ford kept sending the wrong heads.(make sure they have a PI on them)the heads only cost the dealer $320ea. last week.(fully asssembled). so you should be able to find them under $400ea. in 5.0 or mm@ff they advertise a dealer in there that sells them at a good price. also check out the corral.net, there is some guys over there that have also done this, they may know a place to buy. i believe the only diff. between 99-01 is 01 you can use your valve covers,99's you couldn't. i took a friday off work and finished sunday morning. i would suggest you either port them your self, or have them ported, it's alot of work, so you might as well get the most out of it. the svo stuff is better but the price was out of my range. the 99-01 heads also come with better cams,svo does not. lt1's shouldn't be a problem ls1's would be a good race. i'll know for sure when I get to the track

------------------
96 stang, 373's, 70mm t/b, gutted maf, bassani x-pipe w/cats, ultraflow catback, home depot ram air, k@n. ported 99 heads, 99 intake and cams.