MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-20-2001, 11:59 PM   #1
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Post help quick, 93 starter in 87GT problems

me and a friend put in a 92 5.0 starter in his 87GT today and couldnt find anyplace that carried the cable that goes from the solenoid to the starter so we looked at a 93 mustang and saw how the cable was ran, we basically just ran another wire from the solenoid to the small connection on the new 93 starter, it seemed to work fine, but something isnt right, it starts fine but the starter wont disengage from the flywheel nearly as soon as it should, it sounds like the key is being held in for a few seconds AFTER the car is already started, why is it doing this? is it the way we wired it and its sending too much juice for too long to the starter? anyone here put the new starter on their car? thanks for the help

------------------
88 Notch, 3.73's, Ported E7's, Explorer int. w/ ported lower, pulleys, 1.7RR's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframe connectors, 65mm TB, shift kit, March ram air ,MSD coil, U/L control arms, 155lph fuel pump, cheap 2800 stall, Crane Adj.FPR, best 1/4--> 13.77@101.35
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 01:49 AM   #2
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Why did you change the starter in the first place? It sounds like a bum solenoid. Put a volt meter on the end of your wire and turn the key to start. It should read 12V then as soon as you turn the key off, the voltage should instantly go to 0V. If it lags something is screwy with the solenoid. If it stops instantly, then you know it's the starter. Hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted!
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 06:22 AM   #3
Jeff Chambers

Classic 'run-on' from making the changeover. The large 0/1 AWG wire should be run from the HOT side of the selenoid (same side as the battery lead) to the large post on the starter. A smaller 16 AWG wire should be made up to run from the switched side of the selenoid (where the large starter wire used to be) to the small post of the starter. This smaller wire could alternately be run to the ignition post (small post) on the switched side of the selenoid. Just make sure that NOWHERE along the wiring do the two wires have a possibility of contacting each other, like at the starter posts, or you'll have continued run-on.

BTW: Switching from the pre-93 starters to the 93-up starter is a good idea. Its a higher torque starter and it weighs about 7 pounds less than the pre-93 monster that came on the 5.0's.

I've got this change in my Tech Tips section on my website.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.611 Seconds / 116.98 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote