MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-08-2004, 06:04 PM   #1
96gtMustang
Registered Member

Default Help!!! Which Intake Manifold is better?

I have the usual cracked intake manifold on my 4.6L 96 gt sohc, and want to know what to replace the stock one with. I have seen the composite intakes that are from the newer models, and the sellers say that they are an improved version less prone to cracking. I have also seen the composite with the metal crossover in the front, and know that is obviously less prone to crack, but I've heard they heat up so much more than the composite that it reduces horsepower. The question is, which is better?
96gtMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:21 PM   #2
bml
Registered Member

Default Re: Help!!! Which Intake Manifold is better?

I recently purchased a 97 vert. The first day I had it the intake cracked. I posted a question for this forum if anyone had this problem, Harold responded and said that it might be a free fix from ford. So I called my local ford dealership and they replaced it for free!! It is a recall from ford and there are other recalls on 96-98 ford mustang GT's. You can find the recalls on, recalls\TSB'S. I hope this has not found you to late. Good luck with it and you were right the new manifold does have metal runner inside the plasic, so no more blown manifolds. bml
bml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:59 PM   #3
surfbeast
Registered Member

Default Re: Help!!! Which Intake Manifold is better?

Do the PI intake swap. Any intake after 2000 model is good. They have the aluminum crossover and will add 15 to 20 HP. Do a search and find all the info. Do not go with the old style intake, you will be sorry for the loss of power. Even if it is covered under warrenty, why not spend < $200.00 for the extra HP!

Beast