MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-21-2004, 06:41 AM   #1
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Default Help with next mods

Well, the fall is essentially here and soon the car will be garaged for the winter. All my mods are listed below. They have all been done in the last 10 months or so.

Now it's time to start thinking about my winter projects for the car. Any ideas? Before you answer, here is what I do NOT want to do at this time: headers, lower car, blower.

Headers are a pain in the arse for the gains and my car is loud enough already. No, just not my taste and it was the one thing the wife asked me not to do. She has been great with everything else...so I will give her that much...for now. Blower? Too much $ to spend right now.

My goals for now is to get the car as close to 13 flat as possible on street tires. So any ideas on getting the car to hook up, look better, go faster are welcomed. Why 13's, I have a vert and am NOT interested in a roll gage, but I want to still race.

Cams are an obvious choice. I am estimating my rwhp right now at about 265, so a nice set of streetable cams could put me 280 or 290 which is easily in low 13 second territory on street tires. I think cams and a nice set of valve covers would be the ticket. However, I can't find anyone locally to install them. But, I have all winter to do them myself.

I am not a complete idiot, but I have never tried anything like this before. The thought of installing cams is pretty scary. But, I am sure if I worked 2-3 hours a week and posted lots of questions, by April, I would be done.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 03:55 PM   #2
smokinsteeda
Registered Member

cams are always a good choice but that leaves you with the question of raising your rev limiter, and i would definetly do headers with cams. something else 2 consider is an intake manifold or pulleys. You could even go as xtreme as an intake and heads with custom cams. i think comp cams has some mild 2 wild cams i read that the xtreme energy cams can produce up to 50 extra ponies and you dont need valve reliefs. what kind of time do you run now. my cousin has an 02 gt with no cats a chip 3.73's and a tri-ax. he runs 13.8's i think you would have to be in the 13.5's -Rob
Old 08-21-2004, 05:42 PM   #3
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Rob:

You said pullies. I do have UDPs already. Is this what you mean?

Thanks for the comments. Heads are definately a good idea, but may not be in the budget with the cams. I may have to settle just for cams.

I should be in the mid 13's, but I don't honestly know for sure. Last two trips to the track have been rained out. (crappy weather this summer).

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 08-22-2004, 05:49 AM   #4
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Looking at your sig... Rear Upper and Lower control arms would make a huge difference in the handling of your car, easy to install. Something Ford should have done from the factory.
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 01:43 PM   #5
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Hum. Any specific suggestions on which ones? Steeda? About how much are they and what would I expect to see?

My Stang:
Old 08-23-2004, 02:19 PM   #6
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

My Spec Stage 2 clutch and aluminum flywheel were probably one of my favorite mods. Believe it or not this gave me more SOTP gain than longtubes and h-pipe did. I can walk GTs that have similar mods since I added them.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 02:45 PM   #7
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Default Re: Help with next mods

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
Any ideas? Before you answer, here is what I do NOT want to do at this time: headers, lower car, blower.

Not much left after the suggestions ..... You've done just about everything else.

Weight reduction ....

But, yeah LCA and UCAs. MM fan myself, the STEEDA stuff isn't bad.

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:42 PM   #8
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

BlueooGT: Can you explain to me how the clutch helped?

Also, I am a suspension moron. Can someone explain how LCA's and UCA's work?

My Stang:
Old 08-27-2004, 01:56 PM   #9
explicitone
Registered Member

headers are not that bad(they are no more of a pain then cams)

remember when racing you are not at one rpm so peak means nothing its the power curve amd long tube headers will give you a good tq curve and as for the gains looks at my track post the only thing I changed was HEADERS AND MID PIPE

and as for cams I would do headers before cams cause most cams you are going to need headers anyway

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:46 PM   #10
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
BlueooGT: Can you explain to me how the clutch helped?

Also, I am a suspension moron. Can someone explain how LCA's and UCA's work?
Better quality LCA and UCA help put power to the ground.
I think the bushings tend to help as well, most 99+ Cobra guys say swapping out the lower and upper control arms really helps with the IRS wheel hop.

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:33 PM   #11
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I think it was mostly the flywheel that helped, actually. It's a lot less rotating mass directly on the crankshaft (reducing weight here is much more effective than reducing it after the tranny like with a driveshaft). I think the aluminum flywheel is like 11 or 13 lbs as compared to twenty-something for stock. The clutch just grabs like a mother and you can slip it and abuse it a lot more than the stock one without hurting it. I also got the lightened pressure plate option which further reduces weight.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:36 PM   #12
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blue00gt
I think it was mostly the flywheel that helped, actually. It's a lot less rotating mass directly on the crankshaft (reducing weight here is much more effective than reducing it after the tranny like with a driveshaft). I think the aluminum flywheel is like 11 or 13 lbs as compared to twenty-something for stock. The clutch just grabs like a mother and you can slip it and abuse it a lot more than the stock one without hurting it. I also got the lightened pressure plate option which further reduces weight.
the spec/fidanza flywheels are I think 11.8(12lbs) and the stock is like 30+

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: