MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-01-2005, 10:54 PM   #1
1bad02GT
Registered Member

Default Help Please!!!

Hey everybody. I just bought a 02 mustang gt 5spd about 3 weeks ago. The car has 26k on it and is really clean.Theres one problem though. I was about to pull it out of the garage today and at idle i can hear a very light pop or puff coming from the exaust. (but enought to know that it's not normal.) I did the old put a piece of card board against the exaust tips to see if it would suck it in and it did about every 3-4 seconds. Now with my expieriences thats always been an exaust valve sticking or a broken valve sping???????I highly doubt it's a vavle spring do to the fact that it runs really good. I was wondering if anybody out there has any ideas or has had this problem???????? If so please post back and let me know. I would really appricate ideas. Thanks mike
1bad02GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 08:39 AM   #2
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Default Re: Help Please!!!

Have no fear...you should be fine!

Does the car shake a bit too? Is the exhaust still stock, or of a high-flow design? Do you notice a miss-fire at lower rpms when a light-load?

Sounds to me like you have a bad plug, coil pack, or coil pack to plug connection. IMO, I would change the plugs. It is inexpensive and it will require you to pull the coil packs anyway and then reinstall them. Two of the plugs are a bitch to get at on the passenger side and if you are inexperienced with plug removal, be sure to have someone help you. It is possible to royally screw a motor by not installing plugs properly.

What you are seeing I think is a little bit of a miss-fire at idle. If you have a high low exhaust, it is more pronounced. If you let it go, it will eventually get worse and start to missfire while driving.

My car does this from time to time. I run copper plugs, so I go through them more often.

I could be wrong on this, but this is where I would start.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

I agree with Blake....

For some reason people are amazed at what just basic ignition system upkeep and checkups can resolve...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:24 AM   #4
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Cars today have much more reliable ignition systems, but they still are not w/o fault. Personally, I think it is unrealisttic to leave plugs in for 100k as the manufacturers recomend. Back in the old days, changing plugs, wires, and distributors was always the first place to start when a car ran rough. These days, we all seem to forget that.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 07-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #5
1bad02GT
Registered Member

Sound good guys. I think i'll try doing the plugs first and see if it makes a difference. I was going to do the plugs anyways @ 30k so hopefully this will help. BTW the car is totaly bone stock with the stock exaust ( at least for right now) Thanks for the advice........mike
1bad02GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 03:13 PM   #6
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Keep us posted Mike. Hopefully it is not a waste of time for you to change the plugs.

My Stang:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: