MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-03-2000, 08:15 AM   #1
T-Bone
Registered Member

Angry HELP! Something blew!

I finally got my car back on the road after being parked in the garage for a month with the exhaust off. Got the new Mac stuff put on Friday night and drove it a little Friday night and Saturday. Last night I took my kid out to play.
We went out to the highway, made a U-turn, and came to a complete stop. I put it in 1st and roasted em',speed shifted to 2nd at about 5500rpm, still accelerating. I think I went to 3rd, but I can't remember. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw what appeared to be smoke rolling from behind my car. I stopped to see what the problem was. I first looked at the back of the car and didn't see anything, then under and the whole underside of the car was soaked. Then I noticed it was coming from under the hood.
I popped the hood and there was coolant everywhere. Squeezed the radiator hose and there was no pressure. I could hear it blowing out of the engine somewhere when I squeezed the hose. I managed to drive it home three miles without the temp going above the high normal range.
When I got it home I poured water in the radiator to see if I could see where it was leaking from. It started pouring like a faucet out from behind the alternator. I looked closer and it seems to be coming from the front of the intake manifold. Is this a seal between the upper and lower manifold or something. I'm not too mechanical, but I get by. I'm actually an aircraft mechanic. A little different.
Follow this link to see exactly where it seems to be leaking from. I copied a page out of my Chilton's manual for this. http://minot.com/~topel/engine2.JPG

Please help!

oh yeah. It's still under a 3 month warranty until next Thursday. What should I do?
When I was driving it home, I had the heat on all the way to keep the temp down, but it was blowing COLD air.

Thanks

------------------
96' GT
5-speed,K&N air filter,removed air silencer,80mm MAF,Mac Cat-Back,Mac Pro Chamber H-Pipe

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select654.htm
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2000, 08:43 AM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Red face

Hmmm, I can't help you with the leak, but if you still have any kind of warranty, use it!
If any part replacement is involved, at least you won't have to pay for it... ;-)

Hope it get fixed soon...

------------------
98 GT
Dyno-Max cat-back exhaust, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, Ford Motorsport Underdrive pullies, 87mm MAF and Roush cold air kit...

Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2000, 08:49 AM   #3
T-Bone
Registered Member

Question

Hammer, how do you like the Roush cold air kit? I have one coming in the mail I got used for $75.

------------------
96' GT
5-speed,K&N air filter,removed air silencer,80mm MAF,Mac Cat-Back,Mac Pro Chamber H-Pipe

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select654.htm
Old 04-03-2000, 09:12 AM   #4
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Wink

That's a great deal for 75 dollars!
You don't want to know what I paid for mine..

It takes about 10 minutes to install, helped a bit in my battle with the Texas heat, and looks really cool to those who don't know what it is... ;-)

Which reminds me... It's about time to re-oil my K&N!

Did you get the leak fixed?

------------------
98 GT
Dyno-Max cat-back exhaust, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, Ford Motorsport Underdrive pullies, 87mm MAF and Roush cold air kit...

Old 04-03-2000, 09:23 AM   #5
crumbie

Don't worry about getting that fixed. About three months ago I was about a 1/2 mile from my house when I noticed my temp. gage rising. When I pulled in the driveway, coolant was pouring out of my car. My dad and I checked all the hoses, and found the leak to be in the front of the intake exactly where yours was. I DID NOT have a warranty on my car, but was advised by the used car dealer I bought my car from to take it to Ford. The Ford place said that they would fix it for FREE. I've heard somewhere that there was a glitch in the manifold and Ford will fix the problem without a charge. The only thing that bothers me is that they put the same type of manifold back on?
Old 04-03-2000, 09:35 AM   #6
95GTS
Git jiggy

You just blew your intake. Don't worry though. It's typical of the 96-97 4.6. Ford has a recall on all the 4.6 96-97 intakes. Take the car to Ford and they should replace it for free. The bad thing about the recall is that they won't enforce it untill after the intake splits or goes bad. I'm just waiting for mine to go. How many miles are on your car? Mine has about 37,000 on it. The intakes USUALLY blow at between 30,000-45,000 miles. Just depends. The problem was that the intakes were torqued down too much and after awhile, especially when you're playing around with the car like you were, they blow according to Ford. I've got a print out of the recall myself that I got from my Ford Dealer. You should be able to get one yourself, too. Get it fixed!

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS
K&N, removed air silencer, 3.55s, turndowns after H-pipe (no mufflers)
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2000, 10:12 AM   #7
T-Bone
Registered Member

Well, I just spoke to the Ford dealership on the phone and sure enough. There is a recall on the intake manifold. They don't have a tow service, so I have to get it towed in. I hope they pay for the towing expense.
96GTS, thats funny about the milage because my car has 46K on it. Pretty accurate estimate.
Whew, what a relief. I was scared I'd be paying out my a$$ for this. It looks like things might be alright.
Hammer, I'm excited to get my Roush cold air kit in and glad it will look cool too. But what about performance? Was there any difference that you noticed?
Old 04-03-2000, 10:14 AM   #8
T-Bone
Registered Member

BTW, do you think that Ford will say anything about my Off-Road H-Pipe? there are no emmisions inspections here.
Old 04-03-2000, 10:15 AM   #9
crumbie

The Ford dealership paid for my towing charge. Also, mine blew at 48,000 miles.
Old 04-03-2000, 10:22 AM   #10
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Wink

I've seen a small improvement, especially noticable on hot days. Before the kit, there was a BIG decrease of performance on hot days. There is still a decrease in performance when the hot Texas heat turns on, but the snorkel to the fenderwell has made the effect much less dramatic.
All in all, a nice little mod for 2 to 3 horses.... especially for 75 dollars

------------------
98 GT

Old 04-03-2000, 11:21 AM   #11
King Snake
Registered Member

Red face

The reason your heater was blowing cold air is because all of your water poured out, and if there is no water there is nothing to remove the heat from you engine. You may have though it didn't run hot, but it probably did.
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2000, 12:21 PM   #12
Stefan
Registered Member

Question

Sorry to hear about the leak T-Bone. Atleast Ford is covering the repair. My 96 now has 56,000 miles on it and I have had no problem yet ( knock on wood). I am sure it is only a matter of time. Does anyone know if there are any limitations on the recall timewise or anything? I just know my luck and I know I'll get screwed somehow when it needs to be fixed. 96GTS... did you have to do any sweet talking to get the recall printout? I'd sure like to have one for safety's sake.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers(not installed yet), Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
K&N (more to come)
Where'd my money go?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2000, 07:26 PM   #13
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Nope, didn't have to any sweet talking. I just asked for it and they printed it out for me. They should be able to print it out for you. If they don't they are just being punks about it. Hey T-bone, did they pay for your tow to the dealership?

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS
K&N, removed air silencer, 3.55s, turndowns after H-pipe (no mufflers)
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2000, 08:12 AM   #14
T-Bone
Registered Member

Well, they said "everything" was covered, so it better be cause I ain't payin' for it.
Old 04-06-2000, 03:34 PM   #15
T-Bone
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I got er' back this afternoon and all seems to be good. And without a dime to pay. Thanks for all the help and info throughout my crisis.