MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Default Help w/American Thunder 40 Series Exhaust

OK, Im finally about to do it. Buying my 2001 GT in September put me in three months of debt, but now I can finally afford my flowmaster exhaust. I'm getting (obviously) the American Thunder 40 Series Flowmaster kit, cat-back which includes everything from the converter back the the clamps and mufflers. What is a reasonable price to buy new for this kit, and if anyone thats had Meineke put one of these on feel free to give me an estimate..(Since I've never put one of these on before, I'd rather not do it myself and wind up sawing off something that wasn't supposed to be removed). And if theres someone who needs my stock exhaust feel free to make an offer..my car has 86,000 miles on it, its' never been in an accident that damaged any part of the exhaust or engine block. Thanks to those that can help. Greg
Old 01-09-2005, 07:27 PM   #2
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Default Re: Help w/American Thunder 40 Series Exhaust

Jegs has American Thunder w/Stainless tips for 349., Summit should be about the same. I had my catback installed at a local muffler shop for $75. I could have done it, I have a friend with a lift, but for $75 I decided not to fool with it.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Who the hell keeps moving my goddam threads?
Old 01-30-2005, 02:05 AM   #4
MR_PINK
Registered Member

i just had 2 chamber flows put on my 04 for 200 out the door, and that is just for the muffs installed no tails
MR_PINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

That is the way to go. The only reason I went with a catback is my muffler shop guy said he couldn't fit 50 series Flows under my car with the tailpipes. I ordered the catback with tailpipes because it was made for the car and he was able to fit the 50 series on my car that way. I tried 40 series, but with the automatic it roared inside the car, so I had that changed to Borlas, they still were pretty loud inside, but sounded stock outside. The 50 series are almost quiet as stock inside but sound powerful outside which is what I wanted. Now I am wondering if I can add a catted H or X pipe without making it too loud inside. Never satisfied.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Old 02-06-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
IBleedBlue
Registered Member

Orange97GTVert, let me know how that sounds after you get an X-pipe. I have an 03 Mach1, catted X-pipe, 40 series flows welded into stock cat backs. I want to decrease the interior noise without performance loss. I think I'm going to try the 50 series flows instead.
Do you think it will make a difference with interior noise with this set up?
2003 Mach 1
Ford Racing 4:10
BBK X-pipe
K & N
Flowmaster 50 Series
Pro 5.0 Shifter
Tokico Struts and Shocks
IBleedBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 03:17 PM   #7
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

That interior resonance is too loud to you?..After three days I could'nt even tell the difference (except how mine accelerated at 2300rpms and up). Mine is a manual tranny though..
Old 02-06-2005, 03:44 PM   #8
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

The manual tranny cars are quieter inside. My son's 98 has an off road H with 40 series Flows through stock tailpipes with 18" long 3" tips. It is barely louder than mine. Just the 40 series Flows has this awful drone in an automatic car, the rpm's are more steady. In a 5 speed, about the time the automatic car gets really loud is when you push in the clutch. Add to that my car is a convertible, so it doesnt have the package tray, so there is little insulation to quite it down.

The Force II Catback has 50 series Flowmasters with heat shields welded on, so the resonance is almost stock sounding inside, but much better outside than stock. It may be a while before I get the catted X (or H) but I plan to, they are just a little pricey, and I have other things going on right now.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:30 PM   #9
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedBlue
Orange97GTVert, let me know how that sounds after you get an X-pipe. I have an 03 Mach1, catted X-pipe, 40 series flows welded into stock cat backs. I want to decrease the interior noise without performance loss. I think I'm going to try the 50 series flows instead.
Do you think it will make a difference with interior noise with this set up?
Mufflers won't affect your power. Especially Flows. The only one's I've credibly seen improvement with are Magnaflows. It's because they are straight through, not chambered.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 09:44 AM   #10
James Lyons
Registered Member

I am new to this site, but I have a few questions.
I have a 2001 Cobra convt, does anyone know if the numbers of 320 hp/317 lbs that ford publishes is correct for this vehicle?? I alos just had Bullet Exhaust installed on it, and it is really loud in side the car and even louder outside, I have not been able to find any info on this exhaust system. I had it installed by a muffler shop, who stated that it sounded way better than flowmaster or borla, I need any info on this if anyone has any to vide thanks, James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1fafp46v01f246941.jpg (86.8 KB, 10 views)
James Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 10:27 PM   #11
IBleedBlue
Registered Member

I went ahead and put the 50 series delta flows on my Mach and replaced the 40 series. Very satisfied. Cut down greatly on the interior resonance. Didn't feel much difference in performance except that I might have lost a little torque feel. Which is kind of interesting as you would think I would actually gain a little torque. Flowmaster web site bascially says not much difference in flow between the two but lot less noise.
2003 Mach 1
BBK X-pipe
K & N
Flowmaster 50 Series
Pro 5.0 Shifter
Tokico Struts and Shocks
Old 02-11-2005, 11:25 PM   #12
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedBlue
I went ahead and put the 50 series delta flows on my Mach and replaced the 40 series. Very satisfied. Cut down greatly on the interior resonance. Didn't feel much difference in performance except that I might have lost a little torque feel. Which is kind of interesting as you would think I would actually gain a little torque. Flowmaster web site bascially says not much difference in flow between the two but lot less noise.
IBleedBlue, is your Mach a 5 speed or AOD? I really want a catted X, I think I can handle it with the 50 series I have now, but I have had this inside roar problem on mine (and on my Silverado, you should have heard it when I first put Flows on it) and I am on my 3rd set of Mufflers, I like it but I want a little bit more sound without getting the interior roar back.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:28 PM   #13
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

James Lyons - Awesome Mustang. Check out www.yellowmustangregistry.com for pages and pages of cool yellow Mustangs!

Old 02-21-2005, 09:24 PM   #14
IBleedBlue
Registered Member

Orange97GTVert, I have a 5 speed. Have a catted X-pipe up front. Probably would go with a catted H-pipe instead to get a lower sound. But overall mine sounds pretty good.
2003 Mach 1
BBK X-pipe
K & N
Flowmaster 50 Series
Pro 5.0 Shifter
Tokico Struts and Shocks
Old 02-21-2005, 09:42 PM   #15
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

IBleedBlue, thanks for the input! I have changed so many times I want to check it all out first, cause I have wasted so much money. My son is worse, I think he has had about 7 combinations on his 98 GT, but he keeps wanting louder!