MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-03-2002, 03:17 AM   #1
Rally
Registered Member

Unhappy coolant q's? Am I a complete idiot?

ok. I think I'm an idiot, and this post may just comfirm it.

I have a 97 GT 5sp. Recently, I have had the stock intake crack on me. Ford fixed it for free. So far nothing unusual. It has been a week and a half since it has been repaired, and I have been smelling antifreeze burning with every drive. It is not as strong as it was immediately after it was fixed, but it still lingers. I know that some of this is residual from when the intake went, spraying antifreeze everywhere in the engine, but this seemed to be going on for too long (about 180 miles or so)

I suspected that Ford may have botched something in the repair, and that maybe there is a small leak in the manifold that may still be burning off the antifreeze on the hot engine. After a 50 minute highway drive today, and an hour rest in a parking lot, I checked the coolant level in the resevoir. It was about 3/4" BELOW the fill line. Thinking that was evidence to support my claim, I noted this level. Later that day, after a few errands, I parked my stang, and let it sit for about 4 hours. After this time to cool, I checked the level again, and it was about an inch lower yet! Convinced that I had a leak, I took the 50 minute highway trip home. Upon arriving, I let the engine run and looked under the car for a telltail "drip, drip" or the sound of drips sizzling on a hot exhaust. To my amazement, nothing! Even more puzzling was when I shut off the car and looked under the hood...the antifreeze level was right at the fill line, 1.5" HIGHER than the level it was at earlier in the day when the engine was cooler.

Correct me since my suppositions must be wrong, but I believed the level would be LOWER when the engine is hot, since the coolant would be around the engine, keeping it cool, and then be back in the resevoir when the engine is cool, since it is not all needed. My observations seem to be totally counter-intuitive though! What is the truth? Or should I just name my car "Christine"?

K&N...Tri-ax...Steeda pullies...
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 07:17 AM   #2
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Hot = expansion
Cold = constriction
When the dealer filled the cooling system, I doubt if they "cycled" the system. Now that the car is in your hands now, fill the system with a 50/50 mix each time the car cools...do this about three times (meaning fill to line or top of reservoir). This removes air pockets within the system which makes your motor run a little hotter. When you park the car to cool, try to park it with the front end on an upward incline (let run for a minute or two), this forces any air pockets to travel to the reservoir.

In reference to the smell, probably the cap releasing antifreeze because of the pressure (doing what it's supposed to do) because of the added heat...

Hope this makes a little sense.

Cliff
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 03:58 PM   #3
Rally
Registered Member

Thanks Cliff, I'll manually cycle the system as you have described. I'm a bit ashamed that my basic physics didn't serve me very well in this situation! It is great to hear something so simple is the truth, as it so often is.

K&N...Tri-ax...Steeda pullies...
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 07:07 AM   #4
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Not your fault, the system is different than your old standard two core radiator and cap.

Just make sure you also "massage" (don't laugh) radiator hoses when its cooling down, this also helps force air pockets to the reservoir

Good Luck
COMP CAMS
FRPP
MSD
Bassani
Magnaflow
MAC
Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote