MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-28-2001, 01:30 PM   #1
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Red face Engine hikups under minor acceleration.

Sometimes when i am coming off the line easy(at a light or stop sign) the engine sputters real bad for a second or two. And when i am cruising on the highway or accellerating a little (1/4 throttle or less) the engine has hikups every couple of seconds. I was thinking vacume lines since a couple of mine have cracked and had fallen off. I also thought maby my O2 sensors were going south. Any ideas ? Thanks Light Em Up!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 02:53 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Throttle Position Sensor.

That would be my best guess. if seems to always happen at certain throttle setting, and that is TPS area.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 03:20 PM   #3
LincoConti87
Registered Member

Idunno but I'd say first to reconnect vacuum lines just because they are off. try cleaning out egr stuff maybe?

------------------
Rob meister
89 Mercedes 190E 2.6
87 Lincoln Continental
Ex 86 Mercury Cougar
LincoConti87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 01:05 PM   #4
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Check coil wire, if it;s a "suppression"8.8 wire, they are crap, mine turned into ash, but didnt appear bad.

Change fuel filter, and really you need a code scanner.
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 03:40 PM   #5
sedanman
Registered Member

what mods do you have?

------------------
1991 Lx sedan 5.0, 5spd, GT-40 Heads, Cobra intake, 73MM mass air, 65mm TB, FPR, 24lb injectors, E303, Headers,off road H-pipe, Flows, K&n , hurst, 3:55's, pullies, etc...
Best ET 13.5 (2.15 60ft)
Best MPH 103.9
On semi-bald street tires
New mods! electric fan, nitto drag radials, mac upper and lower control arms, HD trac-loc, lakewood 50/50's on back, shift light, centerforce dual friction, and rebuilt heavy duty T5

sedanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 04:26 PM   #6
NoSlow5.0

Exclamation

I have a code scanner. I just don't feel like taking the CPU out right now, it is nasty here. It is not a big deal, just a little annoying. I'll scan it later this week if the weather clears. Just wondering off the top of my head if any of you have had this prob too. Thanks Light Em Up!!!
Old 01-29-2001, 04:39 PM   #7
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Take the cpu out??? what do you mean? well anyway hope you fix it.
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 04:49 PM   #8
gt93mustang
Registered Member

Don't you check your codes from the engine compartment? The little plug on the backside of the strut tower on the drivers side... Oh, and it has been unusually nasty down here this winter.

------------------
MAC equal length headers, MAC Off-Road H-Pipe, Flowmaster mufflers, 373's, March ram-air kit, underdrive pulleys, 73mm MAF, 75mm TB, Saleen Intake (ported), Edelbrock 6037 heads (ported, polished, 3 angle valve-job 255CFM @.500), 1.6 FMS RR's, Wolverine 1087 Cam, 24lb injectors, MSD 6AL, Subframe connectors, Griggs Adustable Lower Control Arms, Lakewood 50/50 shocks, SSM Upper Control Arms... and probably some more in there I forgot
gt93mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 01:09 AM   #9
vkaro45
Registered Member

Hey NoSlow, I'm having the same problem myself with my Lincoln T/C. Here's what I've done so far but still haven't fixed it: ran a can of dry gas, and a can of injector cleaner, changed fuel filter, changed o-rings on injectors (some were leaking), changed TPS.

Darn thing is still acting up. The only other thing I can think of is one of the caps was cracked on one injector. Just cracked, not broken off. I've also replaced some bad vacuum lines but can't find any more leaks.

Good luck with the car. If you find the problem keep us posted.

------------------
'89 GT work in progress
'66 289 coupe even more work
vkaro45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 03:11 PM   #10
NoSlow5.0

You know; that's a good question. UI just got the scanner for a gift, never used it before. I always assumed that you disconnect the harness from the computer and plug the scanner into the computer from the pas side kick panel. I'va always figured out what my probs were before with uot using a scanner, so i have'nt even taken it out of the box yet. vkaro45, i'll let you know if i find something.

Ok, now that i feel real stupid, does someone want to tell me where i pull codes from. Thanks (i'm such a dumba$$) Light Em Up!!!
Old 01-30-2001, 04:38 PM   #11
withamc
Registered Member

There's one large connector and a smaller one just hanging out of the harness near the driver's side firewall. Your code scanner instructions will tell you how to hook them up and pull the codes.
I'm interested in what you find as well. Mine just started doing something similar, but it seems to do it for the first 5 minutes or so, I give it a few good full throttle blasts and it goes away.

[This message has been edited by withamc (edited 01-30-2001).]
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 06:22 PM   #12
Stampede
Registered Member

Is there moisture in the air.
I have an 85 ranger that did that when there was moisture in the air from rain or snow. I also had a hard time trying to start it , but after changing the spark plug wires, it has not done it.
Stampede.
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 10:44 AM   #13
NoSlow5.0

Well, thanks to the great advice of you huys i scanned my 5.0(correctally) and came up with a code 34. EGR valve position sensor or pressure feedback sensor indicates signal voltage out of self-test limits or, signal voltage above closed limit during normal engine run opperation, or, signal indicates insufficient EGR flow. I will clean ouit my t-body and EGR today and let you all know how that works. I also connected some vaccum hoses to where i thought they were supposed to go and that made my car undrivable. It would barely even idle. So if any one has some vaccum line diagrams they could post or send me , i would be very appreciative. BTW: it does it no matter what the weather is like, it will do it in any condition.. Light Em Up!!

[This message has been edited by NoSlow5.0 (edited 01-31-2001).]
Old 02-03-2001, 07:44 PM   #14
NoSlow5.0

OK! Here it is Saturday night. Last night i started on my little project. I was going to pull off and clean the EGR and T-body, and replace the gaskets. I pulled those of and discovered that the previous owners idea of a performance mod, being, to disconnect the EGR coolent lines had made a big mess. The upper intake was almost clogged with the black sludge from 13 years of no EGR cooling. So I decided to take off the intake and clean it. 3 cans of engine degreaser later i was done. The intake was clean but i decided, while it's off i'll play with it. I sanded it down and applied 4 coats of ford blue engine block paint, and 6 coats os polyacrylic gloss to it. It looks dam good i might add. So i put it back on and dicided to put on the BBK 65 mm body and EGR i had sitting around. I hooked it all up and checked the voltage at .9. I started the car up and it shot straight to REDLINE and there it stayed. I was freeking out! Then i realized that being the dumba$$ i am i forgot to reconnect the lines under the intake. I took them off to paint it and never put them back on. I'll fix this tomorrow b/c i'm tired and it is getting cold outside. I'll tell you all if this helps or not later. BTW: the EGR valve was NASTY! So i'm hoping this is what the problem was. Sorry so long. Just thought i'd share a story with you all.

PS. Can someone remind me what to set the TPS at. I've forgot. Is it at 1 or around .98?

Light Em Up!!!
Old 02-04-2001, 11:39 AM   #15
NoSlow5.0

Cool

The verdict is in. The car runs better than ever. The throttle response is instantanious. And the car no longer bucks when i let my foot off of the gas, or shutters/hickups while driving or accelerating. I am still pulling the 34 code, probably b/c the little vac line the the EGR valve is still off. But the problems are gone. I think that my engine was just choked and gasping for air. And cleaning out the EGR helped a little. A new TPS sensor also went on with the new parts. So that may have played o role in it too. Light Em Up!!!