View Single Post
Old 05-03-2002, 11:14 PM   #18
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

I'm not into F1... and don't know a darn thing about it.

As far as high-reving motors go... my dad and uncle used to race a '57 Chevy with a small block 332 that would bury the cable drive tach (we're talkin late '60's early '70's), which read 10,000 rpms. He said it wouldn't idle under 4000-4500 rpms, and was shifting somewhere around 11,000-12,000 rpms. They ran an "ultra rev kit" which was another set of springs between the head and lifter bore. I can't remember who he said ground the cam, but they had to give it back to the guy that ground it when they called it quits. They set some national records with it, obviously the records have been beat since then (duh)... Jim Naramore sponsored them (East Peoria), that's who hooked me up with the McLeod stuff (list over 2g's, paid 1540). He knows Red Roberts (owner of McLeod) very well, small world...

He also has another story he tells about Bruce Crower building a small block chevy, putting it on an engine dyno, cranking it up to 16,000rpms and letting it run all night to come into work the next morning to find it still running... I always laugh at that one! Anyone else heard that one? (probably not)

It's not F1, but it's high rev stuff...

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph