MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-02-1999, 06:33 PM   #1
Danbo
Registered Member

Question Hot& Cold..AKA: Plugs,Wires and Radiators

I'd like to replace my plugs and wires this winter(along with my radiator).. Any suggestions on what to use ?
I'am the road racing type(Not Autocross).
Thanks,
dan

------------------
'96 Cobra, Steeda G-Trac
Stage III Suspension, K&N
Filter,77mmPro-M,FMS Ceramic
Coated Headers,Bassini-X Pipe,
FMS Al D/S, FMS 3.73's, Cobra R's ,
Firestone SZ-50 275-40x17's,
Powerslot Rotors, Preformance Friction Z rated pads,
(Track PF90 Compound pads),Steeda Tri-Ax,
Schroth Restraints,Kuhmo Victoracers(for the track)
Steeda Functional Wing.
1:32min @ Summit Point

Danbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-1999, 10:56 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Well, the current "kings" of resistance per foot ratings are the Accel and MSD super-conductor wires at 300 to 50 ohms per foot respectively.

Hope this helps...

------------------
98 GT
Dyno-Max cat-back exhaust, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, Ford Motorsport Underdrive pullies, 87mm MAF and Roush cold air kit...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-1999, 11:42 AM   #3
Danbo
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Hammer,
Congratulations on your new job!
Thanks for the info. I know its'a stupid question but are resistance wires Radio friendly? If not what type are ?
Dan
Old 12-03-1999, 01:48 PM   #4
Red96GT
Registered Member

Radiator = Griffin Aluminum 3 core. Shave some weight off the nose and better cooling at the same time.

------------------
96 GT: KB subs, March pulleys, Bassani X pipe, 3.73's, alum. drive shaft, 70mm TB, K&N, KB Carbon Kevlar BP, Steeda Tri-ax shifter, Flowmasters, MSD wires

H&R springs, Tokico Illuminas,MM C/C plate & GW RLCA sitting in the garage waiting for a free weekend...

Red96GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-1999, 01:52 PM   #5
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Thanks a lot Danbo!

Well, both the Accel and MSD web sites state that these wires are "radio friendly", but I have heard grumblings from others that it may not be the case in some instances.
Both sets are spiral core wires that have the conductor wrapped around a fiberglass core, which has a "supposedly" natural canceling effect on RFI.

Unfortunately, I'm running FMS 9mm blue wire, so I can't speak from experience.

From my avionics experience, any conductive medium that transports electro-magnetic energy will have SOME amount of RFI discharge. Just how much is determined by the medium itself, temperature, the amount of power being used through the medium, and the type of insulation being used. There's actually a formula for this, but don't expect me to remember it..;-)

If I had to guess, I would think you would be OK in the RFI aspect on a stock ignition system. I wouldn't think you would get much of a problem until you started getting into after-market ignition upgrades (increasing the power flow through the medium)...

Actually, the best bet would be to find someone who has them and see what they think...

Anyone out there using the Accel or MSD super conductors? What's the verdict?

------------------
98 GT
Dyno-Max cat-back exhaust, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, Ford Motorsport Underdrive pullies, 87mm MAF and Roush cold air kit...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-1999, 04:59 PM   #6
Danbo
Registered Member

Thumbs up

RED96GT,
Have you had any problems with your MSD wires. Do they interfere with your radio?
Which Griffin radiator did you get.Is it a direct fit. Does it really save weight ?
Thanks,
Dan

------------------
'96 Cobra, Steeda G-Trac
Stage III Suspension, K&N
Filter,77mmPro-M,FMS Ceramic
Coated Headers,Bassini-X Pipe,
FMS Al D/S, FMS 3.73's, Cobra R's ,
Firestone SZ-50 275-40x17's,
Powerslot Rotors, Preformance Friction Z rated pads,
(Track PF90 Compound pads),Steeda Tri-Ax,
Schroth Restraints,Kuhmo Victoracers(for the track)
Steeda Functional Wing.
1:32min @ Summit Point

Old 12-03-1999, 09:38 PM   #7
4cammer
Registered Member

Danbo, as soon as Uncle Sam sends me my friendly REBATE around Feb., I'm putting in a Fluidyne in my Cobra, as it never received Ford's cooling system upgrade. Yes, it's almost $500, but it's ALL aluminum - no epoxy cores, etc. It is a direct fit unit. I'm going to pony up the $$ and be done with it. BTW, I too, am a corner carver - your car sounds NICE! How do you like your Bassani X-pipe? What mufflers are you running and do they sound good? Good God, is that enough questions?! Sorry.

------------------
'96 Cobra - K&N, Pro-M 77, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3:73s, Cobra "R"s, Steeda control arms, pulleys, springs and caster/camber plates.
4cammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-1999, 11:45 AM   #8
Red96GT
Registered Member

Damn, look at all the racers! Cool!

Only "problem" with the MSD wires was unable to get torque readings when I got the car dynoed. Radio is fine.

Didn't mean to mislead you, I do not currently have a Griffin installed. Check'em out at http://griffinrad.com The Griffin is in the $300 ballpark.

4cammer, that fluidyne sounds sweet! How do you tell if you've had the cooling upgrade? I've been wondering that about mine. It's got some Ford sticker on the plastic part atop the rad, but I cannot make out any of the writing (bought it used)

------------------
96 GT: KB subs, March pulleys, Bassani X pipe, 3.73's, alum. drive shaft, 70mm TB, K&N, KB Carbon Kevlar BP, Steeda Tri-ax shifter, Flowmasters, MSD wires

H&R springs, Tokico Illuminas,MM C/C plate & GW RLCA sitting in the garage waiting for a free weekend...

Red96GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-1999, 07:20 PM   #9
Danbo
Registered Member

Thanks for the info.
It's great to see Stangs that both Go and Stop. I'll look into the Radiator. I don't have the Ford cooling upgrade on my car,so i can't tell you what it looks like.
dan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: