MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-15-2000, 09:30 PM   #1
Black99GT
Registered Member

Question To Cat or Not to Cat??

In an effort to make the steed have a deeper growl and more power in the hoofs, Hi-Flo cats or off road H pipe or X-pipe? What do you guys have? Which is better for power? Will it throw off the Computer if there are no cats reporting to it? Any input is greatly needed. Thanks in advance.

------------------
Black 99 GT Bone stock
14.53 @ 104 (using a G-tech pro)
Black99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2000, 11:23 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Talking

From what I've read, the 99-00 GTs have a much less restrictive system than the earlier generation 4.6s, (I have yet to confirm this though) so it may not be quite as much a concern as to someone running a 96-98 mod motor.

I have also read about decent hp gains on near stock setups with an x/h pipe and a good catback system. (Running around an extra 5-10 horses)

If the "sound" is your priority, a good cat-back system with after market mufflers will fit the bill just fine, but if horses are your main priority, I would start with an x/h pipe first and work my way back with cat-backs at a later date.

Cat-backs in themselves won't give you much of a performance boost, if any at all...

Hope this helps...

------------------
98 GT
Dyno-Max cat-back exhaust, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, Ford Motorsport Underdrive pullies, 87mm MAF and Roush cold air kit...

Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2000, 01:31 AM   #3
RedGTvert
Registered Member

Both the no cats and high flow cats will add some HP to your 99. With cats figure 7-10 hp gain. Without cats figure 12-15 hp gain. Don't know where you live, so if emission testing is being done it will be a problem if you go with offroads. The ones with cats will pass the sniffer test.

If you go without the cats, you will get a MIL. You'll need to get what are called MIL eliminators. Fakes the computer into thing you have cats. You can get them from Dallas Mustang or TRZ for something like $60.

Hope this helps a little.
RedGTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2000, 10:46 AM   #4
Black99GT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help. About two weeks ago I had two chamber flowmasters installed. They dropped the note a few octaves and it is noticably louder. Love them. No HP boost felt when I drive it. I live in Texas and in the county I reside they currently don't have emission tests. But if I was to get a direct bolt on off road pipe, I could easily swap in a few hours to legally pass. If they ever do start testing. What exactly is a MIP?
I haven't really seen any off-road pipes listed for the 99, is there any? Thanks again.

------------------
Black 99 GT Bone stock
Old 02-19-2000, 12:22 AM   #5
BLK99GT
Registered Member

I've seen some off road pipes for the 99GT's from Mac, Bassani ,Flowtech ,BBK and i think Dr.Gas
BLK99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2000, 09:19 AM   #6
Black99GT
Registered Member

Thanks Blk99GT.
I think that I am going to go with the Mac.
Now,if Mac would just hurry up and come out with cold air induction for a 99.

------------------
Black 99 GT Bone stock
Old 02-21-2000, 12:16 AM   #7
BLK99GT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I think they already have a cold air set-up fot the '99-'00
check www.macprod.com
BLK99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2000, 01:46 PM   #8
96cobra89Lx306

I have tried no cats on my Cobra and felt a loss of low end power. The Bassani X with cats gave me power everywhere. I hear catbacks don't do a whole lot though on the modular cars. I also like the quiet stealth approach too.

------------------
(96Cobra/softtop-3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes+shifter,eibachspgs,pulleys,Bassani X pipe,C&L 80mm
Cobra DYNO 301rwhp horsepower
93 Ford Probe Gt(slower but turns)

Old 02-23-2000, 08:08 AM   #9
Black99GT
Registered Member

96 Cobra, did you have an off road pipe or just run open header? Anyone else loose bottom end power with an off road pipe? Although more money for hi-flo cat pipe I'll do it if an of-road is only going to slow me down. Thanks for your help.

------------------
Black 99 GT Bone stock
Old 02-23-2000, 09:09 AM   #10
96cobra89Lx306

I ran the BBK off-road H pipe and loved the sound but lost bottom end power and didn't really feel like it gave me anything in power actually. The Bassani X worked really well for my car but since the 99 GT's are pretty stoudt in the bottom end already you may get away with an off-road X pipe. To be safe though, you can't go wrong with the cats. Lance

------------------
(96Cobra/softtop-3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes+shifter,eibachspgs,pulleys,Bassani X pipe,C&L 80mm
Cobra DYNO 301rwhp horsepower
93 Ford Probe Gt(slower but turns)

Old 02-28-2000, 07:28 PM   #11
93CobraR
Registered Member

If you don't have to worry about the emissions test I would say get an off road H-X pipe, you might loose a little low end torque like 5 ft. lbs. but the sound is way worth it!!! Anyway the off road pipes make there power at the top end and isn't that where that 4.6's make theres also?? Ah we have a nothe variable here!! Go with the off-road!

------------------
87 Gt with 4 inch cowl hood, dark charcole grey, long tube headers,off road h-pipe, 2 chamber flows,BBK cold air intake, Mass air coversion(ported stock MAF), 1 intake spacer, Hypertech superchip, MAC underdrive pulleys,Pro 5.0 shifter, and a King Cobra clutch,Crane adjustable fuel press. regulator, Mac Strut and Tower Brace. Powertrax locker, 4.10's (new for this season)
Best time 14.91
Best MPH 103

Visit my site at:
http://www.geocities.com/cobrar93_20...l?947947194470
93CobraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2000, 11:22 AM   #12
Red96GT
Registered Member

Black99GT,

It's MIL and it stands for Malfunction Indicator Lamp (i.e. check engine light)

------------------
96 GT: KB subs, March pulleys, Bassani X pipe, 3.73's, alum. drive shaft, 70mm TB, K&N, KB Carbon Kevlar BP, Steeda Tri-ax shifter, Flowmasters, MSD wires, H&R springs, Tokico Illuminas,MM C/C plates, King Cobra Clutch, rebuilt T-45

GW RLCA sitting in the garage waiting for a free weekend...

Red96GT's home page
Red96GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2000, 04:00 PM   #13
89LXCarb
Registered Member

I'd go with an offroad pipe since sometimes the cats can get plugged up over time. And they sound so much better.
89LXCarb is offline   Reply With Quote