View Single Post
Old 11-23-2003, 12:36 AM   #8
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

The Deuce and GodStang both make some very good points! But I would also add that the proof is in the pudding or at least in the actual performance of the car. Who really gives a crap about HP...as there are soo many factors that affect a Dyno. Remember, numbers never lie, but liars use numbers.

I know all of us get sucked into this HP thing. Hell, Ford has gotten into trouble over the 5.0 about lying about the HP of the vehicle in the past. The only thing that really concerns me is, does the car go faster? If you are going to add a bolt-on, ask yourself if it makes sense? If it is worth it, then do it.

Personally, I would not dump another $200 into a car for just 2 HP (if that is a real number), but I would add $200 to decrease my 1/4 mile by 0.3 seconds or my 0-60 by 0.2 seconds. To me, this is real measured data.

The problem that most of us face is that we can't afford to do a Dyno everytime we turn around and we have to rely on others even if it is a company trying to sell something.

Oh, one more note, I am always suspicious of Dyno data on a car when trying to measure the impact of an air related bolt-on device. Think about it, a larger TB brings more air into a car. As long as the fuel system can compensate, bingo more power! But, on a Dyno, the car is not moving. So, therefore, the air is not passing over the vehicle. As a result, the air must be sucked into the engine instead of being pushed and there will be less air turn-over under the hood. As a result, I would suspect that the air temp would also be higher during a Dyno than in real world driving which would also impact the performance of the engine.

I believe that Dynos are extremely useful for tuning an engine...making timing adjustments on very high-output vehicles especially when experimenting with race-fuels and compression. A Dyno is the only way to setup a car like this. Measuring the impact of a larger TB, forget about it.

Oh, by the way, if you want to have some fun, drop $100 on an acelerometer and see how your car is truly performing. You can test it and test it as much as you like before and after the TB addition. If you don't see a change, then send it back.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote