MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-20-2003, 06:42 PM   #1
FritzDaKat
Registered Member

Default Question on Hazard / Turn signal flasher (Be prepaired to chuckle @ me)

PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM IF YOU DONT FEEL LIKE READING ALL THIS, It drags on a bit, but I figured someone might get a good laugh out of the story

Ok, so for about the past 3 months, Ive had NO taillights, no rear signals, no running lights, nada, zip (Just backup lights). Soooo, I began digging around.

Checked sockets, continuity (well, under 200 Ohms at least) across terminals with everything off. Figured I fudged some wiring badly and began tracing up ("Luckily" I have a little quarter panel damage which justifies removing the inner wall paneling) Cut the line just behind the drivers seat, checked for continuity from that point and all was well.

Made up some new 4 letter words as I continued towards the dash, still nothing. But at this point I realise the turn signal flasher relay is not where chiltons had said it was, so I begin contorting myself in ways that would make a master of Yoga green with envy so as to try and see what was up behind that darn dashboard (6'5", upsidedown, under a dash. If my leg got a cramp then, I would have kicked my rear window out.)

I came to the realization that it was time to pull the dashboard so I could find the trouble ( Hazard and headlight switches working properly according to Ohm's and diagram at least) then realised the console / armrest / climate controll panel / radio needed to come out.
One plus to this is that my ashtray lid is now in its proper place

So I somehow manage to pry the dashboard off, then happily began slitting the wiring harness open subconciously viewing my mad slashing as some form of vengance, even thou I'll only have to tape it all up again when Im done it still felt good at the time, tracing along the green and orange line, disconnecting every terminal in my way. No luck, the Fluke still beeps at me defiantly...

As I find the point where green/orange meets green/white a bit of harness further down the line shifts, revealing to me the Unicorn that was my turn signal flasher, perched dead center of the dash, just below the middle air vents (?!?!?!?!?)

I sit there for a moment, perched on the chiltons manual which sat where the armrest used to be, crowded in by paneling and switches and sticky, tarry, well shredded wire harness wrapping, having disconected every connector you could think of relating to the rear lights. yet still I was showing a short from the main connector which hooked to the rearward portion of the harness.

So, all this being done, and no solution found, I pull the hazard and turn flasher relays.. The Fluke is silent. The Hazzard flasher shows 50 ohms and the turn flasher shows 4, and yes, I know its probably the first thing I should have checked, but for the life of me, in 16 years of driving older cars I have yet to have had a flasher go out on me, so I really dont know if seeing the 50 and 4 ohm's there on the flasher's is a good thing and its time to have my friend drag me to Murray's auto parts, OR if Im SOL and just need to haul my car to a big open field for some target practice ?!?

Anyone happen to know if the flasher relay's are normaly opened or normaly closed?
FritzDaKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 01:16 PM   #2
PKRWUD

Default Re: Question on Hazard / Turn signal flasher (Be prepaired to chuckle @ me)

Quote:
Originally posted by FritzDaKat
Anyone happen to know if the flasher relay's are normaly opened or normaly closed?
Open.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 04:16 PM   #3
FritzDaKat
Registered Member

tyvm
FritzDaKat is offline   Reply With Quote