MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-17-2002, 03:39 PM   #1
Yuppie98a
Registered Member

Question Chip or No Chip?

I am getting conflicting stories so I need everyone's input please. I have a 95 GT which of course has the EEC-IV. People keep telling me that chips don't respond well well to the EEC-IV. Please give me your opinions. Is it worth the expense? Is there a noticable difference? I have longtube header, no cats, and a 2 1/2 inch catback system. CAI, MSD-6AL ignition box, MSD coil, 9mm Ford Racing wires, and 3.55 gear. Will a chip be benefitial to me?
Yuppie98a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 03:56 PM   #2
89 ATI
Registered Member

No, I don't think a chip will gain you anything.

"Our lady of blessed acceleration don't fail me now" Elwood Blues
89 ATI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 04:14 PM   #3
Sonics2042
Registered Member

Until you get some serious mods (heads, new fuel system, and/or supercharger), I say don't worry about it.

Thanks,
DoranW
[MAC Cold Air Intake]-[BBK Equal Shorties]
[3.55 Gears]-[Cobra Intake Manifold (Upper and Lower]
[E-303 Cam]-[Granetelli Mass Air Flow Sensor]
[Front and rear sway bars]-[New black carpet and seats.]
[Adjustable Fuel Regulator]-[T5 Conversion w/ K. Cobra Clutch/Hurst STS]
[Cobra Throttle Body]-[130A Alt. Conversion]

Thinking about:
Aftermarket Heads!
Vortech A-Trim
Sonics2042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 04:15 PM   #4
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Will a chip give you gobs of power? No it won't. It will give you some. I did notice a difference with mine, although compared to just running with advanced timing, i would have to say the difference may not be something you can feel.

The big difference with a chip in the EEC-IV computers is that (atleast with mine) it makes the car run better. My car hunts a little some times with out the chip. With the chip it runs good.

The guys in the Fox bodied stangs forget how screwy our 94-95 computers are some times .

I would get a custom chip and a dyno tune, but you are at the same point I'm at, and I don't think for the amount of modifications we've got it is really worth it, yet .

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 04:20 PM   #5
mysweetlx
Registered Member

I would save that $$$ until you need one later down the line....it won't give you any noticeable gains at this time. Yuppie, I'm not quite sure why your car would "hunt" with those minor mods....did you adjust the timing at all before the chip?
Old 04-17-2002, 04:54 PM   #6
Piston
Registered Member

Hey Yuppie,

I was in the same boat as you your mods are almost identical to what I had when I got the chip. I definately noticed a difference in my car. I got a hypertech (off the shelf) this helped only through 3rd and 4th gear. In fact I got my first 4th gear chirp out of it. Now here is the catch. If you plan on throwing heads, cam and whole bunch of more crap on the car like I did don't waste the time on the chip unless you think it will be a while before you do all that and want a bit more extra now. Like I said the main difference I noticed was the car started to pull a lot better in 3rd and 4th then it ever did. Since I upgraded heads and all I decided to upgrade the computer and I got a PMS by Anderson. This thing is a chip plus more. Once it's thrown on the dyno with that you can change anything about your car and that's what I'm using now. No more hypertech chip.

So the moral of the story is... If you are done with mods go ahead and buy the chip. If you are planning a whole lot more then wait on the chip to get a custom one or a better computer such as a PMS or speedbrain (don't know if those are good). Or if you are super rich and don't care about how much money you spend buy the chip in the mean time and sell it to a friend later. That's what I ended up doing, not that I'm rich I just didn't have any good advice.
Stock Bottom End 302. With TFS stage II ported and milled heads. Anderson B2 cam with 1.6RR. Hooker Full Tube Headers flowing into offroad H-Pipe out Hooker mufflers. Ported Edelbrock Preformer Upper/Lower.
Lots of other Goodies...
Just bought a nice forged 331 stroker kit for a new block that should be ready to take 650hp of abuse.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 09:13 PM   #7
moc
Registered Member

Cool it's not magic

you would waste your money at this point. Like what every one
else is saying ,If you got the money to spend ! spend it on what could be a harder mod to ( install yourself) but will make you happier in the end
05/04/09
(Hangar Queen)
SMOKEM UP
moc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 12:45 AM   #8
RdRunnr
Registered Member

I would get a PIH harness and ditch that computer in favor of an A9L. The 94-95 computers are no good.

1990 Mustang GT
10.46 @130.97

ClickClickracing Forums
RdRunnr is offline   Reply With Quote