MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-30-2002, 07:10 AM   #1
Bret Ledford
Registered Member

Default Hypertech Power Module. Any Good?

Has anyone used the Hypertech Power Module and is it worth $220? Hypertech wants $360 but Autozone has them for $220. I have searched for tech articles and tests but have found nothing on "Plug in's". If these aren't worth the money what mod would make a real "seat of the pants" difference for around $250? I have a Mac X-Pipe, Flowmasters, and a K&N Filter, other than that it is stock. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:36 AM   #2
whiterod
Registered Member

bret i have one for my car and when it was completely stock it seems that it made it more responsive, but that was before i knew how to do things like advance ignition timing and so on. So if you don't want to ever lift the hood of your car then i say they make a small difference but if you want to get your hands a little dirty then you can easily out do the chip. I believe a MM&FF article did a dyno test on the hypertech powermodule and it gave them an increase of about 5.5 hp & 6 ft-lbs of torque. I still have my powermodule i will sell for $50 or so, if you still want it. It is for a 91 aod, i took it out several years ago.
GT-40X(58cc)heads, cobra upper&lower, FMS 65mm TB, 75mm Bullet, 24# injectors, 190 lph fuel pump, moroso cold air intake, BBK 1 5/8 equal length headers, flowmaster cat back, 1.7 cobra rockers, crane 2031, T5Z gear box, centerforce dual friction, mcleod bullet proof bellhousing, 3.55 gears, hurst billet shifter with over 193,000 miles. thanks to all who contributed
whiterod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 10:24 AM   #3
Bret Ledford
Registered Member

Default Thanks Whiterod

I appriciate the post. These "electronic" cars are new for me. My other ride is a fully restored '64 Galaxie, 352 4V 4 speed car with 3.25 traction lock and I know what to do to that one to make it "Run". I don't mind at all opening the hood to work on the Mustang, just want my dollar to buy power and not "hype". Thanks for the offer to sell your Module but for 5 HP and 6 P/FT of torque, its not worth plugging in. Again, thanks for the info.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:26 PM   #4
1995MGTS
Registered Member

I had a generic Hypertech chip a long time ago and to be honest, it was a huge waste of money. Now that was 5 years ago and maybe they have gotten better through the years but I would say don't waste your money.

A friend of mine had a custom tuned chip in his almost stock 95GT and it just ran circles around mine. He bought the car used and didn't know what kind of chip it was. So I went out and got gears, pullies, o/r h-pipe, cat-back, and the generic Hypertech. His pullies, tb, stock 3.08 gears, and custom chip car pulled harder through all the gears and was just plain faster. That chip maximzed his air-fuel ratios for max performance, did away with the tip-in timing retard, turned his fan on earlier, and did away with the 2 second delay when going to wot (at least this is what I assume it did since it was a custom design and that's normally what they do).

Again, maybe the Hypertechs do that now but I don't know. If it's still the same old program, I would say save your money and spend it on something worthwhile. Just my two cents
2003 Redfire Cobra #5978 of 8394
-Pro-5.0
-DC cai
-Steeda x-pipe w/cats
-Steeda cat-back
-Lightning pulley w/Afterburner
441rwhp/434rwtq SAE
1995MGTS is offline   Reply With Quote