MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-05-2004, 06:42 PM   #1
chrismustang
Registered Member

Default Hypertech Programmer

if i got that what are the average hp increases? is it worth it?
chrismustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:09 PM   #2
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

That depends. With any "mail order" tune with a near stock car, you will gain about 7 - 15 rwhp. However, there are other benefits which include:

1 - If you change your gears, you can calibrate your speedo
2 - If you have an auto, you can change shift points and firmness
3 - Mods like plenums and TB can make car idle rough....programmer typically fix this issue.
4 - Some programmers (not sure about tthe hypertech) can read codes and clear them.

So, if you add all these things up, it is most likely worth it....at least it is to many of us.

If you plan of modding your car more, go with a unit that can take a custom tune which can grow as your car changes. Look into SCT. That is what I use and recomend. Visit their website and/or go to www.modulardepot.com. There is a ton of info and users there. Get the SCT programmer and not the chip if you do.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:02 PM   #3
urstangsmoke
Addict

i just visited both hypertech and modular depot sites (sct programmer) and have a few questions myself ... would having modified intake and exhaust aplications have adverse effects on my engine when using either one of these tuners? having the engine run too rich or too lean can be harmful. i dont have gears (yet) or different sized tires (yet). what i do have is the c&l intake plenum, 75 mm bbk throttle body, steeda underdrive pulleys (which aren't on yet) and a pair of welded 2 chamber flowmasters. i emailed the site about this issue and i didn't get a response yet. any info or suggestions would be helpful. thanks
Old 06-06-2004, 05:20 PM   #4
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

With those mods, the program should not change. When you add gears, it will though. And, adding the pullies will not require a different tune. With the SCT, if you know you are going to add gears in the future, you may want to order the programmer with a tune for those gears. You are allowed TWO custom tunes from SCT on the programmer. Changing it later, I think is $75. That way, you can just download the different program when you add gears.

Your current mods may cause your car to run a tad lean, but nothing to worry about.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote