MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-22-2002, 11:01 PM   #1
Bad_intentions
Registered Member

Default I am getting upset here....(long and involved)

Hey there guys,
I wanted to know what your opion on a safe driving, responisble, and street smart, 16 year old that learned to drive since 13 and has been driving on and off on getting a GT (would you get your son one?). So any way, I learned to drive on my cousins Taurus SHO, (220 hp), its quick.
So my parents orignally wanted to give me my dads 1990 Lexus (very nice, FR 250 hp), but the maintenance and insurance was too much. So then they decided to spend 12 grand on a car. I want a mustang gt, post 99. I have found them, for that, and my parents will insure me to drive my moms van and put the stang under my mom's name.
The most mods i plan on are, wheels/tires, baer upgrade, tokico/ebiach, and new exhaust.
But they still need convincing, so if you could help me out with stuff to tell my parents I would really appriaciate it! (safety, realabiltiy, and what not) ( I love you guys )
Thanks.

If the road to hell is paved with good intentions, then is the road to heaven paved with bad ones?
Bad_intentions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 11:09 PM   #2
96SNAKE
Registered Member

Yikes! Good luck man! My dad went with me to look at a Mustang when I was 16 and laughed at me when I said I wanted it. Needless to say, I went home in a CRX SI. Not bad but it was probably the best car for me at that age. I think if I had a Mustang at 16 I wouldn't be here now to discuss it. You could be more controlled than I was and if that's true, you could tell them about the traction control, anti-lock brakes and dual airbags. Tell them you don't care about how fast it is but that you just love the looks. Tell them you will make a deal that if you get a speeding ticket in the first 6 mos of owning it they can park it for a full month.

These suck but I'm trying for ya..

(96Cobra/softtop- Black&Tan, 3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes,r-LCA's&shifter,eibachspgs,KYB's,FR-upper arms,Y2K Cobra R's,pulleys,Bassani X pipe(cats gutted),C&L 80mm,Stage 2 Clutch, polished intake and cam covers etc.. last dyno w/cats on-287rwhp.

93 Ford Probe Gt 4.39 stock gears and K&N (slower but turns)

2001 Green Ninja ZX6R
96SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 08:46 AM   #3
SLOW 97
Registered Member

I'm 16 (Soon to be 17) and it took me awhile to convince my parents to let me buy my GT but after kissing their @$$ for a few months they let me buy it last summer. They said as long as I can make the payments I can have it. My insurance is actually not that bad either ($150 a month). As long as you say you are the primary driver on of you parents cars and not the 'Stang you insurance won't be so bad. It's good to see a fellow teenager that isn't into rice burners still exists.
Ripped off a BLISTERING 15.37@90MPH
With a 2.21 60ft
Just Installed- K&N Air Filter
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
-Flowmaster A/T or Magnapack Cat-Back
SLOW 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 08:58 AM   #4
95mustanggt
Registered Member

telling them you like the looks is OK, but then they might put you in a V6. Tell them you love the V8 growl. I don't think I could ever drive a 4 banger for long before I missed the V8 rumble.

What can you say. Well mustangs are very comfortable (atleast my 95 GT is), I was in an accident where a lady ran a red light and my car held up very well. In fact it impressed me how well built it was.

If they are worried about you racing, just say atleast you'd be so busy racing you wouldn't be into drugs j/k

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 12:34 PM   #5
surfbeast
Registered Member

You won't want to tell your parents this story!!

My friend had a 16 yr old son, straight A's, never in trouble, level headed, no drugs, church,football, etc... My friend said he deserved a GT or Z28. I said let him earn it in a slower car ( V6 ) at least 1 year! He didn't listen. I was at his son funeral six days after he got the car. He ran into a oak tree doing 80+, his friends were mangled and were hospitalized for months.

This is what your parents are thinking of. They know alot of spoiled rich kids with a level head get behind the wheel with friends and kill themselves

Think about where they are coming from!!
Old 04-23-2002, 01:11 PM   #6
Bad_intentions
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by surfbeast
You won't want to tell your parents this story!!

My friend had a 16 yr old son, straight A's, never in trouble, level headed, no drugs, church,football, etc... My friend said he deserved a GT or Z28. I said let him earn it in a slower car ( V6 ) at least 1 year! He didn't listen. I was at his son funeral six days after he got the car. He ran into a oak tree doing 80+, his friends were mangled and were hospitalized for months.

This is what your parents are thinking of. They know alot of spoiled rich kids with a level head get behind the wheel with friends and kill themselves

Think about where they are coming from!!
We have talked about that, I told them that if you drive a quick car, you don't have to prove anything. Unlike ricers. But yea, we decided that if I even get one ticket, (even parking) I can't drive for a month. So there is no way in hell I am gonna speed.

If the road to hell is paved with good intentions, then is the road to heaven paved with bad ones?
Old 04-23-2002, 01:53 PM   #7
jb31
Registered Member

Yea, you wont speed. Who are you trying to fool. I understand you saying that to your parents but I think most of the guys here know better. I bought my 96 GT 5sp (first sports car) a year ago when I was 19. I have yet to get a speeding ticket but it is not like I don't deserve one. I don't care how responsible you think you are once you get a tast of what a car like a GT can do you can't help but get more. And contary to what most people say the 96-98's may not be wild but they are any thing but slow. You are going to hate me for this but if I was your parents I would at least wate untill you were a senior in high school before I would even think of letting my son (or daughter) get his hands on that much power.
jb31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 02:08 PM   #8
Rally
Registered Member

This is a tough topic because I can see it both ways, but you know the old saying:

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely".

This is certainly true in a car with the power of the Mustang. Eventually, you'll just have to put your foot in it...

However, I don't think it's so much the speeding and racing that is the problem necessarily (although they are major contributors). It's that the V8 has lots of power that can get you into trouble on ice, snow, wet roads or in avoidance situations with other vehicles. The inexperience of a 16 year old driver and the power of a V8 just aren't a good combination. The rearend can break away just too easily... then you're in a world of trouble.

I know that Bad_intentions has said he has been driving since 13, but I'm talking about REAL driving experience. The kind you get with years of driving on freeways, at night, day, on all road conditions, alone and with friends, etc. Getting a shot behind the wheel every once in a while coming home from dinner with mom and dad doesn't count.

Sorry, I feel for you Bad, but it's true. Take the V6, make some mods, and trade it in 2 or 3 years for a GT when you go to college, or leave home. That's a far better deal than most of us have probably had at your age (Slow97 notwithstanding ).

K&N...Tri-ax...Steeda pullies...
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 03:39 PM   #9
Bad_intentions
Registered Member

I see your points guys....

Old 04-23-2002, 04:24 PM   #10
wally6761
Registered Member

Do yourself a big favor and get truck or sedan. sports cars are not for teenagers learning to drive. you can go plenty fast (and you will) in those vehicles. there's a lot of problems you'll run into learning to drive (even though you have been) you can't even imagine.
wally6761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 05:15 PM   #11
GaryDawg
Registered Member

Compromise and get a V6... and you'll live longer.
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 05:33 PM   #12
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Exclamation THE word on this subject

Bad_Intentions : Tell your parents my story.

When I was a senior in high school, I wanted a mustang bad. I wanted a GT, but they said no, for the same reasons as your parents have given. They got their way, and helped me pick up a 95 V6 stang. I was grateful, and I loved that car. However, literally 2 days after I got it, the auto tranny completly broke. $2200. The car had 28000miles on it!!! Next, the brakes went, warping the rotors and causing a terrible squeak that ended up costing $500. At the same time, I was pouring money into it (flowmasters, intake, chip, pulleys, etc) and the car would still lose to stock integras. Eventually, I convinced them to let me have the title and try to sell it. So, in late 2000 I sold it for $300 less than I paid for it (new tranny, brakes, power mods) and picked up a used 97 GT. A month after I got that one, the intake blew up. I traded it in on the spot for a brand new GT. Haven't had any non-warranty problems with this one, and I absolutely LOVE it. Also, I got one ticket in the V6 stang (66mph in a 35) and havent' gotten any speeding tickets since! Moral of the story, just go with a new car from the start. It'll save you a lot of hassle, time, money, and disappointment in the future. Even the new v6's have 193hp, and are no slouches. IMO, get something new, you get protected warranty, happiness, and peace of mind, and all you sacrifice is a little more money at the start. Let us know how it turns out.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 06:07 PM   #13
Bad_intentions
Registered Member

Default Re: THE word on this subject

Quote:
Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
Bad_Intentions : Tell your parents my story.

When I was a senior in high school, I wanted a mustang bad. I wanted a GT, but they said no, for the same reasons as your parents have given. They got their way, and helped me pick up a 95 V6 stang. I was grateful, and I loved that car. However, literally 2 days after I got it, the auto tranny completly broke. $2200. The car had 28000miles on it!!! Next, the brakes went, warping the rotors and causing a terrible squeak that ended up costing $500. At the same time, I was pouring money into it (flowmasters, intake, chip, pulleys, etc) and the car would still lose to stock integras. Eventually, I convinced them to let me have the title and try to sell it. So, in late 2000 I sold it for $300 less than I paid for it (new tranny, brakes, power mods) and picked up a used 97 GT. A month after I got that one, the intake blew up. I traded it in on the spot for a brand new GT. Haven't had any non-warranty problems with this one, and I absolutely LOVE it. Also, I got one ticket in the V6 stang (66mph in a 35) and havent' gotten any speeding tickets since! Moral of the story, just go with a new car from the start. It'll save you a lot of hassle, time, money, and disappointment in the future. Even the new v6's have 193hp, and are no slouches. IMO, get something new, you get protected warranty, happiness, and peace of mind, and all you sacrifice is a little more money at the start. Let us know how it turns out.

I love you.

Old 04-23-2002, 09:27 PM   #14
96GTPRT
Registered Member

Great effort man! You'll get the car eventually. I got my 96 GT when i turned 16 (my mom already had it since it was new and it only had 10,000 miles and a K&N filter and removed silencer.) The main thing is dont blow it for yourself by goofing off. People in fast cars dont have to drive fast, everyone already knows not to mess with you. I didnt have any tickets or accidents till last week when some lady nailed her brakes and i rearended her. Luckliy, I had taken my moms van (which i was the "primary driver" for insurance purposes) because I thought it was gonna rain and I didnt feel like moving all the other cars in order to get my out of the garage. I thank god for that, and that im safe. All I have to do is pay the deductable for the insurance. Anyway, you just have to decipline yourself and not goof off. I admit, I live in a stuck up area and kids at my school have sweet cars. But the abuse them and will end up with no car or in a casket. I hate to see kids blow it for themselves. Good luck!
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 10:05 PM   #15
Bad_intentions
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 96GTPRT
People in fast cars dont have to drive fast, everyone already knows not to mess with you.
Thats what I want to tell my parents, but I fear that it will give mixed opions: 1) He has intentions to race eventually, 2) But he doesn't need to drive fast.

Old 04-23-2002, 11:49 PM   #16
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

hey Bad_Intentions you're from the bay, right? If you want to see some badass stangs this Friday, let me know, cause there's a show at Howie's in Pleasant Hill. I'll give you directions.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 05:48 AM   #17
surfbeast
Registered Member

One last word of advise!

If you go to your parents and say, " I've decided to listen to you and get a nice V6 stang, (maybe new if you already have 12K). Let them know you have alot of help here on the forum and that you want to EARN their trust and PROVE that you can handle the responsibility. Your parents will be sooooo impressed that you are acting like an adult in stead of whinning like a little punk, ( But Mommy I really want the fast one! ) They will probably get you a nice new V6 that you can Mod, learn alot etc.. Prove your self to your parents and to YOURSELF! Then trade the six banger for a V8 in a year or so. Also, there will always be some rich kid/adult that has a badder ride than you, so don't let the peer preasure get to you. That is the true measure of being an ADULT.

Good luck and go get your dream!!
Old 04-24-2002, 10:03 AM   #18
COBRAon18s

Im 19 years old, i started out with an 89 ford probe when i turned 16. Since then, ive saved my money and recently got a 99 cobra. I understand that you say you wont speed because of tickets, but when a z28 pulls up next to you, and revs his engine, you wont be able to resist. I dont know about your state, but in mine, drag racing is 6 points and a heavy fine. I dont think that getting a clunker will solve your problem because i started out with a clunker and learned to drive better, then got a mustang. Dont tell your parents this but just last month a camaro pulls up next to me, there is no way i was gonna back out of the race. little did i know, there was a cop right behind us, waited for the race to end then pulled us over. Luckily for me, i guess the cop hated camaros and loved mustangs cause he went for the camaro and let me go. I understand you say you wont speed but you will. Having said that, there is not one day that i regret buying this mustang and all i have to say is that you only live once. Do what you have to do to convice them, get a mustang, and use it to its full potential. YOU WILL GET PULLED OVER, save some money on the side, thats life, live with it. Belive me, you wont regret getting a mustang. by the way, try getting a drop top, i know its pushing it but just try.
COBRAon18s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 11:37 AM   #19
spyrojoe
Registered Member

I'm 19 and drive an '02 GT. When I was 16 I wanted a GT bad. but mom's will be mom's and she put a stop to that. My first vehicle was a '94 Ranger, a purple one at that! It sucked bad at first, but I really started to have fun with it. I eventually got my GT (my first was a '94 GT), but that purple people eater, as it was affectionatley named, was a great first car and it taught me to make the most of what I have. You might not be like I was, but just in case, I'm gonna tell you not to let a car determine weather your happy or not. I love my '02, but it's not a priority, and if I were still driving my Ranger, I'd be just as happy. It would just take me a few more minutes to get to work!
spyrojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 03:46 PM   #20
wade73
Registered Member

if you do get a mustang, regardless if its a 6 or 8, be sure to do one of the following:

go to driving school. learn from professionals. i am not talking about your gym teacher in a 4 door lumina. i am talking bob bondurant or someone of that caliber.

or if that is not an option, find yourself a nice big flat gravel parking lot, or wet concrete parking lot late at night. learn the physics of the car: how to make it push, how to make the rear slide around, how to correct fishtailing, how to steer out of a slide...it will be invaluable in the real world, no matter what kind of car you are driving...

when i was 16, my parents got me a '87 iroc-z (305, 5 spd), they wouldnt go for a mustang gt...go figure it out, i cant....anyway, one sunday afternoon, i took it a local baseball park with a gravel parking lot where i proceeded to practice tall slides, drifts, etc. not 10 minutes later, the inevitable happened a cop came up, lights on and all, and asked me "what in the HELL are you doing son?" my reply was that i teaching myself how to drive. the look on his face was priceless...after an uncomfortable amount of silence, all he said was "carry on"

LEARN TO DRIVE BEFORE YOU GET BEHIND THE WHEEL. KNOW YOU LIMITS. EXERCISE SELF CONTROL AND SOME MATURITY BEFORE YOU HAUL BUTTOCKS DOWN SOME ROAD. no car is a toy, especially a rear wheel drive with gobs of horsepower.

"Get in, sit down, shut up and HANG ON"
wade73 is offline   Reply With Quote