MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 12:12 AM   #1
esandes
Registered Member

Default I can't believe some people

These stupid fools who ask if a power adder will void their warranty. duh. Of course it will.

98 GT w/ lots of bolt-ons
Old 12-23-2002, 03:33 AM   #2
VicRattlehead
Registered Member

yes and no, if you have a power adder and your power windows dont work, the warrenty will still cover that part, but yea what your saying is true, a PA will void most and all engine/drivetran parts of the warrenty.

Powered by a 2000 "PI" 4.6L
go fast goodies: Fordchip.com reflashed EEC and chip, Modified 4R70W Trans, MarkVIII/Mustang Torque Converter, March pullies, 9mm FRPP wires, -2 Degree colder 12C plugs, 90mm MAF and Compucar Nitrous 125hp jets.
My Website My E-Mail
Member of these car clubs: MidwestFords, Chicagoland Thunderbirds, TCCoA, VTCI.

9/11
United We Stand
Let's Roll!!!
Old 12-23-2002, 02:01 PM   #3
stangt00
Registered Member

I blew my engine about 6 months ago, and ford replaced it under warranty I had power adders on it too, Chip, Cold air, Trottle body. Funny thing is, the reason it blew, I had the rev limiter taken off when I go the chip burned. Doing about 90, miss-shifted from 4th back to 3rd instead of 5th. BANG! Killed 2 cylinders. $10,000 worth of work under warranty. The put all my power adders back on too. I guess I am lucky they did otherwise I would have been sh1t out of luck.
80mm Pro-M mass air, 24lb injectors, 75mm BBK T/B, K&N Filter Cold Air, 1/2" Phenolic intake spacer, Underdrive Pulleys, Dyno Tuned Autologic Chip, FMS Shorty Headers, Mac Prochamber 2 1/2" Off Road H pipe, 2 Chamber Flowmasters,
Steeda lowering springs. Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw shifter, Steeda Power slot rotors w/ Hawk Pro pads, 3.73 FRP Gears. Headwork and Comp cams install in progress.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:10 PM   #4
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
$10,000 worth of work under warranty. The put all my power adders back on too. I guess I am lucky they did otherwise I would have been sh1t out of luck.
I would say you're EXTREMELY lucky.

I have heard of Ford working on the latest PCM software\firmware. They say it will be able to track not only codes but mph and rpm figures for several hundred miles...

Take it in, they hook up the computer and see 7000 rpm, and the "red alert" light is going to go off.

Glad you got it fixed. But in my opinion, folks shouldn't mod a car if they can't afford to bail themselves out if something goes BOOM!
Old 12-23-2002, 03:25 PM   #5
stangt00
Registered Member

I would never do that again, trust me. I had the chip redone to include a rev limiter now so it doesnt happen again.
Quote:
I would say you're EXTREMELY lucky.
Yes, I was extremely lucky in that case. I wouldnt recommend anyone doing what I did. But I did get a new motor out of it I also feel like I finally got something back for all the money I have spent on vehicles and non warranty work.
80mm Pro-M mass air, 24lb injectors, 75mm BBK T/B, K&N Filter Cold Air, 1/2" Phenolic intake spacer, Underdrive Pulleys, Dyno Tuned Autologic Chip, FMS Shorty Headers, Mac Prochamber 2 1/2" Off Road H pipe, 2 Chamber Flowmasters,
Steeda lowering springs. Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw shifter, Steeda Power slot rotors w/ Hawk Pro pads, 3.73 FRP Gears. Headwork and Comp cams install in progress.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:41 PM   #6
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

stangt00
Ok lucky, you got some numbers for the Powerball?

As Hammer pointed out you ducked a bullet, but there are dealerships that are mod friendly but usually not that friendly.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:53 PM   #7
stangt00
Registered Member

Actually, I had purchased the extended warranty when I bought the car (normally never do), and it was the warranty company who told the dealership to go ahead and replace it without even investigating the cause.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:26 PM   #8
Bluefox91LX
Registered Member

a chip, cold air, and a throttle body are not power adders.

power adders are Nitrous, Superchargers, and Turbos....not bolt-ons.

you crazy modular guys!!!!
Old 12-23-2002, 07:45 PM   #9
stangt00
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Let's see, if I put something on my car, and it makes more power on the Dyno, then it ADDED POWER. Technically, it may have freed up power that was already there, but the end result is "MORE AVAILABLE POWER". God, why do people have to post just to try to sound intelligent.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:30 PM   #10
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
why do people have to post just to try to sound intelligent
Because they are. He is more correct than you in the use of the term "power adder". In fact, I've seen this discussion go rounds many a time. I'm going to post a poll in the Blue Oval Lounge to see what the consensus is here.

I've always held to the idea that "power adder" meant F/I or n2o. I let it slide, but you're asking for a whooping with the additiude you threw back. Notice any sarcasm in his response?

Rice Haters Club Member #13
Old 12-23-2002, 09:07 PM   #11
stangt00
Registered Member

Quote:
Technically, it may have freed up power that was already there
As I said, bolt on do this /\ and does not "Add power". So, why cant we all just get along? You say Juice, I say Nos. People will understand. Sorry, I get a little defensive. I know the terminology, but I have gotten used to the slang/ebonics way of speaking. I will try to be more "intelligent" from now on.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:37 PM   #12
Bluefox91LX
Registered Member

wow! i didnt mean to turn this into a defensive argument....but a "power adder" was always different than a "bolt-on" in 5.0land.

bolt ons will probably not void any warranty. (unless it's big things like heads, cam or an intake, or otherwise) but use of Nitrous oxide or a supercharger or a turbo will probably kill a warranty. i am not completely sure on this because i am a foxbody owner and they aint kia's! (hehe, no ten year warranty here!) check with the part manufacturer and your ford dealership for further info on your warranty.

there, did i sound smart enough for you modular guys?!?!?!
Old 12-24-2002, 01:18 AM   #13
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
bolt ons will probably not void any warranty.
By law, a dealership cannot refuse work unless they can prove a certain modification was the cause of a failure, but at many dealerships, getting them to work under such guidelines require a lawyer and court costs. Not worth it in my opinion...

Also, if a dealership found out someone was by-passing the rev limiter and a failure occurred, you can bet your behind that they're not going to fix it under warranty.

As far as the term "power adder".....
in most cases it is forms of forced induction such as blowers, turbos, or nitrous oxide. It is usually not used in reference to normal bolt-ons such as throttle bodies....
Old 12-24-2002, 02:29 AM   #14
DAN-MAN
Confederate Cowboy

Here's a simple bit of advice.

Mod the car after the warranty expires!

Daniel.

RHC MEMBER #25
Old 12-24-2002, 03:31 AM   #15
mlambrecht82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DAN-MAN
Here's a simple bit of advice.

Mod the car after the warranty expires!

Daniel.
How can anyone in their right mind wait that long!!!

Custom Electronic Exhaust cut outs
Tuning via Diablo Predator
Ported and polished Throttle body and plenum
Line locker (for the smoke shows)
Stock boost
412 rwhp 379 rwtq
Old 12-29-2002, 01:24 AM   #16
Janeofalltrades

Default Honesty

stangt00 wrote
"I blew my engine about 6 months ago, and ford replaced it under warranty I had power adders on it too, Chip, Cold air, Trottle body. Funny thing is, the reason it blew, I had the rev limiter taken off when I go the chip burned. Doing about 90, miss-shifted from 4th back to 3rd instead of 5th. BANG! Killed 2 cylinders. $10,000 worth of work under warranty. The put all my power adders back on too. I guess I am lucky they did otherwise I would have been sh1t out of luck."

OK, Sir, one thing I am is honest and well this really chaps my behind!.....A participant on this board or not, this just Sucks!.....

I work hard, earn a good living and like my cars new and fast. So, every couple years I go and look at the price of new cars and nearly ****..I think "Now come on, with the reduction in manufucturing costs, reduction in parts to meet CAFE requirements and including a good 4% for inflationary dollar costs these things really should not cost this much (MSRP not including Mark-ups)"...

We'll, honestly in the end it is people like you Mr. Stangt00, and others like you, who I have to now make up for because of your dishonest claim. We will all never win if your mentality is that they are screwing me, so it's OK...It's not OK....

Please, sir, if you are going to modify your car and alter the engineering that would honestly cause a critical/fatal malfunction/breakdown of your engine, do not file a claim with Ford or their TPA warranty company for YOUR downfall. Hey man, we all make errors, and those of us who were raised a little bit ago belive that you do things honestly. So if you **** up your car, pay for it with your own money. Your thinking of the need for your extended warranty is skewed. Save the $1,200.00 next time and use if to fix your own broken car. That will save me the additional $1,200.00 I'll have to pay when I go get the 2005 Mustang...

Sincerely,

Jennifer
aka Jane of all Trades

BTW: Since you indicate you serve in the military, I say this with all due respect and I thank you for your service and protection.

Old 12-29-2002, 10:36 AM   #17
stangt00
Registered Member

Unhappy

All I said was that I had mods done to the car and the engine was replaced.
Quote:
Actually, I had purchased the extended warranty when I bought the car (normally never do), and it was the warranty company who told the dealership to go ahead and replace it without even investigating the cause.
It wasnt Ford who paid for it. I guarantee Ford would have voided the warranty if it werent for the Warranty company. So, my calim had nothing to do with Ford's prices. My joy in getting the engine replaced under "Extended Warranty" comes from years before hand when I purchased other vehicles with extended warranties, but never used them. Not the fact that I feel I got over on the dealership, or Ford for that matter. What drives vehicle prices at the dealership are the demand for certain vehicles. Dealerships pay a certain amount for each one, then jack up the price depending on the demand for it in that area. Thats why you can get better deals at different dealerships.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:58 PM   #18
Janeofalltrades

Default Whatever makes feel better Honey!

Hey Stangt00,

..Whatever makes you feel better Bro.....

I have had extended warranties through multiple compaines and I read every contract.....I have had to fight tooth and nail to get warranty work on my cars. From new PCM wiring to the air cleaner assemly because it was faulty/short from stock. Even had a catalytic converter go bad as it keep blowing O2 sensors. In CAL we have a 7 year/70,000 mile warranty on emissions parts...The dealership kept replacing O2 sensors instead of figuring out WHY the O2 sensor kept failing. I picked up the new converter at 75,250 miles...When it finally blew another O2 and I went to a REAL shop again to have them pull codes and look at it...LOL...A reputable ASE Certified shop owner and friend had to go to battle for me everytime. I was given such lame excuses from my tampering to the wiring harness to......... I don't know..Driving through a freakin' forest fire..doing 120 MPH to blow the O2 sensors j/k LOL..(Some were pretty lame)..One even tried to say that because I didn't change the oil every 3,000 miles I was void....KKKKKK FORD recommends 5,000 under certain driving conditions...That was in the contract too!

2000 GT
80mm C&L mass air<<< ?
75mm BBK T/B <<< ?
K&N Filter, Cold Air
Underdrive Pulleys <<<?
Dyno Tuned Diablo Chip <<< ?
Mac Prochamber 2 1/2" Off Road H pipe
2 Chamber Flowmasters
Steeda lowering springs
3.73 FRP Gears<<<...??....

Magnuson-Moss Act stipulates........"While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition."1
1. Direct quote from Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975.

....My point is that I am sitting here in disbelief that you were even able to pull that one off.

What was this warranty company? Next time I'm going with them...and then having one hell of a good time in my car with little or no reservations from consequence...

If you look at a micoeconomic model for car manufactures/dealerships/purchasers (personal or fleet)..You would be able to see what I mean by the cost of the vehicle.

Where are any of our econimics majors at?......

Stangt00...OK..Well, I apologize if I was really flaming you, but maybe the bigger lesson learned here is.... just like the dealership mechanic dude that drove the ladies Cobra and treated it like **** and then bragged about it here. He was located and fired from his job....Consequence...

If you feel a little ping in your gut towards the wrong side of the conscience...Don't post it Honey.....It is bound to fire someone up..We can't please all the people all of the time..But, I would also hate for this to ever run back your way...Especially since this happy engine swap occurred 6 months ago....Hope a tech or warranty guy isn't reading along and then starts thinking..Wait a minute! A Diablo chip, removed Rev limiter...VOID, VOID....LOL

~Jenn~

...It's all OK...Just a little wise word from the bitchy moral lady...Just my opinion. should impact ya' that much!

Old 12-30-2002, 09:23 AM   #19
esandes
Registered Member

Well, **** me. This thread is still going.

To the noob who thinks little bolt ons are power adders...no.

Power adders are SCs, nitrous, turbos....not throttle bodies, or K&N filters.

98 GT w/ lots of bolt-ons
Old 01-01-2003, 06:58 PM   #20
stangt00
Registered Member

Unhappy

Jees, I blew my motor, towed it to the dealership, they replaced it, no questions asked. Lukcy? EXTREMELY! This I know. As for esendes callin me a Noob, Piss Off. I've only been into this for a short time, and first time on message forums. I'm sure you were corrected yourself one day. And Jane, I appreciate your inputs and time you spent typing all of that legal stuff into your last post. But, this is exactly how it went :
Quote:
I blew my motor, towed it to the dealership, they replaced it, no questions asked.
Thats it. I never lied. Hell, the dealership knows I got the Chip in there from some other Warranty work thats been done. Can someone CLOSE this thread already, my pants are on FIRE!
Closed Thread