MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-01-2001, 02:29 PM   #1
bark3rd
Registered Member

Question I want nitrous!

I'm sick and tired of outdriving other cars off the line and then getting my doors blown off in 3rd gear when their nitrous kicks in!
Do any of you have nitrous on 99 or later GT's? My local performance shop is a NOS dealer and they say NOS does not have the kit made yet for the new Stangs. What sort of kit should I be looking for with my mods? I have been told not to go over a 75 shot (whatever that means).

------------------
Black 2000 GT,5 spd,17" wheels,4:10's,flowmasters Steeda pulleys, timing adjuster, K&N filter
bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 09:48 PM   #2
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I have only used NOS systems on the '86-'93 5.0 motors, but try the ZEX nitrous kit. I have heard alot about them and it's got a microprocessor that controls the nitrous. I believe the web address is www.zex.com.
Good Luck!

-------------
Nitrous Al
Nitrous Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 12:47 PM   #3
fran6_01gt
Registered Member

Lightbulb

If you want some reall power and experience the real thing get the Nitrous Express Wet System. I'm installing it this Saturday ! I'm planning on going to a 150 Shot. a 75 Shot means a 75 HP Boost. I've been into a 1999 GT with the Nitrous Express Kit and it rocks. This guy had a coupe GT with Flowmasters and MAC Cold Air and his ET's at the track were in the 11's with the 150 Shot. He has been using this kit for 1 1/2 years now and he hasn't had any problems yet.
I talked to the John Stewart, he is the one who built the Nitrous Express Kit and he convinced me into buying the kit. The kit is the best out there. It's garanteed to beat the Blue Bottle Kind (NOS). You don't need to worry about your Fuel Pressure or the Ignition System. It all works for stock applcations. Guess what, you don't even have to retard the timming of your car.

The part # 20-114 goto Nitrouswarehouse.com
you can personally talk to John, he's got 20 years of experience in the business. Trust me he knows what he's talking about.

Let me know how things turn out !

Good Luck.

P.S. I'll let you know how my kit works on MOnday !

------------------
2001 Mustang GT Convertible SOHC 4.6L V8
Steeda Tri-Ax Shiffter Steeda Satin Shiffter Knob
Steeda Chrome-Moly Strut Tower Brace
Steeda Side Winder Graphics
Steeda Under Drive Pulleys(Waiting)

fran6_01gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 06:07 PM   #4
St_Brawler
Registered Member

Talking

I was just looking into kits myself. Come to find that N X kits are pretty good for the 4.6. fran6_01gt let me know how your kit come out, and how you like it.

------------------
2001 GT Convertible
Steeda Timing Adjuster

14.2 @ 97 MPH
St_Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 06:28 AM   #5
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

One word for you all...BOOM!

Your a fool if you think you can run a 150 shot without retarding the timing or running cooler plugs.

------------------
00 GT, MAC Offroad H, Steeda Pulleys & Timing Adjuster, 4.10’s, Flows w/turndowns, UPR shifter, UPR Pro Series LCA’s, Lakewood 70/30’s & 50/50’s, Weld Pro Stars, Kaenen Cobra R Hood, 253.8 RWHP/292.8RWTQ
12.91@101.93 (1.74 60ft)
M/M 100, 7085
Recent Pic from Moroso
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 09:02 AM   #6
fran6_01gt
Registered Member

I guess I'll have to take my chances !

I did however forgot to mention that you have to go with a colder set of plugs, but I called John the guy that actually built this system and I also talked to the guys at Nitrous Express and they both told me that If I retarded the Timming the kit would not run as good. Call them up and you'll find out by yourself if you don't believe me !

------------------
2001 Mustang GT Convertible SOHC 4.6L V8
Steeda Tri-Ax Shiffter Steeda Satin Shiffter Knob
Steeda Chrome-Moly Strut Tower Brace
Steeda Side Winder Graphics
Steeda Under Drive Pulleys(Waiting)

Old 06-27-2001, 09:26 AM   #7
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

I don't need to call up anyone, they are idoits. I've been working on cars for over 10 years and have been using nitrous in my cars, friends cars, in compitions during that entire time. Of course your car will run quicker with more timing, because you'll be lean. Lean equals more power but it also means it will only take one time for that fuel to puddle up in your intake (and it will) before you lean out enough to put a golf ball sized hole in your piston.

You want to take the word from someone that built a kit in the past two years on a car with a fuel system that nobody has been able to master yet, go for it. NOS has been the leading manufacturer of nitrous kits for years why do you think they do not have a kit available for 99 and newer cars? Because it's not safe to run a wet kit and it takes extra tuning to run a dry kit.

Just curious but do you know anything about nitrous and how it works? Do you know the difference between a wet and dry kit? Have you seen the intake runners on a 99 and newer GT? The 99 and new cars were designed (just like every other fuel injected car) to flow air...not fuel. You put fuel through that intake that has bends and curves it will eventually puddle up. When it does it can ignite and backfire popping your intake right off the car. I've seen it using the same exact kit as your buying.

If there was a safe kit out there I'd be the first person in line to buy it. On my last car I ran a 190 shot on a stock 92 LX for 3 years with no problems. I've had friends running dual stage systems up to 400 HP.

Regardless it's your motor and your money. Have fun and by the way you can pull the motor and transmission together from the top of the engine compartment as one.
Old 06-27-2001, 10:56 AM   #8
bark3rd
Registered Member

Mustang 92: thanks for the words of wisdom from your experience. Obviously there are a few manufacturers claiming their kits will work for our cars now, based on your opinion I think I will wait. How will you go about deciding when to trust one of these manufacturers kits? Are you only willing to trust NOS, or are there some basic components/methods of construction that you are looking for in a kit order to feel comfortable using it? Is there a reasonable way to modify the new GT intake/engine to make the currently available kits safe? Thanks, and a 190 shot on my car would be awesome!

------------------
Black 2000 GT,5 spd,17" wheels,4:10's,flowmasters Steeda pulleys, timing adjuster, K&N filter
Old 06-27-2001, 01:21 PM   #9
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Just so everyone knows I'm not trying to flame anyone. Just trying to help people understand what they are getting into. Don't you think that if these kits were so safe everyone would have them?

In my book wet nitrous kits are only good in two forms. One on a carborated car because intake runners are short and there is very little to no way for fuel to puddle up. Second is a direct port or fogger set up because it is injected at the end of the intake runner going into the head.

The only way to go on fuel injected cars is a dry kit. A dry kit injects nitrous only which flows with the air. Additional fuel is provided by increasing fuel pressure thus more fuel out of the injectors. This eliminates fuel in the intake and has shown on dyno's to make better power than wet kits.

On the 96-98 cars you can use a regular dry kit and it works fine but the 99-01 have the returnless fuel system and fuel pressure is regulated at the fuel pump. When it comes to a bran new car that costs $20K+ I would wait for a highly reputable company to release a kit that has been tested and they stand behind. I think the only way it would work properly is with a switch chip that increases fuel when the kit is activated, that same chip should pull approximately 2 degrees of timing for every 100HP of nitrous.

JMS has recently released a nitrous kit which is nothing more than a kit from Compucar and is a dry kit. What they do is put a nitrous fogger nozzle in front of the MAM and it picks up the additional air flow and compensates for it at the injectors. The kit they sell also comes with a custom switch chip to pull timing an add extra fuel to be safe plus comes with a heat range cooler spark plug. I was going to buy that kit but with the type of racing I do I need a car that can be set up to be more consistant. So I'm going with a blower, I've had plenty of nitrous cars but never a blower so I'm trying something new.

By the way our motors will never handle more than a 150 shot due to the poor pistons in them. My 92 had stock cast pistons which can handle some detonation, the hyperpathatic pistons we have break very easily.

I'd suggest if your dying for a nitrous kit right away try JMS and keep the shot small like a 75. They have had great results from it but I personally wouldn't install one until I've seen it in action for a while with no problems.
Old 06-27-2001, 01:32 PM   #10
fran6_01gt
Registered Member

Hey Mustang92,

I would just like to say, ***** Off in a non-sexual way. I was only saying what I heard OK. You didn't have to insult me because of my lact of knowledge. I may not know everything about Nitrous but you can bet your sweet *** that I do know enough. Making fun of other people knowledge just because you have been working on cars and engines for 10 years is not ok dude. We are all supposed to get along on this board. Take this any way you want but you are telling me that you have been working on engine for 10 years now. That's fine but the other guy from Nitrous Express has been working specificaly with Nitrous for 20 years. Now, I don't know who you are and I don't know who John Stewart is, so let me ask you this, "who the hell should I listen too ?"

Dude I'm not the type of guys who likes to argue to much, but when someone insults me like this on a public board, I don't like it very much !
Old 06-27-2001, 02:31 PM   #11
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

I won't resort to your level on the board (check your email BRO!). You give out advice about something know very 'little' about. Ask any person that has experience with nitrous and they tell you to pull timing out when you add nitrous...you do the same thing with a blower.

You can listen to whoever you want to I don't really give a rats a$$. I would however do research, look up the companies that make kits for all cars and see what is involved in them. Nitrous is nitrous it works the same on all cars just some have quirks to work around like fuel injection and returnless fuel systems. Check out the NOS web site and look at FAQ they tell you all the basics about nitrous.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:27 AM   #12
bark3rd
Registered Member

Mustang 92: Man, that other dude needs to chill! The way I see it, you have a car that almost does wheelstands (picture is cool) and runs 12's NA with few mods, I think you would know what is up, plus you aren't trying to push a new product on to the public. Plus, all of your other posts have logically answered many a technical question. About the JMS kit, how would the chip affect what how one would manipulate the Steeda timing adjuster? Since the steeda adjuster stays one a constant setting, I'm guessing that you would need the chip to make real-time adjustments based on throttle position? Does the chip only retard when the power switch activating the NOS is on? Or could I just retard with the STeeda adjuster according to the level of shot I want to use and leave it there?

------------------
Old 06-28-2001, 11:06 AM   #13
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

I'm sure you could work with them but basically they burn the chip as if you had stock timing. So I would say turn it back to 10* stock if your spraying it. This still gives you the ability to retard timing further if you get some detonation. Also if you wanted to run all motor you could just change your timing on the adjuster. I'm not sure here but I believe the chip activate at WOT. Not only does it pull timing but adds fuel so you really can't just tune it via the timing adjuster.
Old 06-28-2001, 11:17 AM   #14
#1 Pony
Registered Member

I was in a Mustang Online shop and they offered Nitrous kits from 50-400hp. Now with the newer Stang's that 92 pointed out the pistons can not handle anything higher than 150... is there anyway we can get around that?
#1 Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 11:57 AM   #15
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Forged pistons.
Old 06-28-2001, 07:34 PM   #16
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Mustang92: Im seriously considering getting the dry kit from JMS, the one w/ the chip. Besides what comes with the kit, is there anything else I need to run the nitrous as safely as possible, i/e: bottle warmer, etc? I will drive most of the time with the non nitrous program running, but when I go out looking for action, I'll arm the system. I'll probably run the nitrous only 2-3 times a month. Thanks.

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Pulleys, mufflers, K&N
Steeda springs, subs, strut tower, CC plates
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 07:50 AM   #17
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Bottle warmer is more for consitency and performance not safety. Really the only thing other than what comes with their kit you could use is a window switch so that you could never arm it below 3K but with the coil on plug ignition I'm not even sure if anyone has gotten them to work.
Old 06-29-2001, 10:55 AM   #18
bark3rd
Registered Member

I talked to a reputable performance shop in my town that also has a racing team that is familiar with the JMS kit (Motion Dynamics 512-259-5242)and he has the same basic opinion as Mustang 92, i.e. not comfortable with nitrous for the newer GT's, and BOOM is the word ("one hiccup and its all over"). He says a supercharger is the only way to go. I talked to guy at JMS and they have only tested on a few cars recently, in a nutshell my conversation with them was not very confidence inspiring. I want nitrous as much as any of you but I am sure not getting very reassuring feeback. I know too that if I have it, I'll use it more than twice a month and I'll probably bump my rev limiter like I often do with my 4:10's and race adrenaline pumping!

------------------
Old 06-29-2001, 11:57 AM   #19
stang1996gt
Registered Member

Talking

hey mustang92, do you know anything about texas nitrous technology (TNT)? are they're systems any good for the 4.6? www.nitrous-power.com for all yous interested.

------------------
1996 GT full exhaust and underdrive pullys: 14.6 @93 MPH
stang1996gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 12:08 PM   #20
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

The kit they offer is the same as the kit by NX just a different way of delivering the fuel and nitrous. It's basically a wet kit. You'll notice most of the cars that they have listed on their web site are either carborated or have direct port systems which are the safest. Personally I've only heard of the company once or twice but I'm sure their stuff works. But just not on a returnless fuel system car with a wet kit.