MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-16-2005, 07:35 PM   #1
BluBisiro
Registered Member

Default Idle Problems

Hey guys!! I installed an Accufab 70mm combo on my '04 gt about two weeks ago. I did not have any idling problems until yesterday after about a 2 hours drive from Orlando, Fl. The when I come to a full stop the idle sits at about 3000 rpm then goes down to about 900 rpm after a few seconds. It also happens when I step on the clutch to shift to higher gear or lower gear. I does not stall though. I have replaced the TPS and still has the same problem. Please help...
BluBisiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 08:33 AM   #2
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Default Re: Idle Problems

My thoughts of hearing an idle hang at 3,000 is the TPS. But, when the TPS is toast, in my experience, it does not drop down. On the two ocassions my TPS was gone it seemed to hand really high and not want to come back down at all.

When it comes to idle challenges, there are a number of components that work together: TPS, IAC, and the TB (Throttle Body). All need to be working properly.

For starters, I would pull your IAC and clean it. Only takes a few minutes, but your car is pretty new, so it should be in good shape.

Another possibility is that your new TB is not closing properly. If you were to remove the TB and hold it up to light, you should not be able to see any gaps under the blade. Gaps mean air. Air means high idle rpms. I know of at least one case where this was a problem with an after-market TB.

Anotherthing to check is the base idle setting. When the base idle is set too low, the idle will "hunt". That is it moves up and down. When the base idle is too high, the idle speed will be too high. The same thing happens as whent he TB won't close far enough.

To check your base idle setting, start the car and unplug the IAC wire harness. If the base idle speed is too low, the car will stall. If the base idle is too high, the rpms will be high. What should happen is that the car should stumble and act like it wants to die, but keep running. If the TB blade won't close far enough due to a defect, the idle will be high and lowering the idle set screw will have minimal affect because too much air is passing under the blade.Hope this gives you a few ideas.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 07:36 PM   #3
BluBisiro
Registered Member

Angry Re: Idle Problems

Thank you Blake..I worked on the car the whole day with a friend, unfortuntely, the problem was still the same. I ended up with one new TPS and IAC. I tried replacing them but was the same. Finally got so frustrated I replaced the original including the TPS and IAC and worked just fine. I guess I ended up getting a defective combo and will have to return it to Mustang Tuning.Com . Hope they would be nice enough to replace it with a working unit. Its just amazing how these after market stuff was ever tested. Cost you a whole bunch and still end up screwed. I also called a friend from a local speed shop and he told me after all that I did he said the unit might have a leak somewhere. Even tested vaccuum with brake spray on all pcv valves and hoses but...I guess I don't have to say.

Anyway, it was nice of you to help and thanks again.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:33 PM   #4
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Sounds like you got a bad TB I am sure there is nothing wrong with the plenum. There si really nothing to them at all. But, there have been some instances of the TB not properly closing.

Now that you have it removed, did you hold it up to a light while the blade is close? Can you see light through it? If so, it's not closing properly.

I am actually the Administrator for Mustang Tunings Forums. Let me know if you have any problems getting your parts exchanged. While I suspect that the plenum is fine, you should try to replace both. If it were me, I would have them send a replacement witht he promise that you can get a refund for the ones you have now. That way you can mix and match and compare the two sets when you get the replacement ones. I don't actually work for MT, so I do not set policies or returned items, but I have sent stuff back and they have always been cool about it.

Drop my name with them when you call and tell them that you know me from this forum and that I have been trying to help you. That may help.

Blake

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 01:37 PM   #5
BluBisiro
Registered Member

Thanks a lot Blake.. I surely appreciate your help. I have done what you suggested and saw quite a bit of a gap and could see the sunlight from that blade gap when I put it up. You are right about where the problem was. I even called a friend at a speedshop to tell him about this and you both have the same conclusion. However, tried calling MT this morning but could not get through. All I could get is a message saying the answering machine is full. I will try shooting them an e-mail today and attach your message to it, hopefully they will respond. I will be having surgery on wednesday and won't be able to call. So I will try again right after. Thanks again for your help...