MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-12-2003, 09:56 AM   #1
bighoss88lx
Registered Member

Default Injector Cleaning

I have a fuel injector on my 88 302 that is leaking from the o-ring in the fuel rail pretty bad. So I was going to go ahead and remove them all and put new o-rings and pintle caps on them. Does anyone know where I can find new pintle caps at? Also while there off I was going to check the resistance on them to see if there within range, and pressurize them on the rail to see if they are leaking at the tips, and clean them. Does anyone have any tips on cleaning a fuel injector, outside mainly, (I know you got to take them in to get them cleaned on the inside)? Also what else should I or could I do while I have them all out and the upper intake off? Thanks.

Engine: Stock 302, Ported Throttle Body, Homemade CAI, K&N Panel Filter, FMS A/C Delete, Smog Delete 71.5" Belt, 180* Thermostat, Convertible Motor Mounts.
Trans: Borg Warner T-5 5 Speed, B&M Ripper Shifter, Steeda Alum. Quadrant, D&D Firewall Adjuster.
Ignition:Ford Racing 9mm Wires, Mallory Promaster Coil, MSD Cap & Rotor, Autolite 25 Plugs.
Exhaust: BBK Shorty Headers, Mac 2.5" O/R H-Pipe, Flowmaster 2 Chamber's Dumped.
Suspension & Chassis:Energy Suspension Sway Bar, End Link, Tranny X- Member & Mount and Rack Bushings.
Other:Mac Aluminum LX Pedals, 16” Pony Wheels, Kuhmo Escta 712 Tires.
bighoss88lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 11:58 AM   #2
Scrapla
Registered Member

Well really inspect your fuel rail, and any vaccum lines, you can do your valve cover gaskets or just make sure there tight since the upper intake gets in the way normally. Im doin the same thing this weekend I have like 4 injectors leaking from the top where they meet the fuel rail and I just replaced the O-rings in them not to long ago but I have new injectors for my new motor so I just need to figure out a way to get me by until then im tired of smellin gas.

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 01:09 AM   #3
5.0CRAZY
Registered Member

Quick questoin here. Do any of the fuel additive "fuel injector cleaners" work? I heard most of them dont but theres a couple brands out there that do...can't remeber the brands though, but that could be bs as well.
5.0CRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 06:22 PM   #4
Scrapla
Registered Member

The caps I have no clue, at the bottom of each injector there are top hats that snap on which come inside the injector rebuild kit which I found at NAPA you need one for each injector or they have just the O ring sets which you need 2 sets (16 rings). Mine are leaking the same as you described and I just removed the fuel rail today and all injectors and gave them a good cleaning installed new ring tops and still have some leaking im thinkin there dirty and clogged and its pushin fuel back up so maybe look into some used injectors maybe outta a scrap car.

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 07:01 PM   #5
svt522
Registered Member

Here's what you need to clean your injectors:

injector wiring pigtail
spray carb cleaner
jumber wires with alligator clips
9V battery

Remove the injectors.
Attach injector pigtail.
Hook jumper wires to injector pigtail and 9V battery. Polarity doesn't matter. (9V battery raises pintel off seat)
Spray carb cleaner through injector until you have a good spray pattern.
Repeat with the other 7 injectors.
Reinstall.

It's that easy, it's low buck, you can DIY!

Kevin
1996 SVT Cobra #522
1973 "Q" code Mach1
1967 F-100, 5.0 Stang engine, ported heads, F-303, Mustang SEFI, 1988 Truck 5-Speed, 9-inch w/ 4.11 Detroit Locker
svt522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 07:34 PM   #6
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

When you install the injectors, put a little tiny bit of vaseline or wheel bearing grease on the o-ring before you slide them into the fuel rail, this will make them seal good and go in easily. And, you can get the pintle caps, o-rings, and plastic ring that go on them at Autozone, O'Reilly's, NAPA, just about any auto parts store. They may say that don't know what you're talking about, just try to find someone who knows more than just how to type crap into the computer. They have them.

1984 LX Hatch
306 w/ TRW forged flat toppers, Comp Cams Magnum 292H, GT40P heads w/ 3 angle valve job, .550 lift springs, Angus Racing Roller Rockers, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 4150 650cfm carb, MAC 1 5/8 Long Tubes, Single Chamber Flowmasters, 91' T5 w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, Turbo Coupe 8.8 Rear w/ 3.55 gears, QA1 Motorsports tubular K member, no interior except steering wheel and seat.
Coming soon: 6 or 8 point cage, Fuel Cell, Weld Draglites
QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 07:40 PM   #7
svt522
Registered Member

The Ford Mustang Service Manual recommends using clean engine oil on the injector o-rings because there's a possibility of clogging the fine micron inlet screen on the injector with the grease.
1996 SVT Cobra #522
1973 "Q" code Mach1
1967 F-100, 5.0 Stang engine, ported heads, F-303, Mustang SEFI, 1988 Truck 5-Speed, 9-inch w/ 4.11 Detroit Locker
svt522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 09:36 AM   #8
bighoss88lx
Registered Member

Well I got it done. Really easy job except I still have a few that are weaping a little gas. I replaced the o-rings and pintle caps also re-sealed the valve covers while I was at it.

Quote:
Originally posted by 5.0CRAZY
Quick questoin here. Do any of the fuel additive "fuel injector cleaners" work? I heard most of them dont but theres a couple brands out there that do...can't remeber the brands though, but that could be bs as well.
I just used some Techron I got at pep-boys and it made a difference in my gas mileage and It also seems to run a lot smoother now. There is another one i will try next made by BG Products, it is supposed to be the best but it cost $17 a can.

Engine: Stock 302, Ported Throttle Body, Homemade CAI, K&N Panel Filter, FMS A/C Delete, Smog Delete 71.5" Belt, 180* Thermostat, Convertible Motor Mounts.
Trans: Borg Warner T-5 5 Speed, B&M Ripper Shifter, Steeda Alum. Quadrant, D&D Firewall Adjuster.
Ignition:Ford Racing 9mm Wires, Mallory Promaster Coil, MSD Cap & Rotor, Autolite 25 Plugs.
Exhaust: BBK Shorty Headers, Mac 2.5" O/R H-Pipe, Flowmaster 2 Chamber's Dumped.
Suspension & Chassis:Energy Suspension Sway Bar, End Link, Tranny X- Member & Mount and Rack Bushings.
Other:Mac Aluminum LX Pedals, 16” Pony Wheels, Kuhmo Escta 712 Tires.
bighoss88lx is offline   Reply With Quote