MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-25-2002, 07:39 AM   #1
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

Default Just a few easy questions......

I was just wondering what you guys have gotten your mostly stock GT's and Corba's up to.....as in top speed?. Also for the 5spd guys, what speeds/rpm do you normally shift at when racing?

Best to date: 14.331@97.46mph with 14*/stock fan/short belt and a 2.222 60' in 90 degree weather

Waiting to put on Off road H and 1 5/8 headers

Rice Hater's Club #36
MattwantsSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 08:28 AM   #2
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Not sure how many people have actually made any high speed runs (because there aren't many safe ways or places to do it,) but a stock GT mustang can easily pull past 140. Cobra's should pull past 150, but I am not sure about any factory speed limiters or what not. Why are you worried about going that fast anyway? There's nothing but bad that can happen at those speeds. If your buying a Mustang for that reason, you might want to re-think it.
As far as shift points, it all depends what year and model you are talking about.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 09:15 AM   #3
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Post i'm not too sure.

i ran a cobra with a 5.4 L swapped for the 4.6 and just about all the mods you can imagine. well, lets just say. at 150 i think the car could have done alot more..... that is real scary though. i would not recommend doing that, it was just a top end run. spraying a ZO6. it will NEVER happen again. my cobra is set for drag racing and can handle shifting right before the rev limiter set by my MSD. when i shift depends on everything.... when im racing. i drive it like i stole it. hehehe....
vtec8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 10:00 AM   #4
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

I'm lucky if I get the car up to 125 before I have to slow down . The area near me has no good roads. The only time I got up to 145 was on my motorcycle, and you know what? I will never do it again. I hit a tiny bump and nearly sh#t myself. I don't think anyone needs to go much faster than 120 anyway, i don't think its the main reason you want to mod a car.

Don't poke fun at me about the almost sh#tting myself thing, most people who don't race everyday probably would too .

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 11:04 AM   #5
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Default i agree

rice hunter,
you are definitely not alone in that situation..... i thought i was gonna throw up in my helmet when i made the mistake of riding on the back of gsxr 1000 when he rode a wheelie at 80+. its one thing to drive yourself, that is scary enough.... but to have your life in someone else's hands is a little too much for me. anyone who cannot respect that has never ridden a bike.
Old 04-25-2002, 12:11 PM   #6
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I've had my 2000 GT (5spd) up to 145 before I decided enough was enough. I was racing a LS-1 Bird down back country roads on the way to my freinds house.

That definetly wasnt one of my brighter moments. Although I wouldnt reccommend trying any high speed turns at that speed, the car seemed suprisingly Stable (Maybe decievingly so). But the road was also flat and void of any potholes, traffic, and road surface variance.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 12:23 PM   #7
01silverstreak

I had mine (auto) up to 140 and it still had more. racing a S2000 on the parkway at 3am. Takes balls, but had to be done. Since than never have gone over 100. 100mph is enough to decide who the winner is when you race someone.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:40 PM   #8
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Yeah, 100 should do it. When I had gotten up to 125, I had the guy beat by 90, or was beat (stupid SS's) by 90. That last bit of acceleration was just for sh#ts and giggles I guess.

vtec8ter,
Haha, man that was ballsy! I don't like doing wheelies with just me on the bike. Scarey, but man, what a story! A two person wheelie!

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Old 04-25-2002, 03:14 PM   #9
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

I was just wondering for the hell of it. Not that I ever plan to, but like I said.....just wondering

Best to date: 14.331@97.46mph with 14*/stock fan/short belt and a 2.222 60' in 90 degree weather

Waiting to put on Off road H and 1 5/8 headers

Rice Hater's Club #36
MattwantsSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 04:30 PM   #10
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Post rice hunter

no that wasnt ballsy. my friend pulled that as a suprise. i didnt know it was coming. i will never get on the back of a bike with them again though, their girls are crazy. he raced a lightning to at least 120....wasnt a race. but she was just on their all calm. not me... i would rather just stay in the car. and drive or drive the bike myself. where in PA are you from? near phili? ever come to MD to race?
QUOTE]Originally posted by Rice Hunter
Yeah, 100 should do it. When I had gotten up to 125, I had the guy beat by 90, or was beat (stupid SS's) by 90. That last bit of acceleration was just for sh#ts and giggles I guess.

vtec8ter,
Haha, man that was ballsy! I don't like doing wheelies with just me on the bike. Scarey, but man, what a story! A two person wheelie!
[/QUOTE]
Old 04-25-2002, 04:43 PM   #11
GaryDawg
Registered Member

I've only ever taken mine up to 115, but it was on mountain roads with lots of dips and curves... If it were straight and flat I would have done more but those straight, flat area had cops all over the place...
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 08:06 PM   #12
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Rice Hunter - Doylestown, Huh? I am right in Warrington. What kind of car do you drive? We may know each other.
I drive a black '97 Tbird. Its not much yet, but hopefully will be something by the end of the summer.
Edit: ok, just went back to another post and you are the one with the 99 Cobra. Let me know what color, etc and I'll kept my eye out for you.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 06:56 AM   #13
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Yeah, I'm fairly near philly, but no, I haven't been there. Just a few street races here and there.

Hmmmm, I don't know if I have seen you. My Cobra is black with a tan convertible top, but unfortunately, I'm at work at around 6:00am (after a 45min commute) and home late, so I'm not around much

If you see a guy that's in a black Cobra convertible trying to look cooler than he really is, it's probably me! Haha.

I'll keep my eye's open! It's awesome to find people in my area! Maybe I'll stop by MD sometime! I'll give you a heads up when/if I do!

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Old 04-26-2002, 02:22 PM   #14
COUSIN ROB
Registered Member

I had a 1995 supercharged rag top out on the highway. Had it up to 140. Way too fast. Even the long sweeping curves in the road seemed a bit sharp. The center divider kept beckoning me closer. The other thing that took me by surprise was when i let my foot off the gas to change gears, the whole car relaxed as the torque came off the wheels, and then tensed up again as i continued to excelerate. You have to be ready for that especially
in the curves. This GT was putting out about 485 hp. Probably too much for a convertible
COUSIN ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 02:44 PM   #15
SLOW 97
Registered Member

I hit 130 on a back road leaving a drag strip in Wisconsin. It was pretty crazy. I wanted to go faster but that road was a bit to rough for that high of a speed. As for shifting while racing power shift and drivw it like you stole like VTEC8TER said. It depends on who you are racing though. If it's rice, you shouldn't have to try too hard. Americans cars you might need to put some effort into it.
Ripped off a BLISTERING 15.37@90MPH
With a 2.21 60ft
Just Installed- K&N Air Filter
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
-Flowmaster A/T or Magnapack Cat-Back
SLOW 97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: