MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-25-2003, 08:21 PM   #1
98GTNewbie
Registered Member

Smile Just got a 98, have some questions?

Hello to all. I am hoping some here can answer some of my intial questions. My car which I just got 3 days ago. Is a 1998 GT and looks like new inside and out. It had one issue when I purchased it which is going to be fixed Wednesday. The car has 77000 miles on it. The rear end needs new bearings and one side needs an axle shaft. They are also going to re-do the wheel bearings. The engine sounds solid and the car handles very nicely. Now on to my questions. I would like to do some minor upgrades. I need to know if anyone has experience with the K&N Filter and how much HP and Torque that will add. As well I was considering a underpulley set, but read somewhere about a person doing this and then having issues with his check engine light as well as alternator and battery? Is there a set that is fullproof, or close to it. Also once again how much HP and Torque will pulleys add. I will need to have a mechanic do most upgrades so that is going to add to my cost. Any recomendations in Las Vegas? One last thing can this engine / miles handle these kind of upgrades? I have read that the two I mentioned are simple and actually can help the engine work easier?

Thanks for any info, Chris
98GTNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 03:46 PM   #2
GaryDawg
Registered Member

I don't think a K&N is going to yield anymore hp... but it's a permanent filter so you don't have to keep replacing it.

I don't know about the pullies but wanted to say...

"Cool... you live in Vegas... so do I..."

Enjoy the '98!
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 04:48 PM   #3
96_4.6
Registered Member

Do a search

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-2 Chamber Flowmaster mufflers
-3000 RPM Stall
-JLT CAI with special K&N
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat
-FRPP 4:10's
*FOR SALE C&L TRUE FLOW INLET PIPE WITH K&N*
My Stang
96_4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 08:24 PM   #4
surfbeast
Registered Member

while they are fixing the rear end put in a set of 3:73 gears. No HP gain but it is the best Mod for the buck ( you can feel the difference ). The K&N is nominal HP and the pullies are no problemo! still minimal HP gain. Number one rule " DO NOT BELIEVE THE ADDS WHEN THEY STATE HP GAINS ! ! ! " Read the FAQ's and folllow the site and learn before you go mod happy. It will set you on the right path. There are too many ways to go and depending on budget you have to chose your own way of getting there. MY own opinion is, Gears, Exhaust( X/H and cat back) , pullies, chip, K&N somewhere in between all those, by then you will want a better car. The 98's are good starter cars but cost much more to get the extra HP than the 99 up with the PI heads.

Good luck and welcome!
Old 08-26-2003, 08:31 PM   #5
98GTNewbie
Registered Member

Default Existing Upgrades ???

How can I tell if the previous owners did any upgrades?

Chris
Old 08-30-2003, 12:41 AM   #6
98GTNewbie
Registered Member

Default Rear End Fixed

The repair is done and now all that grinding noise is gone. Sure wish someone new about the last question. Also anyone know the HP gain and lowest cost aftermarket exhaust upgrade?

Chris

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: