MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-27-2005, 09:23 AM   #1
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Default Lamborghini Engine Swap

A lot of people with Mustangs that do engine swaps go for the 4.6L 3.2V Cobra V8, what if I wanted to exchange the motor in my 2001 GT with a 6.5L Lamborghini V12. The only thing I see as a problem would be connecting the transmission...which meant I'd probably have to put in a different one. Aside from that, what could be some things I'd have to tend to: such as brake lines, battery, suspension, drive-train etc...In other words is it plausible.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:02 PM   #2
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool Re: Lamborghini Engine Swap

Without knowing the dimensions of the Lambo 6.5 and how it would mount into the engine bay ....... plausible??

Haven't seen it done.............yet!

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:19 AM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Default Re: Lamborghini Engine Swap

Nightmare... x10

Not only do you have to worry about mounting the mid engine Lambo engine into a front engined Mustang engine bay in regard to transmission mounting, but also motor mount locations in the K-member. Add in the fact you'll need a completely custom exhaust system, and the electronics between the two setups wouldn't even be distant cousins, and you're asking for a huge mess. Also, the stock transmission will never deal with the power.

Also... what engine are you talking about? I'm not aware of any 6.5L displacement engines manufactured by Lamborghini. That brings up another issue too. Depending on the engine, the redline may hurt the reliability of the transmission you choose because of the input shaft rpms. Oh, some accessory drives might not be built for the kind of rpms that some Lambo engines will see which means you'll need different pulleys, in addition to the custom mounting brackets to use the accessories in the first place.

Starting to get the picture? Hehe.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:17 PM   #4
YsOffcr
Registered Member

Anything is plausible with enough money, time, and knowledge. I've seen a Miata with an LS1 shoved in it. Why not a Stang with a Lambo engine.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:51 PM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Nobody is saying it's technically impossible. Anyway, the Lambo to Mustang swap is likely to be far more difficult given the ultra limited production of the Lamborghini. LS1's are a dime a dozen, and so are their engine management systems. The Miata has also been receiving V-8s for many years now. The Monster Miata featured a 5.0 V-8 and was produced by a dedicated company for a few years.

It's also front engine to front engine with enough room for a transmission made for the V-8 to bolt up.

The Mustang is front engine rear drive, meaning no transmission built for the Lambo engine will be available to install into the Mustang. In addition, the Lamborghini engine is 6 cylinders deep where the LS1 cars and Miata were designed for a 4 cylinder deep engine.

Bottom line, it'll cost a fortune, and the return on the investment isn't worth it. Unless you're obsessed with the idea, and you like engines that are built to run 20,000 miles in a lifetime, it's a bad idea.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote