MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-03-2002, 10:02 AM   #1
avbcon12
Registered Member

Default long tube questions, which one??

i am looking to get some long tubes for, well as cheap as i can for good quality and fit.
shich brand is good? i was looking at hedmans "torq- step" long tubes which seem to be reasonable. only $205.

are the summit long tubes any good for the price? i mean can someone live with them on their daily driven car?? i will have any header i buy ceramic coated so thats not an issue.

im just looking for something that will work and last....

thanks,
adam
ported GT-40 heads w/ 1.7RR, Cobra intake w/ ported lower, 24# injectors, 190LPH pump, 75mm Pro-M MAF, 65mm TB, K&N panel, BBK long tubes, Off road H-pipe, 2 ch. Flowmaster, Black magic fan, Kirban FPR, 180 deg. T-stat, 3.73's, Steeda Tri-Ax, 130 amp alt. Accell 8.8 race wires/cap/rotor, motorcraft plugs, Factory Five suspension, etc etc etc....

http://avbcon12.stangnet.com
avbcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 12:05 PM   #2
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Stay away from MAC! That said, I've run MAC long tubes for about a year, and they've never sealed at the collector and began to rust badly just at the end of the summer. They fit alright, but the individual flange isn't something I'm fond of. I've heard great things about BBK's long tubes, I don't think they're too expensive.

As for daily driving, never had a problem there, they make great low end torque vs. shorties (equal and unequal). Just as long as you get the right headers and Hpipe (for manual or auto) and then you'll be alright.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 12:07 PM   #3
avbcon12
Registered Member

have you or anybody ever heard anything about the torque step headers from hedman?? or the summits...

i just dont like the collector on the MAC's or BBK's. i would rather have a 3" flange than a ball type.

thanks,
adam
ported GT-40 heads w/ 1.7RR, Cobra intake w/ ported lower, 24# injectors, 190LPH pump, 75mm Pro-M MAF, 65mm TB, K&N panel, BBK long tubes, Off road H-pipe, 2 ch. Flowmaster, Black magic fan, Kirban FPR, 180 deg. T-stat, 3.73's, Steeda Tri-Ax, 130 amp alt. Accell 8.8 race wires/cap/rotor, motorcraft plugs, Factory Five suspension, etc etc etc....

Old 03-03-2002, 12:18 PM   #4
Five0
Registered Member

These are the mac long tube headers, as you can see I do not like the ball flange either.
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX
Dart iron eagle block, 4340 28oz 347 crank, 4340 h-beam rods, probe ultra light pistons canfield heads “race ported by Brent Frazier”, solid roller cam and lifters “custom grind”, kooks 1 7/8" race headers, and much more.

Engine built by Brent Frazier.
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 12:24 PM   #5
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

Talking cant ever go wrong

you can ever go wrong with hooker super comps.
Oldschoolpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 05:04 PM   #6
avbcon12
Registered Member

but the super comps are so expensive compared to others on the market....

i am looking for cheap and quality, now i know these two dont really go hand and hand but give me the best comprimise...

thanks,
adam

Old 03-03-2002, 11:45 PM   #7
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

For cheap and best quality...BBK Chrome $239(Jegs).....I've never seen uncoated BBK Longtubes so I can't help you out there....the Coated ones go for $380. You buy a cheap header, you get a cheap header. You'll get cheap flanges that warp easily, and thin tubing that is weak. BBK's have a one piece 3/8 flange, and I believe a 14 gauge tubing, vs. 18 gauge tubing, and a really cheap flange with hedman's.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 08:22 AM   #8
avbcon12
Registered Member

ok thanks,

the reason i brought up hedman is because i used a set on a ranger i had and they seemed to be "ok". i wouldnt say they were great but i felt for the price they were a good deal.

what about summits??? i know they have had a quality issue but like i said i will have any header i buy coated so rust really isnt an issue (and i will be driving only on nice days). i have heard good things about them. what do you guys think?

thanks,
adam

Old 03-04-2002, 11:19 PM   #9
theforce
Registered Member

Default Long Tube Headers

Headers are just like anything else. If you got a $10 head buy a $10 dollar helmet. I've had everything from Motorsport, Hooker, RCI, and Kook's. Of course I own a set of Kook's custom slip fits now, but that is not in everyones budget. Most of my sets of headers have been used because in my earier years of Stangin I was just trying to scrape enough money together just to buy the used parts. The best bang for the buck was the Hooker Super Comps. The quality for the price is good. I had no problems with leaks. I have only heard horror stories about Mac. Stay away from Mac. RCI's used to be expense but I bought a set (1 3/4")about two years ago for $150. They were very dinged but still solid. This is a good header a clears scattershields and C-4's etc. There are deals out there to be had. Just make sure you do the research before buying a brand and be happy with your purchase new or used. May The Force Be With You.