MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-23-2001, 09:45 AM   #1
DEPete
Registered Member

Post Looking at a lowered '97 Cobra

I am thinking about buying a '97 Cobra convertible. About 20K on the odometer. The car has the BBK springs and off-set rack bushings. The owner tells me that the springs lowered the car 2 inches. I believe the car has the original shocks/struts. Any problems with this set-up? Anything I should look for in terms of problems? Does the 2 inches sound right (I would have expected something closer to an inch)? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
DEPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 11:32 AM   #2
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I don't know offhand what the BBK setup drops the car... most are like an inch to an inch and a half tops. If they are indeed the stock shocks and struts you are definately going to want to get something stronger. KYB's or Tokicos would be a good choice. It might even be hanging lower due to the stock shocks and struts.

The only thing I know about Cobras is that I want one There are some Cobra owners here that can fill you in on the rest.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 11:38 AM   #3
DEPete
Registered Member

Question

Thanks Stefan. Any idea how much stiffer the ride will be with the aftermarket shocks/struts? I'm not 18 anymore, and don't want the car to ride like my F150.
Old 03-23-2001, 12:03 PM   #4
Rocket 99GT
Registered Member

I just finish lowering my car, it only lower by 1 and a quarter inch. The people I bought the kit from told me that lowering the car more than that means that you will never be able to do an aligment right.
The garage that did the work could not do an alignment, I had to take the car to a different garage (they gave me the print out which I am looking at right now).
I also had to install caster-camber plates (is use for alignment) and tokiko adjustable struts and shocks.
If the person is telling you that the car is lower then open the hood and tell him to show you the caster-camber plates, every time you lower a car you have to install this plates in order for the car to align properly.
Rocket 99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 12:15 PM   #5
DEPete
Registered Member

Thanks Rocket. Not to sound like an idiot, but where are the caster-camber plates mounted, and what do they look like? I'm going to look at the car this weekend and I'd like to be able to spot them.

How does your '99 ride with the new suspension?
Old 03-23-2001, 12:19 PM   #6
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

The caster/camber plate is the upper strut mount on top of the strut tower.
From what I've heard, anything more than about an inch lower than stock requires them to reduce negative camber enough to prevent severe wear of the inner side of the tire.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 12:57 PM   #7
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Here's my car. 97 Cobra lowered about 1.25" with Griggs springs. The CC plates are in the first picture on the second page.
http://www.geocities.com/smenk_99/index.html

The next picture down shows MM's aluminum rack mounts. They're a better idea then off set bushings.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 01:24 PM   #8
cobrayankee
Registered Member

You can check out my profile in user's rides and see mine. I have a 1 1/2" drop using BBK's 4 spring kit. Been on for 20K miles, and no problems as of yet. By the way, I'm in baltimore, down the road from you. So if that deal doesn't work out, mine is up for sale too, with or without the mods.

------------------
1997 Cobra (Black on black), C+L 80mm MAF, K+N filter, Pro 5.0 shifter, BBK Springs, Taylor Wires, 2 Chamber Flows, ASP Pulleys, BBK off road H pipe.
cobrayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 02:17 PM   #9
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

My Tokicos give a stiffer ride but it is not bone-jarring by any means. Mine are the non-adjustable version. The adjustable Tokicos have five different settings to allow for greater control over your driving style. Mine is not a corner carver or drag car so I went with the non-adjustable ones. I love them. They helped make my ride feel a lot more solid - and the rest of my suspension is still bone stock.

BTW i'm 30 and they don't bother me

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote