MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-25-2001, 05:08 PM   #1
blue-thunder
Registered Member

Post loudest exhaust set up

i have a bone stock 97 gt convertible. i want to put on a side exiting exhaust system. but i dont know what to get. i plan on also getting an x or h pipe and headers. i'd like to get the loudest i can possibly get. also what is the difference in sound with x/h pipes.
blue-thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 01:00 PM   #2
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I'm not sure which setup is the loudest. I think the Dynomax muffs that come in the Classic Design Concepts www.classicdesignconcepts.com side exhaust kit are louder than mine (I have the Borla Rebel 500 side exit) and I have never heard the Rousch setup. Generally Hpipes are louder than Xpipes. Check my sig for a sound file of the Borlas. I still have my stock Hpipe on so it is more mellow than it is loud but it's still more aggressive than stock.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 02:24 PM   #3
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

The loudest set up possible would be long tube headers to offroad H-pipe to one chamber flows, turned down. But to do that, youd have to forget about the side exit thing. That combo rumbles buildings. You can feel that loudness. We're talking loud, here. I mean it...

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Magnaflow mufflers, K&N
Steeda springs, subs, strut tower, CC plates
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 05:58 PM   #4
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

To get the sound you want, you'll have to run an offroad H-pipe.
The disadvantage is that there are no cats, so you will have to put your stock H-pipe back on once a year for emissions. And you will also have to get MIL eliminators to take care of the computer.
The up side is you will gain a lot of power for the money, about $99-150 for the H-pipe and about $60 for each MIL, and you will have one mean sounding Stang.
Ohh yeah, the headers are a waste of time and money on a N/A 4.6L. Even with a power adder, they still won't make much of a difference on a 96-98 4.6. because of the very poor flowing exhaust side of the heads.

------------------
1997 Thunderbird 4.6L: Dynomax exhaust, Lightning 80mm MAF, Accufab MAF adapter, 7" powerstack cone filter, B&M 24,000GVW trans cooler, Inject-Tech chip, many more to come...15.2 @ 91. Not bad for a 3800lb auto 4.6L

No Longer own: 91 LX 5.0L 5 spd

[This message has been edited by 91LX2Bfast (edited 04-26-2001).]
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 07:49 PM   #5
white99cobra121
Registered Member

glass packs
white99cobra121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 11:00 PM   #6
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Just run straight headers if you want it to be really loud.

Any thing can be loud and obnoxious. Why do you want it to be really loud? Don't just shoot for a loud sounding exhaust. Go for performance as well as a real good sound. Not just to be loud and heard. BTW, even then your side exit exhaust will not be as loud as dumping it off in front of the rear axle. Unless you can fabricate an off-road short h-pipe that branches to the side like straight pipes or something. And even then you will LOSE performance with that set up. Do some research. There's more to an exhaust than just sound. And a high performance exhaust will be plenty loud enough and get you lots of attention. Look at Bassani, Borla, Magnaflow, Dynomax, Flowmaster, and MAC just to name a few good ones.

------------------
1994 Red SVT Lightning #2019
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 11:05 PM   #7
Ares
Registered Member

Actually straight /open headers can be very quiet on a well tuned motor. You should here some of the super cars that run at my local track. Some are so mellow you swear they were running an exhaust, but they dont I have checked.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 12:07 AM   #8
Y2KGT
Registered Member

Red face

Quote from white99cobra121:
Quote:
glass packs
Yikes!

I have a friend that took the exhaust off of his '96 Camaro. The damn thing caused so much vibration that it eventually broke loose all the material in his cats. Because he had also had rich condition the catylists had basically turned into a brick. Loose cork rattling around in exhaust pipe = blown head gasket!

One thing about loud exhaust, get ready for everything that is slightly loose inside your car to start rattling.

just my $0.02...

------------------
2000 GT -- Black, 5sp, Mach460, Bassani CatBack & X-Pipe, MAC Cold Air, 70mm TB, Tri-Ax Shifter
1966 Mustang Coupe -- Tahoe Turquoise, Pony Int, A-Code, C4 Auto
------------------
scott@pearland.com
Y2KGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 11:13 AM   #9
King Snake
Registered Member

Louder is not always better. Kinda like someone putting a sh!tload of woofers in thier car to make it as loud as possible but could care less about the mids and tweets and overall sound quality. Anyway, you would probably be happy with the sound from an offroad H-pipe. I had one and it was too loud for me, even with the stock mufflers.

------------------
'97 Cobra, Rio Red, MAC Cold Air Kit, 3.73s, NGK V-Power
BBK H-pipe w/cats (Coming Soon!!)
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 03:10 PM   #10
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I am patiently awaiting the arrival of my side exit exhaust from Classic Design Concepts. Once ( if ever ) get it installed, I'll get some pics and sounds if you are still waiting and wondering what you should get. I know Stefan wants to hear it!

------------------
1998 Mustang GT with a 4.6 liter V8, Black
98'MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote