MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-28-2001, 06:23 PM   #1
griffen99
Registered Member

Question Lowering My 2K GT

I am getting ready to lower my 2K GT Conv., I just put 17x11's in the rear and 17x9.5 in the front. Is Eibach the way to go as far as springs? And do you think I should replace my shocks and struts? If so, what would you recommend?

------------------
griffen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 10:18 PM   #2
Y2KGT
Registered Member

Lightbulb

I haven't lowered my 2k GT yet, but maybe some of my research can help.

Eibach makes a spring set that they sell through Ford Motorsport that I am looking at getting in the not too distant future. The Motorsport branded springs lower the car 2" all the way around. However, when you lower your car at least 2", you will definately need camber caster plates and probably new shocks.

I am planning on using the Hotchkis camber caster plates. I looked at a set last time I was in Tommie Vaughn and they are a very high quality piece. As for shocks, I am not quite sure what I am going to use yet, but I probably will go with the ones that FRPP sells for use with their Eibach springs.

I am going to wait to lower mine until I have enough money to install springs, CC plates, shocks, and Hotchkis rear upper and lower adjustable control arms all at the same time. Suspension labor is so expensive that you might as well buy the good stuff and do it right the first time.

------------------
2000 GT -- Black, 5sp, Mach460, Bassani CatBack & X-Pipe, MAC Cold Air, 70mm Tbody, Hurst Shifter
1966 Mustang Coupe -- Tahoe Turquoise, Pony Int, A-Code, C4 Auto
------------------
scott@pearland.com
Y2KGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 12:10 PM   #3
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Eibachs are a good choice. You may also want to look at the H&R springs that Maximum Motorsports sells - they offer 4 different sets of progressive rate springs. I have the H&R 'Race' springs on my '79 Pace Car and am very happy with the performance.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 08:28 PM   #4
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

DO NOT! Lower your car more than 1.5 inches, preferrably no more than 1.25 inches. If you do your suspension geometry will be way out of balance and you will damage your suspension as well as your chassis. Motorsport "C" springs are good to use, though you will need caster/camber plates and better shocks and struts such as Tokicos. They will lower your car about an inch or so and yes you can tell with just being lowered an inch and it looks good, too. I've seen it vary a bit from car to car. I would get better shocks and struts, too. The stock ones will not hold up. Koni and Tokico are the way to go. Eibach's springs are good as well as the Steeda springs (made by Eibach) are cheaper than buying the straight Eibach brand name. Here's some websites to do some research on. www.globalwest.net/ www.griggsracing.com/ www.ipschassis.com/ There might be one or two others that I"m forgetting, too, but those should help.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 03-02-2001).]
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 01:26 PM   #5
Rocket 99GT
Registered Member

I just had a steeda "G-TRACK", stage one and two (check steeda.com), I paid about $1200 for both kit. It has everyting (and more) that 96gts is saying.
However my car is in the garage because they are having problems adjusting the caster/camber plates. I will keep you posted.
Rocket 99GT is offline   Reply With Quote