MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-03-2000, 08:42 AM   #1
97FORD GEE TEE
Registered Member

Question Lowering springs, which ones? help

Hey guys, what lowering springs should i go with for a low look and better handling. I want to notice its lowered so i need more than a 1" i was thinking 1.5-2" drop. Should i get the eibach or the BBK kit, MM&FF did an article on the bbk and said it was pretty good for the $$$. I cant afford saleen or steeda and i know steeda springs are eibachs, also someone told me to get sprint suspension springs for a low 2" drop. anyone heard of these, i looked at their page, they dont look to reliable. Let me know, i want a lowered look to rid of that wheelwell space and better handling, also do i need to change the caster/camber plates?? thanks guys
97FORD GEE TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2000, 09:03 AM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Wink

Go with the Eibachs, you won't regret it...
About a 1 1/4 inch drop. Looks great, just be very careful on speed bumps and crests of hills on the local streets, you WILL scrape the cats from time to time. Handling seems to be a bit better since lowered with the Eibachs too. You will need to get caster\camber plates if you want your tires to wear evenly, don't lower it without them. I use the BBK plates and they work fine.

You might want to consider the "steering rack" bushings (I think that's what you call them) also to remove the bump steer wou will get after lowering. Its not bad usually, but my car is a daily driver and I'm seriously considering a set as I'm getting tired of fighting the wheel on uneven roads...

If its done right, a lowered mustang looks pretty mean...

------------------
"The Yellowjacket"
1998 Mustang GT
13.97@103
"Traction Impaired" or "Nitto Needy"

"They think they can make fuel from horse manure.... Now, I don't know if your car will be able to get 30 miles to the gallon, but it's sure gonna put a stop to siphoning."
- Billie Holliday
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2000, 10:19 AM   #3
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Why not get the Steeda's Eibachs? $189 for them where as the reg Eibachs are like $209-219 every where else. Don't go over 1.25"-1.5". Your suspension geometry will be screwed up as well as handling and you can say bye-bye to your suspension in about 10-20k miles. Same thing with cutting the stock springs. Never do that. Might as well save money on future suspension replacement and don't go over the limit. Tokico also sells a kit that includes springs and shocks/struts for a real good price. You might consider them cause your stock shocks/struts will not be able to handle the lowering springs and will also have to be replaced. The BBK's are crap. I've heard/seen nothing good about them. A friend of mine had them on his 97 and hated them. Don't mess with Saleen. Way over priced. Caster/camber plates would also be a great recommendation.

------------------
FOR SALE: 1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, 16 inch Mustang GT wheels; 48,000 miles. $11,500
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2000, 12:14 PM   #4
97FORD GEE TEE
Registered Member

Question

Hey guys thanks for your input, now the steeda springs are those the same drop as everyone else is using, when they get the eibach kit, or is it not as low, it says an inch to 1 1/4" i was kinda hoping for something to make my car look lowered as well as handle better, i might have to go with the springs and use them for about 3000 miles till i can afford new tockico shocks too. Let me know what you guys think, should i get caster /camber before shocks. K thanks for your input i want to make a decision by the end of the week, oh and yellow hornet, is your car lowered on your page in mustangworks readers rides, or is that still stock height? I thought you mentioned you lowered it in your post but i may have read wrong, thanks !
Old 10-03-2000, 01:14 PM   #5
2cammer97
Registered Member

i say go with the steeda sport springs, they make the car set and look great,handle awesome and best of all the ride quality is not rough at all. my friend has eibach on his 96 and my car sets much better. get them, you will not regret it. i also recommend getting offset steering rack bushings to keep good front end geometry, for only 25 bucks the bushings are worth it. you can get them from steeda also. good luck man, hope this helps.

------------------
97 Mustang GT Rio Red w/ tan leather
Nitto NT555extreme 255/45ZR17 on all fours
Steeda sport springs
Steeda caster/camber plates
Offset steering rack bushings
Tokico struts/shocks
Steeda Triax shifter
FMS heavy duty clutch w/ aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster
FMS 3.73 Gears
FMS 70 mm Throttle body
Pro-M 87 mm mass air
MAC cold air induction
FMS underdrive pullies
FMS 9mm plug wires
Steeda timing adjuster
MSD DIS-4 ignition
Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Walbro 190 lph fuel pump
FMS shorty headers
Bassani x-pipe w/ cats
Mac cat-back exhaust
Mac white face gauges w/ autometer shiftlight
2cammer97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2000, 04:41 PM   #6
cobrayankee
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I have the BBK kit and haven't had any problems except for the speed bumps of course. Looks great after it's been dropped. I have a side pic on my profile. Check it out. You may want to drop your back end down farther if you want an even stance and you drag a lot. Just helps a little more when throwing all that weight to the rear.

------------------
1997 Cobra, C+L 80mm MAF, Pro 5.0 shifter, BBK Springs, Taylor Wires, 2 Chamber Flows, ASP Pulleys, MAC off road H pipe.
cobrayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2000, 07:04 PM   #7
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

An inch to 1.25" drop is still very noticable. It will look great. I promise. Look at Steeda's cars for example. Go to similar sites as Steeda such as Saleen, Global West, Griggs, IPS, and MRP Racing. They all only drop their cars 1-1.25". Your car will also handle and ride the best at that height. You can get the CC plates before the shocks/struts. Just make sure you get the shocks/struts in the very near future. I'm sure the shocks/struts will remind you about it in about 8-10K miles when they are shot. You should be alright for about the 3000 miles like you said. Good luck. Keep us posted. Oh, and welcome to the board.

------------------
FOR SALE: 1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, 16 inch Mustang GT wheels; 48,000 miles. $11,500

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 10-03-2000).]
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2000, 12:59 AM   #8
97snakedriver
Registered Member

1.25" is all you want to go w/o a lot of other work, or you'll screw up the geometry. Its also a good idea to save up and go with springs, cc plates, bushings, and shocks/struts all at once. More then just about any other set of components on a car, the interaction of suspension components is one that needs to be carefully balanced.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2000, 06:45 PM   #9
97FORD GEE TEE
Registered Member

Exclamation

K well I think you guys sold me on the steeda's, they are a good quality company, and i suppose the drop would be just as noticeable as getting the eibachs right, they both drop the car the same amount??? I do want good handling, and definitely to get rid of that ugly gap in the fender, i am gonna get caster camber plates with my next paycheck so about 2 weeks after i get the springs in, ill get the plates in too, should be ok till then i hope????? Does any one have a picture of their car on the net using the STEEDA springs???? THANKS GUYS
Old 10-04-2000, 06:52 PM   #10
97FORD GEE TEE
Registered Member

One other quick thing? If you have any pics, would you mind emailing me the address to my email of the steeda springs, i am probably gonna purchase them monday. thanks guys

------------------
1997 Mustang GT Laser Red
  • Flowmaster 2 chamber cat-back
  • Mac off-road H-Pipe
  • K & N filter
Old 10-04-2000, 07:17 PM   #11
97snakedriver
Registered Member

I have Steeda's whole setup and it works very well. If you look on their website I think they have pictures. The Steeda and Eibach springs (also very good) both lower the car just about the same amount, so they probably aren't discernable as far as appearence. Both look very good.

You can get away w/o cc plates for a couple weeks, you'll just wear the inside of your front tires a little.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote