MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-31-2001, 06:33 AM   #1
98SNAKE
Registered Member

Talking Mac Cold Air is on

I installed the Mac cold air yesterday, it looks awsome under the hood. And better yet I can feel a huge diffrence. She pull's harder through almost all RPM's. Of course at the top end from 5,000's to about 7,000's is where I can really feel it. My advice if you don't have one get one, I am very happy.

Will

------------------
98Cobra
off road x-pipe, flowmasters, 3.73 rear end(4.30's soon),Mac Cold Air,Ripper Shifter, Nitto Drag Radials
98SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 11:49 AM   #2
King Snake
Registered Member

I also have a MAC cold air kit for my '97 Cobra and noticed an increase in performance. Some people say that you gain nothing by installing one of these, but I could tell a difference. The only downside I could tell is that it made my car idle a little rough. Did this happen to you 98SNAKE?

------------------
'97 Cobra, Rio Red, MAC Cold Air Kit, 3.73s, NGK V-Power
BBK H-pipe w/cats
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 12:17 PM   #3
98SNAKE
Registered Member

Arrow

As of right now I have no idle problems. It's only been on for about 1 whole day. I guess well see in a couple more days if it's going to act up. Have you solved your idle problem?

Will

------------------
98Cobra
off road x-pipe, flowmasters, 3.73 rear end(4.30's soon),Mac Cold Air,Ripper Shifter, Nitto Drag Radials
98SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 09:21 PM   #4
King Snake
Registered Member

Well I wouldn't necessarily call it a "problem" but just a "side effect" of a cold air intake. It is not really rough, but it is not as smooth as it was before I installed it. It really doesn't bother me. I have noticed that when I run the A/C it smooths out for some reason. Someone that posts on this board (can't remember who) told me that if I disconnect my battery to reset the computer and then drive it like I stole it that my idle would smooth out. I have not tried that yet, but I might. I think it is a good mod, despite the slightly rough idle!

------------------
'97 Cobra, Rio Red, MAC Cold Air Kit, 3.73s, NGK V-Power
BBK H-pipe w/cats
Old 06-02-2001, 12:38 AM   #5
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

King Snake.

Thats was me that told you to disconnect your battery. Let me go a little further into Drive it like you stole it.

When you reset the computer by taking out the fuse or disconnecting the battery. Drive the car hard, but dont give it more than 3 quarters throttle. Going over 3/4's throttle will take the computer out of adaptive memory mode, so it really isnt learining anything by flooring it. Do that for about 15 minutes, then let the car idle for a few minutes, drive then let it sit and idle.

The computer has to learn how to idle the car again. You'll notice the idle will be kind of eratic, it might even cut off on you once of twice, but thats common when you reset a computer.

After about a day of driving, any bog should be gone, as for the rough idle, all the 4.6L's Ive rode in and drove (well cobras and 99+ GT) idle kinda rough every now and then. Cant figure that one out. But if its idling exceptionally rough after you installed the cold air, reset the computer and see if the condition improves any.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. Period white wall tires. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car. Mods, Rust, rust, and more rust
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 09:56 AM   #6
King Snake
Registered Member

Thanks again Mercury! I think I will try that today. BTW, how do you like your underdrives? Did they make a noticable difference? I am thinking about getting some Steedas.