MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-11-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
jstrollin711
Registered Member

Default Mass Air Meter

Anyone ever used a 90mm mas on a 2002 gt?? If so what was the out come?
jstrollin711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
Randy@ART
Registered Member

Default Re: Mass Air Meter

We put a 90mm on alot of our cars. They do real good!
Randy@ART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
jstrollin711
Registered Member

do they need any computer changes with that size mass air and 19lbs. inj.!!
Old 02-18-2005, 07:28 AM   #4
Randy@ART
Registered Member

Each manufacturer has there unique way of calibrating a meter and when you order they will calibrate it for your injector size, so no computer changes will need to be made to have the car run. What MAF manufacturer are you considering?
Old 02-18-2005, 11:34 PM   #5
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Randy:

Why on earth are you telling him that? That is not good advice. There is no reason for an 90mm MAF on a car unless you are making some major power. That is a waste of money. The stock MAF and fuel injectors can support upto 350 + rwhp. When the MAF is maxed out, it will read 5 volts. Then you know you are at the end point.

Furthermore the MAF and the fuel injectors need to be matched to eachother and then car will require a tune.

jstrollin, you can do what you want. But check around.

Adding a larger MAF to stock or near-stock GT is not a smart thing to do.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 11:37 PM   #6
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

BTW, a 90 mm MAF if I recall will support something like 700 hp...maybe more. Stock MAF will support at least half that much. Heck, I run 360 rwhp on my stock MAF and fuel injectors will a good a/f. If I were to upgrade my MAF and injectors, I would gain nothing at this point.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 02-20-2005, 11:37 AM   #7
jstrollin711
Registered Member

hay thanks for the input! you all answered my question! I didnt think it would give me a great deal of power it was just a question i was wondering! My car is a 2002 mustang gt with 4.10's ,steeda tri-ax shifter, steeda lower control arms, steeda caster camber plates, Mac pro chamber with cat back 3 1/2 inch tips, bbk 70mm tb, Mac cold air intake, asp pullys, diablo programer, trick flow upper intake plenium. I think thats all but i have a set of micky thompson that i take to the track and the car has ran 13.11 @ 104mph! 1.73 60 ft. thanks for the input
Old 02-21-2005, 07:27 AM   #8
Randy@ART
Registered Member

Blake, don't take this the wrong way...because you are correct, but he asked if "Anyone ever used a 90mm mas on a 2002 gt??" not if it was a good idea to do at this point in his mods The stock is an 80mm and will support some HP with out giving troubles...like pegging the MAF. Only time I deem it necessary to replace a MAF is when it becomes pegged or is the cause of a restriction.

Warmest Regards,
Old 02-21-2005, 03:39 PM   #9
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy@ART
Blake, don't take this the wrong way...because you are correct, but he asked if "Anyone ever used a 90mm mas on a 2002 gt??" not if it was a good idea to do at this point in his mods The stock is an 80mm and will support some HP with out giving troubles...like pegging the MAF. Only time I deem it necessary to replace a MAF is when it becomes pegged or is the cause of a restriction.

Warmest Regards,
OK, we are on the same page. I understand.

(let's have a beer).

Blake

My Stang:
Old 02-21-2005, 03:42 PM   #10
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrollin711
hay thanks for the input! you all answered my question! I didnt think it would give me a great deal of power it was just a question i was wondering! My car is a 2002 mustang gt with 4.10's ,steeda tri-ax shifter, steeda lower control arms, steeda caster camber plates, Mac pro chamber with cat back 3 1/2 inch tips, bbk 70mm tb, Mac cold air intake, asp pullys, diablo programer, trick flow upper intake plenium. I think thats all but i have a set of micky thompson that i take to the track and the car has ran 13.11 @ 104mph! 1.73 60 ft. thanks for the input

Looks like you are really setting your car up nicely!

Do yourself a favor and avoid the MAF upgrade for now. Ford did us a big favor in reality with the stock MAF design. It actually works pretty well.

BTW, if you get some adjustable front shocks and put them on the soft setting, I bet you will brake into the 12's.

My Stang:
Old 02-21-2005, 05:48 PM   #11
jstrollin711
Registered Member

well thanks for the advice! I havent been to the track since I added the lower control arms or the mac pro chamber so I dont know if they will make that big of a difference! We will see first week of March our track opens up for test and tune! Hopefully thing go well! Ill let you know!
Old 02-22-2005, 07:23 AM   #12
Randy@ART
Registered Member

Cool Blake...let me know if your every over in Ohio, the first one's on me
Old 02-23-2005, 12:28 AM   #13
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I'll be driving through over Easter! With the wife and kids, though.

I do want to get out to Modular Depot if they ever have a show or something like that.

My Stang: