MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-05-2001, 10:31 AM   #1
KWhite
Registered Member

Question MIL Eliminators??

I'm still learning about these Mustangs. I was wondering what the MIL Elimiators were. Is it to keep the CE light from coming on after an exhaust installation? Also, what's the best performance chip to buy for the money. This is my wifes daily driver but my new toy. Thanks for all your help.

Keith
'96 GT
K&N Filter So Far.
KWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 11:20 AM   #2
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

You're right about the MIL'S but unless you are getting rid of your cats altogether you shouldn't need them. Do you have a 5 speed or an auto? If you have a 5 speed I wouldn't mess with a performance chip. It will help a tad with an auto but for the money you'd spend it would be worth just saving for something else. Chips won't give you nearly the gains that they claim unless you are having one custom burned after some serious mods. Most people will suggest that you start with some gears - nothing less than 3:73's for a 5 speed. They should cost you around $400 installed (roughly) and will really wake the car up. Keep in mind as well that simply swapping out the exhuast from the cats back will not really net you any hp. It's pretty much a "sound" mod. That in conjunction with a hiflow X or H pipe will help a lot.

Brett

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 01:38 PM   #3
KWhite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefan:
You're right about the MIL'S but unless you are getting rid of your cats altogether you shouldn't need them. Do you have a 5 speed or an auto? If you have a 5 speed I wouldn't mess with a performance chip. It will help a tad with an auto but for the money you'd spend it would be worth just saving for something else. Chips won't give you nearly the gains that they claim unless you are having one custom burned after some serious mods. Most people will suggest that you start with some gears - nothing less than 3:73's for a 5 speed. They should cost you around $400 installed (roughly) and will really wake the car up. Keep in mind as well that simply swapping out the exhuast from the cats back will not really net you any hp. It's pretty much a "sound" mod. That in conjunction with a hiflow X or H pipe will help a lot.

Brett

Thanks Brett. I'll probably hold off on the chip then.
Old 06-05-2001, 03:52 PM   #4
KWhite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhite:
I'm still learning about these Mustangs. I was wondering what the MIL Elimiators were. Is it to keep the CE light from coming on after an exhaust installation? Also, what's the best performance chip to buy for the money. This is my wifes daily driver but my new toy. Thanks for all your help.

Keith
'96 GT
K&N Filter So Far.

Old 06-05-2001, 06:37 PM   #5
CountZero
Registered Member

Just my .02 but the first thing I did was install a BBk hi flow H-pipe and a set of Flowmaster American Thunders. Stock GT pipe is 2.25, the BBK and Flowmasters are 2.5. It made a noticeable difference and sounds great too
CountZero is offline   Reply With Quote