MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-17-2002, 10:49 PM   #1
wade73
Registered Member

Lightbulb million dollar question!!

question of the night:

steeda or saleen?

which is better and why?

"Get in, sit down, shut up and HANG ON"
wade73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 10:51 PM   #2
96GTPRT
Registered Member

Wink

How about a little bit of both???
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 10:55 PM   #3
wade73
Registered Member

true enough...but given the choice, which is better? by better i mean quality, cost vs what you get out of it, warranty, support?

if someone said, here is your choice saleen or steeda, which would you choose?

personally i think steeda's stuff is a little easier on the checking / visa acct but how does it stack up to saleen's?

Old 04-17-2002, 11:00 PM   #4
96GTPRT
Registered Member

Well are we talking parts or like cars that come modified? like the the S281??
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 12:25 AM   #5
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

I would say Steeda, they aren't as expensive as Saleen and their cars are just as fast. I love mine. I am kinda partial to Steeda though.. Steeda techs are nice and easy to deal with. The sales reps are always helpful on the phone, and not once have they tried to sell me something I didn't need or couldn't use. Their parts are all top notch!!

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 08:24 AM   #6
wade73
Registered Member

i am talking in a pure parts aspect, not going down to your local ford dealer and signing the house away on a car...just the parts your average shadetree mechanic can buy and for the most part, install themselves...

Old 04-18-2002, 10:38 AM   #7
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

Sorry, guess I wasn't too clear last time. That is what I did on my car. We bought it plain, used at a Chevy dealer and proceeded to modify it. You can see the progression at my website. I have a timeline and picures of every step of the conversion to a SteedaGT. I have been working with the Mgr of New Vehicle Serialization at Steeda Autosports in Florida.

http://www.superrobots.net/

At the bottom of my main page click on the link to My Steeda Mustang.

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 07:33 PM   #8
Illini
Registered Member

Default depends on what you want.

Steeda for the engine; pulleys, timing adjuster, that kind of stuff. For suspension, I don't know, saleen seems pretty high on there stuff, compared to Maximum Motorsports and steeda. I like MM suspension parts better, next up for me is a MM panhard bar. Sidenote; I called steeda not to long ago when I ordered my subs and front sway bar and the guy I talked to was a cock sucker, half way through the procedure he starts telling me mustang suspensions suck and blah blah blah. And then he's got the balls to put me on hold for another call. SO, I hang up on that fuckstick and call back this time I talked to a little more courteous rep bought the parts I wanted no problem.
steeda underdrives, timing adjuster, triax, C&L maf, MM strut tower brace and k-member brace, Steeda subs weld-in, steeda tubular front sway bar, bullitt springs ,struts(tokico's)and shocks, bullitt gas door, alum.pedals, MM panhard Bar, cobra 13" front brake upgrade. ON THE WAY TO BECOMING A TRACK *****
66' 2 dr malibu;
355 cube 4-bolt main, steel crank, chevy pink rods, KB 10.7 to1 pistons, ported double humps 202&160, torkerII intake, rejetted holley 650 D.P., crane ignition box, comp.cam roller rockers& 280 degree cam, balanced to 8500 rpm, hooker super comps, 3000 rpm stall and built turbo 350 tranny. dynoed at 543hp and 582 tq
Illini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 06:56 AM   #9
surfbeast
Registered Member

Steeda and Saleen both have their good bad aspects. Of course the Saleen parts are more expensive! They make great parts for a car that has a great rep. and their cars sell from 35 - 560,000 bucks. You pay more for the name, People outside the Mustang world know the Saleen name, BUT Sallen service sucks and their tech web site sucks. They are more geared to the RICH guy who wants a fast toy or the all out racers with plenty of cash.

Steeda has a pretty great service dept, sells good quality parts for the average mustang guys. If a steeda service guy gives you a bad time call there boss and let them know! Steeda will have just as good or better quality parts than Saleen and they already far surpass them in service.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:46 AM   #10
steedamustang01
Registered Member

OKAY THIS IS GOING TO BE HARD... I HAVE A 2001 STEEDA CONVERSION.. I HAVE MAINLY STEEDA PARTS BUT AS FAR AS SUPPENION I HAVE SALEEN. I LOVE THEM BOTH... BUT IF I HAD TO PICK (AND HAD THE MONEY) I WOULD GO SALEEN. ONE OF MY BEST FRIENDS HAS A 2000 S-281 AND EVERYTIME I SEE IT (NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I SEE IT) , IT MAKES ME WANT TO CREAM MY PAINTS. STEEDA IS BAD @$$ BUT I THINK SALEEN HAS IT ALL.
MODS: - Painted Side Mirrors, Straight Pipes, K&N Filtercharger, Modified Air Silencer, Steeda Tremex 3650 Short Throw Tri-Ax Shifter, Saleen MOMO Shifter, Custom Painted Interior, Modified Saleen Racecraft Progressive Sport Springs SLAMMED 3 1/2 inches, Saleen S-281 Wing, Saleen chrome wheels 18x9 front and 18x10 rear, Saleen Locking Lugs, 265-35-ZR18 Toyo Proxes T1-S's, White Face Indiglo Gauges, 9007 Silver Star HID Headlights, Personalized Licence Plate " 2L8 I 1 " (To Late I Won), Chrome Bumper Decal inserts, Lowered Windshield Wiper MOD, MAC Offset rack bushings, 5% Limo Window Tint.
steedamustang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 11:45 AM   #11
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

As far as looks I give it to Saleen. All else pretty much stinks. I know ALOT of Saleen owners and have been around the Saleen realm a while and for the most part the owners are VERY dissatisfied. Especially with service. Their parts or OK but not the best. How about suspensions, especially shocks, that only last 2000 miles (5000 at the max)? And then a warranty that only covers the first 5000 miles and after that you're on your own? How about spending the money for a S351 and then the motor only lasting 50,000 miles (seems to be the usual life expectancy of that car)? And then there's the roots blower problems in the S281SC. I'll stop there.
Very overpriced. Saleen is overrated. Now if you want to get specific that S7 is sweet as well as the new S281-E. Who's going to buy a S7 though (granted mainly just built for the GTS race scene)? There's probably some very satisfied Saleen owners out there I'm sure, but for the most part Saleen is very overrated. You're paying for the name. The older stuff was better than the new stuff is, though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: