MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-11-2002, 08:48 PM   #1
noney16
Registered Member

Default switching oil

i currently run mobil 1 in my stang. I was wondering if it would hurt the motor if i switched back to conventional motor oil. the mobil 1 site says that you can mix the mobil 1 and regular oil because the mobil 1 has a regular oil base instead of a synthetic base.... so basically what i got outta that is that mobil 1 is regular oil with additives. Any way would it hurt my motor if i switched back to regular oil??
noney16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 02:41 AM   #2
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

It won't hurt anything.
Old 04-12-2002, 03:55 AM   #3
PKRWUD

Mobil 1 does not have a conventional oil base, it is pure synthetic. There are minute traces of mineral oil that is used as a carrier for the additives, but the oil itself is synthetic. As far as mixing the two, their website says:

Quote:
Mobil 1 is compatible with conventional motor oil, should it be necessary to mix the two. The additive package in Mobil 1 has been specifically developed to work with its synthetic base fluids, so diluting Mobil 1 with conventional oil will reduce the superior performance characteristics of Mobil 1. While mixing conventional oil and Mobil 1 is acceptable, we do not recommend mixing different types of synthetic oils, since they may be composed of different synthetic base fluids. Change the oil and filter before changing from another synthetic oil to Mobil 1.
Switching back to conventional oil will please your wallet more than it will please your engine, but as long as you change it and the filter regularly, you will probably be okay.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote