MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-03-2001, 11:02 PM   #1
2001SILVER GT
Registered Member

Question mods

well i just got my brand new silver 2001 gt convertible and i am looking to turn it into a street legal(because its a daily driver) monster. I would like to put a body kit on it and im torn between a steeda, saleen or xenon(i think) what are your thoughts.
also i would like to increase horsepower, top speed and overall performance also.i'd like to put in a super or turbo charger and anything else that could get me to at least a california emmissions legal 350hp what do you think i could do that with is it possible?
money isnt an issue yet just trying to get some ideas although a price estimate would be nice
thanks for any help,
2001SILVER GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 11:54 PM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

There are a number of superchargers legal even in CA, Vortec and Saleen for example. That alone will get you your 350 hp.

Other then that, where are you? Emission laws very greatly from state to state, ect.

As far as body kits, you're on your own, although for what its worth, Saleen has a very poor suport rep, while Steeda has exactly the opposite.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 04:11 AM   #3
2001SILVER GT
Registered Member

i am just north of san diego. i Have decided to put the body work on hold till i am done with the performance.
thanks.
Old 01-04-2001, 11:06 AM   #4
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Supercharger all the way, I'd suggest vortech, easily good for 350RWHP on your stang which I'm pretty sure is close to 400 flywheel.

------------------
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34 mph before the headers and hpipe
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 12:20 PM   #5
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

I'm assuming that you are talking about 350hp at the flywheel? If so, it's much cheaper to go with NOS. Shoot, a 100hp shot will put you at 360 from your stock 260hp. And that's plenty safe, just make sure your system is all tuned correctly. About $500 for NOS vs. about $3000 for supercharger. Go with the supercharger if you are wanting more hp than that. Also, especially with that vert, I would HIGHLY recommend putting on subframe connectors to stiffen the chassis and help with traction/launching/handling. Also a strut tower brace.
Also gears, gears, gears. Go with at least 4.10s. You have a very heavy car and those modular motors love to wind up and you need the gearing to get you into your powerband faster. Do you have a 5 speed or automatic transmission? Get a different shifter for your 5speed, too. The stock ones are horrible.
Underdrive pullies would be great also. K&N filter and remove the air silencer. Lower it, too, but don't go over 1.5 inches or it will ruin your suspension. Hope this helps get you started. Welcome aboard.
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 04:13 PM   #6
GTGrl00
Stang Chic Extraordinaire

Cool

Procharger makes a street legal, no oil line supercharger. check out their website www.procharger.com. I'm looking to invest in one of those, gotta save up!

------------------
Yours in SPEED=======D
Mandy aka GTGRL00
GTGrl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 04:23 PM   #7
cravnpup
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GTGrl00:
Procharger makes a street legal, no oil line supercharger. check out their website www.procharger.com. I'm looking to invest in one of those, gotta save up!

A word to the wise: Be careful with the Procharger setup. They have kits that put out a bunch of boost, but they also have some oiling issues with the self contained system. It's not fun when your supercharger starts spewing oil into your engine under boost...
cravnpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 04:34 PM   #8
97snakedriver
Registered Member

If you want to stay 100% street legal with out fudging it at all, then that eliminates ears, H or X-pipes, most headers, and a lot of engine parts.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 06:00 PM   #9
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

Good decision on the kit. Wait until she performs first. STEEDA's kit = Xenon
Simple path.
1) gears 4.10s
2) suspension - your choice a lot of kits and providers. But are you going to go with straight line performance or will you plan on turns.
Stage 3, STEEDA has a good contained package. For starters.
3)headers - long tube for max hp though.
4)X pipes - your choice on provider
5)mufflers - again your choice on sound preference
Note: S351s were made in Ca. You probably shouldn't sweat the emissions thing until you have enough money to do engine work.
Speaking of which ...
6)forged internals ... pistons, rods to sustain the forced iunduction beating you're planning.
7)Al drive shaft save weight on rotational mass (small mod but worth it-considering your goals)
8) choice of forced induction ... by this time you should know which kit to go with.
Vortech - Paxton; Centri kits make higher hp for strip racing.

Right now ... read up on S/Cs that are out there now. Once you've paid for 1-7 you'll have your mid made up on #8.

Making 350rwhp - - easy. Making the money to get there is the hard part. Spending is easy.
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 03:27 AM   #10
2001SILVER GT
Registered Member

Talking

Thanks for all you guys' help ill think about it all then as most of you mentioned think about the $$$ thanks again
Old 01-05-2001, 06:26 AM   #11
EXAM1999
Registered Member

Congrats on the car. Before I would go carving into this car, I would definitely check with the dealer you bought the car from or a few in your area to see if they are mod friendly. No one here can tell you how they are going to react to mods so I would ask a service manager. If you don't care, like I didn't because I do all of the work myself, then disregard this and have fun with mods. Also check to see who near you has experience dynotuning 99-00 cars with blowers using Autologic software before you get one. The tuning on these things are far different than older ones with return lines. I'm going through tuning issues right now.

------------------
99 Silver GT
4R70W, ProTorque TC(3200), Transgo, FMS Cooler, Synth. ATF & 3.73 gears
Mac L/T, Cat-H, Borla Cat-back
V2 S-trim, AFR p/p, 70mm t/body, Pro-M80, 42# inj., 255lph pump, JMS chip
D&D K, A-arms, Coil-overs, KB Super Subs, Mac Adj. UCA/LCA, MM C/C Plates

EXAM1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 08:22 PM   #12
RedLilPony
It's been awhile, huh?

Angry

DO NOT buy the xenon ground effects!!!
I have them on my 99 GT and while they do look good, they are horrible! the paint wont stay on the xenon ground effects and the ground effects wont even stay on the car. it is constant maintence.

Jodi
Red 68 GT FB 4M
Blk 99 GT CP 5M
RedLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote