MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-13-2000, 02:09 AM   #1
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Post Modular Poll

Modular Madness seems to be taking off pretty well, so I'm just curious about the regulars around here. Are you guys fairly new to Mustangs, (1st one a modular)? What made you decide to buy the car you did? Did you (or are you) into modding your car for performance? If so, what have you done, and are you happy with the results?

I just curious. I grew up watching my brother-and-law work on his old '85 (which is pretty quick) since I was 12, so it seemed strange to me that people, usually newer buyers, sometimes don't modify their 'Stangs. I bought mine with the thought: Its quick, but I want it fast!! for a reasonable amount of money. Just curious.

------------------
'97 Cobra, K&N, Flowmaster, subframes, 4.10 gears, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Steeda G-Trac 3, Cobra R wheels w/ Goodyear F1s

Damnish Grammer:

[This message has been edited by 97snakedriver (edited 04-13-2000).]
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2000, 09:44 AM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Cool

I've always wanted a Mustang since I was a kid. My first Mustang was an 85 coupe that I bought after I graduated high school in 89.
That car lasted through my first 2 years in the Navy before my friend totaled it while I was on a six month deployment. While I loved the car, I waited to buy another one until after I was out of the service and married.

I bought my 98 GT coupe right after they came out. This was the first vehicle that I started seriously modding. (Springs, Nitrous, and X/H-pipe are on the way)
Now we have three Mustangs:
98 GT, 88 GT (Daily Driver), 83 GT (Being restored in the garage)

------------------
98 GT
Dyno-Max cat-back exhaust, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, Ford Motorsport Underdrive pullies, 87mm MAF and Roush cold air kit...

Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2000, 04:40 PM   #3
T-Bone
Registered Member

I never was into mustangs when I was younger. My first car was a 83 Honda, my second was an 86 Toyota MR2 when I was a Senior in HS in 91', which I thought was fast. Haha, I know,funny. A good friend of mine was looking at getting an MR2 like mine. His good ol' backwoods dad took him to the Ford dealer where He got a 91'Mustang GT AOD. I took one ride in it and was like "HOLY SH1T, NOW THATS POWER". After that I never looked at my little 4 cylinder ricer the same and from then on wanted a 5.0. At that time though, I had a wreck on my driving record and was paying $250/mo. for insurance on that MR2(more than the car payment). A 5.0 was like $300 plus for me for insurance. I only had the MR2 for 1 1/2 years.
Eight years later(25 years old and married), I can finally afford the insurance at $125/mo for my 96'GT, 96'Windstar, and 83'Prelude.
I decided on my particular car because I wanted to trade in my 94' Grand Am SE in on a Mustang. I had a year left to pay on it. I live in North Dakota now, where 5.0 are almost scarce. I originally wanted a Fox body, but fiqured I wouldn't be able to finance a car that old. Then I drove by the local Pontiac/Honda dealer one Friday night, and saw this bad a$$ 96' on their display ramp. I was like "WOW, that car will be mine". I did some research over the weekend on the internet for pricing and such, test drove it Monday, and on Tuesday it was in my driveway.
Long story I know, but YOU ASKED FOR IT!

------------------
96' GT
5-speed,K&N air filter,Roush Cold Air kit,80mm MAF,Mac Cat-Back,Mac Pro Chamber H-Pipe

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select654.htm
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2000, 01:47 AM   #4
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm interested in where people came from. I guess as long as other people are relating, I'll tell my history.

I'm 21 years old, senior in college: computer engineering at Virginia Tech (Go Hokies!) My first experience with Mustangs was "helping" my brother-and-law mess with his '85 GT when I was about 12. By helping, I mean holding and fetching tools, why he worked on various things and explained how they worked. 6 years later, Jonathon, my sister's boy friend, became my sister's husband.

When I was 17 my Dad bought me a '93 Nissan Altima. It was a good car; not too fast, didn't handle too well, and sure isn't modifiable, but was comfortable and reliable. Finally when I was 20, I made a deal with my Dad to give my Nissan to my sister (who needed it badly) and he would provide finaincing for the Cobra. By luck I found one for $20,900 with only 7,000 miles. The owner had had an accident (not in the car) and as a result had a cronic bad left knee. As result, he could not work the clutch without pain. All he wanted was for some one to take over the balance of his finaincing. At the time, that was about $3G less then the book value of the car. And it was perfect. The car had been babied and he had all the paper work to back it up. The guy was a Ford nut and very friendly ("Warm her up before you hit it." he said on the test drive.)

Needlest to say, I bought it. Almost 2 years and $10G (only $11G to go) later, I have the Cobra and love the hell out of it. I bought the car with every intention of modding it. I believe that is one of the big advantages to 'stangs. I bought the K&N on the way home; next were the gears and subframes, then the suspension, and in about 2 weeks: headers, X-pipe, and alum. drive shaft. God I love that car!

------------------
'97 Cobra, K&N, Flowmaster, subframes, 4.10 gears, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Steeda G-Trac 3, Cobra R wheels w/ Goodyear F1s
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2000, 05:03 AM   #5
Dino
Registered Member

This is my second stang. The first one was a 86GT Conv. Then I bought this one back in Nov. It's a 96 GT 5spd. So far I've added 3.55's, cat H-pipe, silencer removed, Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. I'm pleased with the car, it's comfortable and decently quick. I used to have an 81 CJ and then an 87 YJ. Sometimes I regret buying the stang because I LOVE Jeeps. Sometimes I feel like I should have bought a 95 YJ or a 97+ TJ instead of the stang. But I guess I can get one of those when the stang is paid off.
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2000, 08:53 AM   #6
RedTwilight
Registered Member

When I was young I didn't really want a Mustang because everyone had one. I wanted a Ford that much was certain. When I turned 16 (I am 20 now)my dad and I went looking for a cheap vehicle for me to drive. Looked at a couple of Mustangs (was really looking for a small truck). One Mustang was an '82 4 cylinder the other was an '84 v6 coupe. Ended up getting the coupe. Had it a year before my dad fell asleep while coming home from work and totalled it. Went looking again for a vehicle (this time I definetly wanted a Mustang). Found an '86 5.0 LX hatchback. Had it about 2 1/2 years before I came upon a beutiful Laser Red '96 Cobra. Now I have both the Cobra and the LX.
And the rest they say is history.

------------------
'96 Cobra
'86 5.0 LX
RedTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2000, 11:56 AM   #7
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

I have always loved Mustangs but never had an opp. to own one. I always had friends in high school that had them but they tore them up pretty bad. I was always jealous because I wanted one. I went all through my university years and never had the money. Then I Met the girl who is now my wife. She had a 66 coupe sitting in her garage and I knew she was for me. Last May we walked into a great deal on 96 GT Convertible that we couldn't pass up. We looked for almost two years and found nothing but junk - finally at the tender age of 29... my first toy! I am ready to mod the car out but my wallet isn't yet. I am saving so I can start with gears and the other usuals. I will never get rid of the Stangs we have - we're just going to get more (i'm greedy). I get extremely impatient to start the mods but then I have to sit back and be happy I atleast have a Stang ( let alone 2 of 'em).

Just addin' to the pot.

Thanks

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers(not installed yet), Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
K&N (more to come)
Where'd my money go?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2000, 03:10 PM   #8
Ripper
Registered Member

Cool

My dad always had great cars, Porsche 911s, Vettes, Mercedes 450SL, and Datsun 260z. He had the Porsches when I was old enough to drive so I'll always love them.

I had a friend with an 89GT years ago but I only recently caught Mustang fever. In Oct. 98 I bought a 1995 GT, mint, as my second car. I have a friend who's really into mustangs and is building his own mustang drag car (super street division?). So, I bought a K&N, a tune up kit, tri-ax shifter, pulleys and we got to work on it. The pulleys were great. In May 1999, the car was totaled, not my fault and I still miss that car.

Now, I have a 99GT. I just put on pulleys, K&N, and a strut tower brace. I have subframes w/cross braces but they are not on yet. I plan on getting a cat x-pipe and 3.73s before I run the car at the track (hoping for high 13s). This car is much quicker than the 95GT but I think the 4.6 lacks a little identity. Everyone nows the 5.0 and what it can do but not the 4.6. I think time will solve that problem.

Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2000, 11:23 PM   #9
ShinyGT
Registered Member

For me, it started with a '90 eclipse. I got the car when I was a senior in high school so it was kinda a graduation present to myself (was my first car.) Well the car was fine for my first year and a half of college, then the transmission went out. Well I found out that it was only going to cost 1200 bucks to have it REBUILT, but I had no other choice, but I started looking.

Ended up I bought a red '95 LX (the 3.8L kind.) Well a friend of mine (even though he IS a camaro owner) kept telling me that I needed a V-8, that there was nothing like driving a V-8. So, since he kept bugging me, I again started looking, though this time was for a Z28 (don't disown me yet! It ends up okay!) I never could find the one I wanted though, and didn't bother to drive them since I knew I wasn't going to get one. I wasn't going to get an automatic. Anyway, on my way to work everyday I passed this place and the guy had a white '96 GT sitting out front that never seemed to move, so I called to see what he was asking. When he told me I started seeing how I could afford it. After a little coaxing (a lot actually) my dad went with me to testdrive it and it was love at first...drive? That next monday we finally got the loan through and on my way to work I stopped to pick up my new '96 GT (new to me.)

As for mods, right now the car has a nice set of Cobra 'R' wheels and an H-pipe. A set of springs and a new gear (probably a 3.73) are next on the list, after that I have yet to decide, any suggestions? I've seen some heads and intakes from FRPP and Steeda, anyone with experiece with them or maybe I should go a different direction instead?

Ohh yeah, as for the LX I had, my mom wouldn't let me trade it in 'cus she wanted it. So now she drives it and it sits in the driveway, while my shiny GT is in the garage. <g>

ShinyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2000, 02:51 PM   #10
96cobra89Lx306

I think I've driven just about anything but here is my list
78 bonneville
85 subaru gl-10
85 Honda CRX si
86 Toyota MR2
89 mustang GT convt.
87 mustang coupe totalled in rollover crash.
89 lx coupe bad *** car until sold(carbed)
96 Cobra love it but I want the new body style and more power.
93 Probe Gt revs like the Cobra with less power and beat an 85 Mustang Gt in a race with it the other day.

I love the modular engine. It is like a 5.0 but can really take a serious beating in the upper RPM's, where it can be deadly to a unprepaired 5.0. If it had a tad more torque it would be the best engine on the streets for the money, hands down. Gears take care of that problem nicely.

------------------
(96Cobra/softtop-3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes+shifter,eibachspgs,pulleys,Bassani X pipe,C&L 80mm
Cobra DYNO 301rwhp horsepower w/out steeda timing adjuster
93 Ford Probe Gt(slower but turns)

[This message has been edited by 96cobra89Lx306 (edited 04-17-2000).]
Old 04-19-2000, 09:36 AM   #11
GaryDawg
Registered Member

Cool

I wasn't originally looking for a Mustang, I looked at the Camaros but the salesmen seemed very disinterested in selling me anything. Then I looked at the Mustangs and this HOT saleswoman just totally seduced me with her short skirt and a shiny black '97 Pony. I bought it. It was a V6 and an automatic and I started wishing it were a V8. Within a year I got in an accident and totalled the black pony. As soon as the insurance paid off I went back to look for Rachel to buy another Mustang. She was no longer there but they treated me real well and sold me my current '98 GT Convertible. I love this car. I WILL be adding mods as time and money permits. I just ordered my Super Subs and Matrix kit from Kenny Brown.
http://home.earthlink.net/~siriusmoon/ponyrear.html

------------------
'98 Rio Red (Clearcoat) Ragtop Mustang GT
3.27 optional ratio axle
17" Pony Sport wheels
K&N Air charger
Removed Air Silencer
Great lookin blonde passenger!
Vegas Baby!!!
Next to come...
Kenny Brown Extreme Matrix Kit (they are in the mail!!)
Steeda shifter
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2000, 10:07 AM   #12
Ch4nce
Registered Member

Lightbulb

I'm 20 years old and employed fulltime. I never really wanted a Mustang or a Ford for that matter until I found my new 1999 Mustang GT. This car had everything, it is the 35th Anniversary Edition which came with the leather interior and the enlarged hood and door scoops. If you want to see a pic of it you can go here: http://www.angelfire.com/nt/meast/images/rearleft3.jpg

Anyways, I also attended Virginia Tech for a short time and was majoring in Computer Engineering. Didnt know 97snakedriver though, if i had stayed in school I would never have gotten my mustang. I am slowly working on upgrading it even though I know very little about cars, the one mod I have done so far is to add a K&N Air filter to it. My next project is to add either a Flowmaster Exhaust system or a Borla one. Havent decided which I should get yet. If you guys have any suggestions please let me know. Also I look to add a set of headers to my car as well and eventually a supercharger. Going to try my best to get her up to 400 Horsepower. Getting tired of getting smoked by Z28's...Tho 260 Horsepower is the fastest of the Modular engines, it still cant compare to the 305 Horsepower of the Camaros 350 engine. So I am looking to upgrade as much as possible. If anyone has any suggestions for me please send them along. You can email me at ch4nce@yahoo.com or just post another reply.
Ch4nce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2000, 02:39 PM   #13
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I came from a ford family. My dad has always been a ford fan and an owner of four mustangs through out his life. I naturally was born into a ford family it is just in my blood. I have never been apart of any other kind of car. My 69 mustang was given to me by my parents. It had been siting on the side of the house for ten years doing nothing. I could not belive my parts let me have it. My fahter and I went right into trun it into a race car. This was my only car and it is hard to drive on the street so I had toget another car and I just naturally got a mustang. I went with a 96 because i already had the 69. Plus my dad has a 94 t-brid with the mod motor and it has been very reliable so i wanted to go with a mod mustang.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet:bored .030, forged aluminum pistons, C & A rings, Engle cam, Edelbrock intake, 750 cmf carb, Hooker headers, March pullies, all ignition componets MSD, Holley 7psi fuel pump, Art Carr C-6, TCI torque converter, 4:30 gears, H pipe, subframe connectors, lift bars.

I aso have a stock 96 GT soon to change.
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote