MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-05-2001, 10:36 AM   #1
KWhite
Registered Member

Smile More Questions!?!

I am curious as to what size the factory exhaust is on a '96 GT? 2.5" or 2.25"?

Thanks,
Keith
KWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 11:23 AM   #2
King Snake
Registered Member

It is definitely not 2.5". The Cobras have 2.25" so I would guess the GTs are the same.

------------------
'97 Cobra, Rio Red, MAC Cold Air Kit, 3.73s, NGK V-Power
BBK H-pipe w/cats
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 01:44 PM   #3
KWhite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by King Snake:
It is definitely not 2.5". The Cobras have 2.25" so I would guess the GTs are the same.

Thanks King Snake. Since they have done away with Vehicle inspections in Okla. I may get a HighFlow H pipe without the cats. Can I bolt the factory mufflers and tailpipes right to the H pipe or is there something else I would need to buy with the H pipe.

Thanks for the help.
Keith

Old 06-05-2001, 02:12 PM   #4
98SNAKE
Registered Member

Lightbulb

KWhite as long as you get an H-Pipe for a 96 GT it will bolt right in. There is a difference between in auto and manual trans pipe, so make sure you tell who ever you by the pipe from. Will

------------------
98Cobra
off road x-pipe, flowmasters, 3.73 rear end(4.30's soon),Mac Cold Air,Ripper Shifter, Nitto Drag Radials
98SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 02:16 PM   #5
KWhite
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by 98SNAKE:
KWhite as long as you get an H-Pipe for a 96 GT it will bolt right in. There is a difference between in auto and manual trans pipe, so make sure you tell who ever you by the pipe from. Will

Gots it, tanx!
Old 06-05-2001, 02:38 PM   #6
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

You might want to check on whether to skip the cats altogether on your 96. Our first gen 4.6's are weaker than the 99 and up and without other serious engine mods I think the extra bit of backpressure is needed. I could be wrong but in your application as it stands I think you'd get better torque from a hiflow (2 cat) pipe. Someone else can chime in to correct me if i'm wrong
There is a disadvantage in price, though, as the pipe with cats will be a couple hundred more bucks.

Brett

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 03:04 PM   #7
KWhite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefan:
You might want to check on whether to skip the cats altogether on your 96. Our first gen 4.6's are weaker than the 99 and up and without other serious engine mods I think the extra bit of backpressure is needed. I could be wrong but in your application as it stands I think you'd get better torque from a hiflow (2 cat) pipe. Someone else can chime in to correct me if i'm wrong
There is a disadvantage in price, though, as the pipe with cats will be a couple hundred more bucks.

Brett

Yeah, I think Hooker has a system worth checking into. I'm still shopping and I still have a lot to learn.

Thanks Brett.

Old 06-06-2001, 07:21 AM   #8
King Snake
Registered Member

Or you can do like I did and get an offroad pipe for $150-175 and buy a couple of Dynomax hi-flow cats for $50 a piece and have them welded in the offroad pipe. You can save $100 or more in doing this and the end result is the same. The main reason I did this is that I already had the offroad pipe. It was on my car when I bought it and it was much too loud, not to mention it set the Check Engine light. Anyway, I am very happy with the results.

------------------
'97 Cobra, Rio Red, MAC Cold Air Kit, 3.73s, NGK V-Power
BBK H-pipe w/cats
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote