MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-05-2005, 02:49 PM   #1
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Default Motor Oil In Alternator/How Do I Clean?

Don't ask me how this happened (it was a mistake of my own, not a fault of the engine) I spilled a little motor oil on the top pulley of my 2001 Mustang GT, some of it got in the alternator after running the engine a few times, now whenever I turn the engine on I hear this loud hissing from the alternator. The car runs fine, no overheating or smoke, but starts in the second turn of the key, not the first. And of course that loud vaccum-like sound. Whats the best way to fix this or will I need a new alternator? For reference the engine is stock except for a cold air intake that I attached.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
kighzer

Default Re: Motor Oil In Alternator/How Do I Clean?

Try WD-40 Safe for electronic equipment
Old 10-22-2005, 01:56 PM   #3
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Actually it was a burned-out bearing on the smooth idler pulley, the thing was SCREAMING. So I wrapped a long piece of soddering wire around the tensioner pulley, wrapped the wire around my hand with a glove and a towel and yanked the pulley back just enough to remove the serpentine belt...(there is NO freakin ratchet size that fits that damn tensioner pulley)...anyway I replaced the pulley and it fixed the noise. I would'nt recommend doing it THIS was for anyone else unless you wanna hurt your hand or wake the neighborhood up with loud language and take three hours to complete...thats' my way. From now on I'm taking the stupid car over to Ford.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:13 PM   #4
kighzer

LOL, next time use a Half inch rachet. That square hole on the tension arm is there for a reason.